HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I have no problem with the player but Pleks will be overused under Claude and this I can guarantee you. That is the reason that I don't want him back.

He got no PP time, a ton of PK time and a moderate amount of ES time. Montreal doesn't exactly have a shutdown center and Plekanec was mostly used were he should have been used at ES considering the lack of talent Montreal has at center. This isn't Therrien playing Desharnais over Galchenyuk or playing Eller at the wing.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
He got no PP time, a ton of PK time and a moderate amount of ES time. Montreal doesn't exactly have a shutdown center and Plekanec was mostly used were he should have been used at ES considering the lack of talent Montreal has at center. This isn't Therrien playing Desharnais over Galchenyuk or playing Eller at the wing.

I'd rather they give the task to younger players i.e. Danault. It's time to move on.

Reactions: montreal

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I understand your stance, we are one of the few teams that should be spitting on Plek given our depth down the middle but I'm afraid of the negative impact he would have on DLR.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I understand your stance, we are one of the few teams that should be spitting on Plek given our depth down the middle but I'm afraid of the negative impact he would have on DLR.

I'd rather they give the task to younger players i.e. Danault. It's time to move on.

Plekanec and Danault are not in competition. They weren't last year and wouldn't be this year.

And if DLR can't outplay Plekanec, then that's pretty telling on its own.

Reactions: Et le But

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Plekanec and Danault are not in competition. They weren't last year and wouldn't be this year.

Well, it was a subject up for debate following the deadline but a good portion of fans on this board agreed that DLR was playing better than Plekanec had this season, unfortunately, DLR had been healthy scratched or saw limited minutes earlier in the season so we could never come to that conclusion or get a fair look.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Plekanec finished the season 3rd in TOI/GP among Habs centers, behind Drouin and Danault. His minutes were basically all at ES and the PK. At ES, he was 6th among Habs regulars in P/60, ahead of Drouin.

Lets try to limit the criticsms of the team to the ones that are true or open to interpretation. Plekanec wasn't the 1st line center and he wont be if he returns.
Julien started him in OT on more than one occasion. This demonstrates that he does not have any inclination to use Plekanec properly. He's Julien's go-to guy in all situations.

Reactions: Justin11

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Well, it was a subject up for debate following the deadline but a good portion of fans on this board agreed that DLR was playing better than Plekanec had this season, unfortunately, DLR had been healthy scratched or saw limited minutes earlier in the season so we could never come to that conclusion or get a fair look.

That's fine, but its not a position I agree with. He didn't look better offensively or defensively, even when he was playing with good players.

And if Montreal needs to play DLR with its top forwards to make him look good (which is the only point he looked NHL caliber last year to me), then Montreal's screwed next season. In which case I'd rather sign Plekanec and try to flip him at the deadline again.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

What would the return of Plekanec give more to the team than he did last season? What would be the point to have him return to the Habs at the age of 36? if anything it will take away icetime from the younger players.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
That's fine, but its not a position I agree with. He didn't look better offensively or defensively, even when he was playing with good players.

And if Montreal needs to play DLR with its top forwards to make him look good (which is the only point he looked NHL caliber last year to me), then Montreal's screwed next season. In which case I'd rather sign Plekanec and try to flip him at the deadline again.
Oh I'm on the same page as you here that DLR in the top six is a mistake but I think it proved to be good for him development wise, it helped his confidence which build on at the WC.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't buy that. Carr was one of our better players yet CJ felt the need to have him spend more time in the press box. Jerabek was better then Benn, Schlemko, Alzner yet he didn't play him every game. Julien has a hard on for his vets. When he got the job one of the first things I heard he talk about was Pleks, I highly doubt DLR would get the job over Pleks unless he goes on a tear.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Julien started him in OT on more than one occasion. This demonstrates that he does not have any inclination to use Plekanec properly. He's Julien's go-to guy in all situations.

So he'd have been better off playing De La Rose to start OT? Or Drouin, who isn't a strong OT player?

Julien starts OT defending because often the team that scores in OT is the one that doesn't make the first defensive slip up. Plekanec was Montreal's best defesive center. You can disagree with the strategy, but his reasoning was not "I love Pleks, he'll get it done".

Plekanec was 3rd among centers in TOI/GP. How on is he Julien's go to guy?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I don't buy that. Carr was one of our better players yet CJ felt the need to have him spend more time in the press box. Jerabek was better then Benn, Schlemko, Alzner yet he didn't play him every game. Julien has a hard on for his vets. When he got the job one of the first things I heard he talk about was Pleks, I highly doubt DLR would get the job over Pleks unless he goes on a tear.

Jerabek wasn't noticeably better than Benn, Schlemko or Alzner. And Julien also played Mete on the 1st pair, played Juulsen a lot when he was in the NHL and played Morrow a ton.

I wish he'd play Carr more, but he's 26 and turning 27 next year. Him playing DLR, Hudon, Lehkonen et al ahead of him isn't him having a hard on for vets.

And he talked about Plekanec because he coached him in Montreal. And unless DLR shows he CAN go on a tear, I'm not sure shuffling around the roster to give him ice-time is wise.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
So he'd have been better off playing De La Rose to start OT? Or Drouin, who isn't a strong OT player?

Julien starts OT defending because often the team that scores in OT is the one that doesn't make the first defensive slip up. Plekanec was Montreal's best defesive center. You can disagree with the strategy, but his reasoning was not "I love Pleks, he'll get it done".

Plekanec was 3rd among centers in TOI/GP. How on is he Julien's go to guy?
Starting OT with a defensive line-up is indicative of a loser mentality. You play to win the game, especially in OT when your welfare point is in the bank. You go for it. Instead we have a coach who isn't interested in doing something proactive to try and win. He just wants not to lose. He plays for the tie instead of the win. It's a loser mentality and it's one of the things that needs to go from this organization along with Plekanec. I don't care if they lose as long as they lose while trying to win. It's when they lose by playing Kitty-bar-the-door hockey that I get ticked off, especially when when it was clear that we weren't making the playoffs. It's like a football coach who always punts on 4th and 1 even in pre-season. Friggin' go for the win once in a while instead of hoping that your opponent screws up and hands it to you accidentally. Make something happen instead of being reactive all the time. Pleks is a symbol for everything that is wrong about the way this team conducts itself and the fact that they can't seem to live without him tells me that the mentality isn't about to change.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Jerabek wasn't noticeably better than Benn, Schlemko or Alzner. And Julien also played Mete on the 1st pair, played Juulsen a lot when he was in the NHL and played Morrow a ton.

I wish he'd play Carr more, but he's 26 and turning 27 next year. Him playing DLR, Hudon, Lehkonen et al ahead of him isn't him having a hard on for vets.

And he talked about Plekanec because he coached him in Montreal. And unless DLR shows he CAN go on a tear, I'm not sure shuffling around the roster to give him ice-time is wise.

disagree, Jerabek looked better then all 3 imo. He could actually move the puck unlike the other 3. Mete was dropped from the 1st pairing, he shouldn't have been in the NHL since he showed so little offense for someone playing on the top pairing. Juulsen has a very good defensive game but the problem is if he doesn't develop his offensive game more then he's going to end up more of a bottom pairing D on a top team at least.

If CJ was playing to win, Carr should have been in the lineup much more then he was. We couldn't score yet Carr was chipping in goals with limited ice time.

Since the Habs suck, they should be playing guys like DLR, Carr, McCarron. Might as well see what they have instead of trying to win a few more games with Pleks.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
this organization needs somebody like lou lam.....he goes to toronto, gets rid of all the crappy contracts and dead wood, makes room for UFA signings.....team improves from 50 points to 100 points,

he goes to NYI, and a few weeks later GM and coach are gone.....the man doesn't sit around and waste time, he gets things done, and doesn't accept mediocrity (unlike some teams :sarcasm:)

i think LL will be a big reason and factor as to why JT will end up resigning with NYI

the man gets things done and doesn't sit around making excuses

Last edited:

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
this organization needs somebody like lou lam.....he goes to toronto, gets rid of all the crappy contracts and dead wood, makes room for UFA signings.....team improves from 50 points to 100 points,

he goes to NYI, and a few weeks later GM and coach are gone.....the man doesn't sit around and waste time, he gets things done, and doesn't accept mediocrity (unlike some teams :sarcasm:)

i think LL will be a big reason and factor as to why JT will end up resigning with NYI

I would love to see Lou come and have a PC where he says "Mr. Bergevin is sleeping with the fishes, figuratively"

Also instead of Robidas island we'd get either the Isle of Alzner or Shawzieland

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Already posted it in Casey Staum's thread, but Habs have relinquished his rights. So he is no longer a Habs prospect.

Wait wait wait you're telling me that Casey "The GOAT" Staum was relinquished???

Next you'll be telling me that Timmins always taking guys with zero NHL potential in the late rounds is somehow a bad idea. That'll be the day!

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That’s that for Tavares w/ the Isles. Have heard from far too many connected people that the only way JT was staying was a reaffirmed commitment to Weight as head coach. Isles will attempt to trade his rights before July 1.
— Greg Brady (@gregbradyTO) June 5, 2018

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That’s that for Tavares w/ the Isles. Have heard from far too many connected people that the only way JT was staying was a reaffirmed commitment to Weight as head coach. Isles will attempt to trade his rights before July 1.
— Greg Brady (@gregbradyTO) June 5, 2018
There was no way he was staying anyhow...if so, he would have said yes, way before this...............

He is a goner, now, it's just where will he choose to play??

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Easy on the LL koolaid there...............he was so good with the Leafs, they chose Kyle Dubas, and let him leave for the Isles............it's been close to 15 years, since LL has done anything decent as a GM.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
There was no way he was staying anyhow...if so, he would have said yes, way before this...............

He is a goner, now, it's just where will he choose to play??

I think NYI get JT signed just right before free agency opens.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

Bergevin came in and got rid of the crappy contracts he inherited too. He just made new ones.

And Lou was behind Toronto signing that dumb Matt Martin contract and the bad Zaitsev contract too.

Toronto rebounded because of a lot of work that was done before he got there (when Hunter and Dubas co-ran the show) and prospects he inherited. That, and getting lucky and drafting Matthews.

He also accepted mediocrity with Devils for a while until he was kicked upstairs.

Reactions: Vachon23

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Bergevin came in and got rid of the crappy contracts he inherited too. He just made new ones.

And Lou was behind Toronto signing that dumb Matt Martin contract and the bad Zaitsev contract too.

Toronto rebounded because of a lot of work that was done before he got there (when Hunter and Dubas co-ran the show) and prospects he inherited. That, and getting lucky and drafting Matthews.

He also accepted mediocrity with Devils for a while until he was kicked upstairs.

you can give the credit to whoever you want,

bottom line is, whatever team Lou becomes a part of IMPROVES!!....same thing will happen with NYI this season, they will make playoffs we will not,

you can stick your head in the sand all you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad