HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Whether by design or accident, the Habs are in a better place for the future.

Agreed. I really like the (lack of) moves we've done this off-season.

That's also exactly the way I see it.

We're not 1 or 2 UFA away from contention, only Price, playing as a god, would be able to lift this team over the water, and even then, he wasn't able to last season.

I hope he takes it easy (or even ask for a trade, along with Weber, for their own sake), and that we rebuild like we should have done 6 years ago... for real.

Bergevin, at least, seems to finally have understood the situation he put the team in.

Still want him gone, though.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
So now that most of the key UFAs have been signed...what are the most likely destinations for Pacioretty, with or without an extension ?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
They have some great prospects i would love to grab from them. Morozov and their first would be a good start for me.

Would even take Clarkson cap dump to increase the odds of getting something important from them. They have 20M$ available, but they still have Karlsson, Theodore and Miller to sign. And Pacioretty next year, if they do accept.

I don't know, seems like potentially great trade partners for this situation alone.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Seems like we will be having around the same roster as we had last season. It will be worse if we trade Patch

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No MB did not screw up by trading picks or overpaying for players, he screwed up by systematically destroying a pretty decent core and replacing it with pure garbage.

it's all the above. You can't have 3 years ('14'-16) of drafts with only 3 picks inside the top 70 total. That's just brutal. We had more picks this year inside the top 70 then we had in 3 drafts combined, yikes. He made bad choices on overpaying Shaw, Emelin, Pleks (f***ing 7M a year in salary), Alzner (12M in salary in first 2 years, should be fired just for that) and even though they were stars and earned big pay days, I felt he gave too much to Subban at the time (would have wanted 1M less per at least) and while I would have never expected Price to suck so badly 10.5 is just too much.

So he's done damage on several fronts. From coaching decisions (how the f*** do you not only re-hire Lefebvre, but to do it again?) to having a hand in the poor development by rushing so many 19/20 year olds to the NHL every year. Then over paying on contracts putting us in a bad spot cap wise (at times, he's done well with some contracts), trading too many picks in moves like giving up 2 2nds for Shaw, making bad trades like Subban or Weber, Sergachev for Drouin (unless things take a big turn going forward), terrible UFA signings like Alzner.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
it's all the above. You can't have 3 years ('14'-16) of drafts with only 3 picks inside the top 70 total. That's just brutal. We had more picks this year inside the top 70 then we had in 3 drafts combined, yikes. He made bad choices on overpaying Shaw, Emelin, Pleks (****ing 7M a year in salary), Alzner (12M in salary in first 2 years, should be fired just for that) and even though they were stars and earned big pay days, I felt he gave too much to Subban at the time (would have wanted 1M less per at least) and while I would have never expected Price to suck so badly 10.5 is just too much.

So he's done damage on several fronts. From coaching decisions (how the **** do you not only re-hire Lefebvre, but to do it again?) to having a hand in the poor development by rushing so many 19/20 year olds to the NHL every year. Then over paying on contracts putting us in a bad spot cap wise (at times, he's done well with some contracts), trading too many picks in moves like giving up 2 2nds for Shaw, making bad trades like Subban or Weber, Sergachev for Drouin (unless things take a big turn going forward), terrible UFA signings like Alzner.

Everything you posted is spot on accurate. This is why we are in a rebuild mode. The last straw for me was the Price contract, absolutely no rhyme or reason for doing this.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think Vegas wants Karlsson, so the 1st likely goes there. If not, we should be looking at a prospect+1st.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Seems many fans are okay with tearing it all down and rebuilding except the Habs organization.

I don't want them to tear it all down. I actually agree with them when they say that they're closer to turning it around than most believe. They have a lot of players in the 22-25 age range, which is around the ages most players break out.

I don't think it's necessary for them to tear it all down. I know 95% of the people will disagree with me.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
None of the group you are talking about are players on defense and center. And when you rebuild you don't trade away the young players anyways.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't want them to tear it all down. I actually agree with them when they say that they're closer to turning it around than most believe. They have a lot of players in the 22-25 age range, which is around the ages most players break out.

I don't think it's necessary for them to tear it all down. I know 95% of the people will disagree with me.
I'm in full agreement with you...there's enough there, and enough coming, that this doesn't have to be a painful transition.

But the GM is going to have to show some ingenuity.

Reactions: Redux91

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Take two years off. Seriously. That’s all that’s needed. There’s gonna be a lockout in 2020 and we can come out of it with a very very good hockey team if we just do the right thing now and sell. Petry, Pacioretty, Alzner, Plekanec(again) probably Byron, Shaw should all go. I honestly think price and Weber can stay and be part of the rebuild. We can still suck beyond belief if it’s just them and all kids surrounding them. I really think we’re gonna still need Carey in a few years if we add the right piers. Goaltending is important and he’s still the best. Weber is an incredible mentor and I don’t think we should part with him either. Those are the two things that teams like Edmonton and Toronto for a number of years lacked when trying to do the rebuild right. Young players came in and had to do it all alone.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I think maybe 1 or 2 posters here want to ''tear it all down.'' We need a couple more years of drafting high, and we only need to get rid of the minimum amount of talent necessary in order to ensure that.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

I agree, another high end center draft pick would be very welcome.

They will also need a 2nd round pick to make the jump and surprise. Ylonen or Olafsson maybe

But this season might be better than last for the simple fact that Weber should be healthy for it improving play in their own zone rebalancing minutes and improving the PP.

Price returns to being a gamer. Lehkonen improves. Hudon improves.

I expect to see Drouin have a much better season offensively.

But with Buffalo adding Dahlin to the lineup they may be ready to start winning games. In the East it is Montreal and Ottawa fighting it out for last. And I think, unless sens add roster players via Karlsson trade, they will be bottom of league.

So hard to read into the future but Montreal has a young tenacious roster that may actually surprise both the fans and the hockey world. I’m not suggesting they compete for the Cup but they could squeak into the playoffs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Having a lot of players in the 22-25 range is not enough to develop a great team. Those kids actually have to be great. It's all great to put EVERYTHING on Poehling and Kotkaniemi, yet NOBODY knows if they are actually top 2 line material especially Poehling. There is some serious lack of agility and skating in his game. And Kotkaniemi also has to improve. We can think they will. It,s great to think that Lehkonen and Drouin will improve....but what are their ceiling? Hudon can improve to be one of the greatest 3 line in history...he STILL will be a 3rd liner. Drouin? Yep, he surely has the talent...but if used at C where he CLEARLY doesn't belong, you totally remove some of this talent from his game. And transform him into a deluxe liability.

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. Just like I didn't get we are 1 or 2 players away from contending and NEVER were...we are not 1 or 2 fast years to turn it around....So many pieces missing. Not enough signs that we will fill it. We are only going with hope. Geez Jake Evans is seen by some as a solution...the guy who was a great 4th year College kid. When tons of players who are great in their 4th year never make the NHL. Bring a Borgstrom in the mix and I'll tell you that the he showed so much that he is a much better hope than whatever we have.

We are in nowhere land. And we will be going nowhere. You either have to tank hard. Or go all in. We are not great enough to go all in. There's only one other option. But let's pretend we are not far....and in 2 or 3 years...we will have ANOTHER plan in place. Such a waste of time.

Reactions: G0bias

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
We could have been 1-2 years away had we drafted 1st overall this year and got a franchise dman. Now, we're looking at best at a 4-5 years since none of our prospects will be in their prime anytime soon. Drafting 1st overall (Hughes) next year could help, but it still won't be enough to make the Habs relevant in 2-3 years.

It's gonna take time. Hopefully, they do it right this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad