HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Absolutely!!

I’ve been saying that as well. Very hard for a guy like Drouin to play at his full ability when he’s trying to learn a new position and “responsible” at the same time. It’s not his game!

I’d rather see Drouin-DLR-Gallagher, DLR & Gally are responsible defensively so let Drouin loose to create offense!

Preach.

Patches Danault Gally
Drouin DLR Lehkonen
Domi Hudon Sherbak
Byron Plex Shaw
Dlo

Ugly but lines are better weighted and have all the components of skill, grit, defensive responsibility and shooters.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Let's be real, if you roll into next year with that center line you're getting slaughtered again. It'll be another tough year, but one with a big payoff. The one thing I do like is trying Hudon at center. The kid shoots a lot and, his S% this year notwithstanding, it's a pretty dangerous shot. If you put him at center with some bigger minutes, he'll get a bump in some other metrics which, combined with a little luck in S% department, could pay off nicely.

We will totally get slaughtered regardless. Why not develop our players at their position while we’re going to lose anyways in the hope that a competent GM can one day bring in actual skilled centres for them.

It’s not an ideal solution but it’s where we’re at.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We will totally get slaughtered regardless. Why not develop our players at their position while we’re going to lose anyways in the hope that a competent GM can one day bring in actual skilled centres for them.

I'm not arguing with the strategy - I want us finishing dead last - just what you ''would rather see.'' It's going to be difficult to watch lol.

But the Hudon experiment is an interesting opportunity. While we're busy being terrible why not give something interesting a try?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

It doesn’t matter who comes in as GM. Montreal needs deeper prospect assets and more appealing team before UFA want to come here. And you can’t trade for a center with a thin cupboard.

Lose again as said, draft draft draft. Once those kids come of age Montreal will be the new leafs in terms of excitement and potential.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It doesn’t matter who comes in as GM. Montreal needs deeper prospect assets and more appealing team before UFA want to come here. And you can’t trade for a center with a thin cupboard.

Lose again as said, draft draft draft. Once those kids come of age Montreal will be the new leafs in terms of excitement and potential.

That’s what’s going to happen so why not develop players where they should be rather than moving them around to fill a hole they shouldn’t be filling, right?

I'm not arguing with the strategy - I want us finishing dead last - just what you ''would rather see.'' It's going to be difficult to watch lol.

But the Hudon experiment is an interesting opportunity. While we're busy being terrible why not give something interesting a try?

He did play center for his career so why not.

As for what I’d rather watch, it’s skilled players playing to their ability at their position. Besides, it makes the holes easier to fill when the lack of skill their is obvious.

Just tired of all the masking and maneuvering. Just let them play where they should.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I am actually seeing a bit of a possible plan.

ROR is/ was the prime target.

We now have 2 playmaking wings in Drouin and Domi. So they will be the playmakers on their line. If we get ROR I am guessing Drouin goes back to wing. If not I guess that experiment continues.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

That would be best case... Get a few vets on 1 year deals out of today/this week, and start selling them & guys like Alzner, Shaw, Benn during the season to add picks (and bolster lottery odds)

Sadly, I seriously doubt MB & Molson have the capacity for that kind of strategic thinking

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I like the way the offseason has gone so far

What I want to see now:

To Carolina
Pacioretty

To Montreal
Jake Bean, 2019 1st, Zykov

Maybe we add something, but we can continue to get younger and fill out the roster in 2-3 years

Reactions: vokiel

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
I feel sad tonight. I've been following closely this team for more than 30 years now. I've seen some pretty bad rosters. But it's the first time this team is actually telling their fan base : next season, we're not even trying.

I totally understand what's happening and it's obviously the best thing to do since this team has become a complete mess. But I'm devastated the Montreal Canadiens have to get through this. I thought we were better than that.

Hopefully, we get some luck soon and get that 1st overall pick so things can turn around quickly.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I feel sad tonight. I've been following closely this team for more than 30 years now. I've seen some pretty bad rosters. But it's the first time this team is actually telling their fan base : next season, we're not even trying.

I totally understand what's happening and it's obviously the best thing to do since this team has become a complete mess. But I'm devastated the Montreal Canadiens have to get through this. I thought we were better than that.

Hopefully, we get some luck soon and get that 1st overall pick so things can turn around quickly.

the pain is far from over especially with the leafs and boston likely kicking our ass for the next few years and doing well but the best news imo is that at least MB didn't screw up big time by either trading picks/prospects, or by thinking he can still win by massively overpaying someone to a 7 year deal. Now there's still time, we won't be safe until he's fired and it could be a long time before this ship gets righted but I think it at least gives some hope that we are starting to go in the right direction and actually try to fix things for the future.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
the pain is far from over especially with the leafs and boston likely kicking our ass for the next few years and doing well but the best news imo is that at least MB didn't screw up big time by either trading picks/prospects, or by thinking he can still win by massively overpaying someone to a 7 year deal. Now there's still time, we won't be safe until he's fired and it could be a long time before this ship gets righted but I think it at least gives some hope that we are starting to go in the right direction and actually try to fix things for the future.
No MB did not screw up by trading picks or overpaying for players, he screwed up by systematically destroying a pretty decent core and replacing it with pure garbage.

Jul 6, 2016
I would not sa that the team is worst than last year. Actually it has the potential to be slightly better or a lot better IF the players - every one of them - plays their heart out.

My main concern right now is Patches. Does he go ? And for what return ? Does he stay ? And which kind of attitude is he gonna show up ?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
As much as I'd like to trade Weber and Price I think the guys who need to go are the ones who are the following.

Main priority:
Bergevin
Pacioretty
Alzner
Shaw

Rest of the team can be traded at anytime between now or even in a year or two. The guys above have either rapidly decreasing value or high value but not for long (1 yr of Patches)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As much as I'd like to trade Weber and Price I think the guys who need to go are the ones who are the following.

Main priority:
Bergevin
Pacioretty
Alzner
Shaw

Rest of the team can be traded at anytime between now or even in a year or two. The guys above have either rapidly decreasing value or high value but not for long (1 yr of Patches)
Bergevin is too stubborn to admit that his prize acquisitions the past couple of years, Shaw and then Alzner are a mistake. We are stuck with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad