HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No MB did not screw up by trading picks or overpaying for players, he screwed up by systematically destroying a pretty decent core and replacing it with pure garbage.
Over the past 6 full seasons, and this his 7th offseason, this guy is a loaded gun, making bad decisions, over and over and over, and I am amazed that the media and fans in Montreal have put up with he and Molson...amazed.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We could have been 1-2 years away had we drafted 1st overall this year and got a franchise dman. Now, we're looking at best at a 4-5 years since none of our prospects will be in their prime anytime soon. Drafting 1st overall (Hughes) next year could help, but it still won't be enough to make the Habs relevant in 2-3 years.

It's gonna take time. Hopefully, they do it right this time.

If the Habs draft Hughes as you say, they will be relevant quickly. Hughes is at Austin Matthews level. It’ll be adding a #1C from Day 1.

Scottish Hab

Mar 2, 2018
Glasgow
Anyone know when the individual game tickets for 2018/2019 go on sale, I am based overseas and I can't seem to find much information online?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Over the past 6 full seasons, and this his 7th offseason, this guy is a loaded gun, making bad decisions, over and over and over, and I am amazed that the media and fans in Montreal have put up with he and Molson...amazed.
I am amazed that his direct involvement into the destruction is now being glazed over by so many. The mess, the rebuild is all because of his stupidity, lack of plan, lack of strategy. Now we are commending him for being frugal. He put this organization in this position. He should never be allowed to make anymore decisions but yet, here he is continuing the destruction. You can’t make this shit up!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am amazed that his direct involvement into the destruction is now being glazed over by so many. The mess, the rebuild is all because of his stupidity, lack of plan, lack of strategy. Now we are commending him for being frugal. He put this organization in this position. He should never be allowed to make anymore decisions but yet, here he is continuing the destruction. You can’t make this **** up!
Hey, if Poile can go from zero to hero, maybe Bergevin can too ?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Time to move Danault+Scherbak for some help on LD. With the depth we have in playmaking Ws and 3-4 Cs, there's not really room for either long term.

Go into the season with:

Max - Drouin - Armia
Domi - Peca - Gallagher
Hudon - Plek - Lehkonen
Byron - DLR - Shaw/Deslauriers

In 2 years:

Max - 2019 1st - Drouin
Domi - Kotka - Gallagher
Hudon - Poehling - Lehkonen
Byron - DLR/Olofsson - Armia

Ylonen probably comes in for Gallagher if his body starts to wear down in 3-4 years.
If Max absolutely HAS to be moved, we need a 1st back so we can draft a scoring winger to replace him (of which we have none in the system).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Time to move Danault+Scherbak for some help on LD. With the depth we have in playmaking Ws and 3-4 Cs, there's not really room for either long term.

Go into the season with:

Max - Drouin - Armia
Domi - Peca - Gallagher
Hudon - Plek - Lehkonen
Byron - DLR - Shaw/Deslauriers

In 2 years:

Max - 2019 1st - Drouin
Domi - Kotka - Gallagher
Hudon - Poehling - Lehkonen
Byron - DLR/Olofsson - Armia

Ylonen probably comes in for Gallagher if his body starts to wear down in 3-4 years.
If Max absolutely HAS to be moved, we need a 1st back so we can draft a scoring winger to replace him (of which we have none in the system).
Yeah penciling Peca as second line center is a sound idea

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I likec Peca but if you are trying to win as Bergevin said they are trying to make the playoffs then you need centers to do that....you have to be willing to pay the price for centers like Eric Staal and Matt Duchene both have 1 year left.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Danault, DLR & Armia will need to file for arbitration by Thursday, 5PM ET. And if they do, Habs will have 24 hours to accept it or not.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

That's kind of the point. We're looking for a top 10 pick. And I'd rather see what Peca can do with those minutes than Plek/DLR/Danault.

I likec Peca but if you are trying to win as Bergevin said they are trying to make the playoffs then you need centers to do that....you have to be willing to pay the price for centers like Eric Staal and Matt Duchene both have 1 year left.

I haven't listend to his press conferences, but everything he's done this offseason points in a completely different direction. He hasn't paid big money for Stastny or Bozak, he hasn't ponied up to trade for ROR and he has taken on a bad contract (Mason) which is not generally the MO of a "compete now" team. I could see him taking on Spezza for his last year with an asset coming back our way, but I highly doubt we're offering up quality assets of our own for mediocre players with 1 year left.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Look at the players drafted, players developed and their success. His teams have never resembled a tire fire...
Thats absolute BS, lol. The Preds were a tire fire for a long time.

Missed the POS in their first 5 years, went passed the 2nd round once in twenty years.

In 12-13 and 13-14 their center depth was worse than any team ever, only surpassed by this Habs team, or maybe not even. Legwand, Fisher, Spaling, Gaustad. Their winger depth was also really bad. Hornqvist, Erat, Smith, Wilson, Kostitsyn, etc. They had horrible teams that were carried by none other than Shea Weber. He basically rode Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne the same way Bergevin rode Subban and Price for most of his career.

You talked about players drafted ? From 05 to 2013 they basically drafted, Josi, Hornqvist, Ellis, Ekholm, Jones. Jones was a 4th overall pick and considered by many to be the best player in the draft. That 70 picks in 8 years. 17 top 50 picks, 7 top 25 picks.

Timmins is crucified for 08 to 11 where he drafted only Gallagher with 25 picks. Four top 50 picks.

If anything, HFHabs sweetheart GM is a carbon copy of Bergevin. A bad GM that somehow caught it over time.

Reactions: Laurentide

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Hamhuis is willing to take a year deal, I'd offer up something for him. Send Mete down to Laval to develop his offence and trade Hamhuis at the deadline for a pick.

Reactions: Milhouse40

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Our focus is the future of the organization and in an ideal world Drouin is on the wing.
Solution? Come out of the off-season without anyone to move him out of C.

Bozak, Riley Nash, Sheahan, whatever. Any warm body stopgap who can semi-adequately play center would've sufficed.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I am amazed that his direct involvement into the destruction is now being glazed over by so many. The mess, the rebuild is all because of his stupidity, lack of plan, lack of strategy. Now we are commending him for being frugal. He put this organization in this position. He should never be allowed to make anymore decisions but yet, here he is continuing the destruction. You can’t make this **** up!
I am convinced that he has dirt or is blackmailing Geoff. It is unheard of a GM that destroyed a team forcing it to rebuild is kept onboard for the rebuild as well. I have no other logical explanation for him not being fired.

Reactions: Tyson

butch_sb

Sep 18, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site

Missed the POS in their first 5 years, went passed the 2nd round once in twenty years.

In 12-13 and 13-14 their center depth was worse than any team ever, only surpassed by this Habs team, or maybe not even. Legwand, Fisher, Spaling, Gaustad. Their winger depth was also really bad. Hornqvist, Erat, Smith, Wilson, Kostitsyn, etc. They had horrible teams that were carried by none other than Shea Weber. He basically rode Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne the same way Bergevin rode Subban and Price for most of his career.

You talked about players drafted ? From 05 to 2013 they basically drafted, Josi, Hornqvist, Ellis, Ekholm, Jones. Jones was a 4th overall pick and considered by many to be the best player in the draft. That 70 picks in 8 years. 17 top 50 picks, 7 top 25 picks.

Timmins is crucified for 08 to 11 where he drafted only Gallagher with 25 picks. Four top 50 picks.

If anything, HFHabs sweetheart GM is a carbon copy of Bergevin. A bad GM that somehow caught it over time.

And there lies my only hope for Bergevin. He was hired has a rookie GM and people on this board were praising him exactly like they are praising Brisebois right now. Now he’s done very poorly and I accept that but to assume the guy isn’t learning from any of his experiences is wrong to me. Unfortunately we are not a patient fan base but at some point we got to let the GM learn or you know hire a GM with tons of experience already.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree. From following the Habs for almost 50 years I can honestly say that Marc Bergevin is as bad as Mike Milbury when it comes to being a GM. I would say he is is worse than Rejean Houle.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
That's kind of the point. We're looking for a top 10 pick. And I'd rather see what Peca can do with those minutes than Plek/DLR/Danault.

I haven't listend to his press conferences, but everything he's done this offseason points in a completely different direction. He hasn't paid big money for Stastny or Bozak, he hasn't ponied up to trade for ROR and he has taken on a bad contract (Mason) which is not generally the MO of a "compete now" team. I could see him taking on Spezza for his last year with an asset coming back our way, but I highly doubt we're offering up quality assets of our own for mediocre players with 1 year left.
First of all there is no rebuild they are trying to win...and you are calling Eric Staal who got 42 goals last year and is a true #1....mediocre and Duchene who is also a proven center is far from mediocre and you could sign these players to extensions.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Pretty ugly off-season so far. Since April presser:

* watched Eller score Cup winning goal and be a key player for the Caps.
* botched Pacioretty trade.
* were left out of the Tavares contract negotiations
* could not land a key free agent. to be clear, this wasn't planned. They were low on Stastny's list, and certainly would have loved to speak to Tavares.

The 'plan' is murky. On the one hand, he speaks of not over-spending. On the other, you have talk of playoffs without improving the team. He talks about the future, but fails to acquire help now.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And there lies my only hope for Bergevin. He was hired has a rookie GM and people on this board were praising him exactly like they are praising Brisebois right now. Now he’s done very poorly and I accept that but to assume the guy isn’t learning from any of his experiences is wrong to me. Unfortunately we are not a patient fan base but at some point we got to let the GM learn or you know hire a GM with tons of experience already.
Im not in any shape or form a supporter of Bergevin, he shouldve been canned 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca