HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
you can give the credit to whoever you want,

bottom line is, whatever team Lou becomes a part of IMPROVES!!....same thing will happen with NYI this season, they will make playoffs we will not,

you can stick your head in the sand all you want

The why matters a lot though. He did a pretty terrible job towards the end of his tenure in New Jersey for a period of time that would have gotten him pilloried in a market like Montreal. Shero had to put in a lot of work to dig that team out of the mess he inherited and he's still doing that.

And there HAS to be more than just bottom line thinking. You can't just say, its Lou, of course he'll fix everything. Tavares isn't a lock to re-sign with Lou, he liked Snow and Weight a lot. The Islanders have a worse D-core than Montreal and significantly worse goaltending.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I'd just prefer to actually look at Lou's recent track record instead of the results.

Look at Bergevin. He came in before the 2012 draft, cut dead weight, added pieces and saw the team make the conference finals in two years. Was that him, or the situation he inherited? Dorion came into Ottawa and they made the conference finals the next season. Look where they are now. Situation matters.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Plekanec and Danault are not in competition. They weren't last year and wouldn't be this year.

And if DLR can't outplay Plekanec, then that's pretty telling on its own.

It's about opportunity and more ice time. When Pleky was traded and DLR was given more opportunity, he developed more confidence with more ice time. Big body that can skate and do a lot of things well. I like DLR as our 3rd line center next year.

It's not about DLR outplaying Pleky, it's about management not letting DLR develop with more ice time and playing with better players while being too loyal to Pleky

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wait wait wait you're telling me that Casey "The GOAT" Staum was relinquished???

Next you'll be telling me that Timmins always taking guys with zero NHL potential in the late rounds is somehow a bad idea. That'll be the day!

I was eating at the time I read that piece of news. I spit everything out and yelled out "HOW DARE THEY LET HIM GO!"

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
During UFA I expect MB to make a massive offer to Tavares which he'll use as leverage and sign with another team. Probably re-signing with the NYI or signing with the Sharks/Blues. MB will then make an insane offer to Stastny who will also use the offer as leverage and sign elsewhere.

Then I expect breaking news from TSN reporting that the Habs and Tyler Bozak have agreed to a 5 year, 27.5 million (5.5M AAV) dollar contract and this board will have a meltdown for the 2nd time in over a week since the Habs also drafted Tkachuk @ 3.

MB will also sign his usual barginbin type defenseman and a bottom 6 plug or 2. I also expect Pacioretty to be traded and maybe Galchenyuk.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
you can give the credit to whoever you want,

bottom line is, whatever team Lou becomes a part of IMPROVES!!....same thing will happen with NYI this season, they will make playoffs we will not,

you can stick your head in the sand all you want
The Devils were a mess, when Lou got fired...they were in years of regression....

Anyone, can go to an organization where there are NO expectations, and take a bottom feeder and improve it...Lou is done...

Reactions: Laurentide

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
It's about opportunity and more ice time. When Pleky was traded and DLR was given more opportunity, he developed more confidence with more ice time. Big body that can skate and do a lot of things well. I like DLR as our 3rd line center next year.

It's not about DLR outplaying Pleky, it's about management not letting DLR develop with more ice time and playing with better players while being too loyal to Pleky
They did the same to Galchenyuk in lieu of Desharnais

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They did the same to Galchenyuk in lieu of Desharnais

Circumstance is different. We were a top 10 NHL team for a few years. They got mixed up with trying to win vs trying to allow Galchenyuk to develop and learn from mistakes. But lets not blame anybody but Galchenyuk. He coughed up the puck in terrible game situations. That's on him. Julien put him on wing all year to allow him to mature and it seem to work. He is working at the puck management side of things. Something MT didn't focus on and it was all about his favorites. MT was a dump the puck out strategy type guy and it was all about defense.

I think Julien is a bit better at developing younger players vs MT. He has better communication skills and his message comes across better. I'm very interested to see Galchenyuk and how he can mature even more next year. Hate that 3 year deal though! I have a feeling it's going to burn us in his next contract. Galchenyuk is age 24-26 for the rest of that contract. Right smack in his prime years. Terrible management... I would of went after the long term deal taking him in his 30's. Even if it cost me more cap space.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
During TSN690's Sportscenter updates, they said that Fucale hasn't heard from Montreal about a possible extension or a qualifying offer. Though they have until the 25th to qualify him. They don't need to let the kid know from now, in all honesty.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Circumstance is different. We were a top 10 NHL team for a few years. They got mixed up with trying to win vs trying to allow Galchenyuk to develop and learn from mistakes. But lets not blame anybody but Galchenyuk. He coughed up the puck in terrible game situations. That's on him. Julien put him on wing all year to allow him to mature and it seem to work. He is working at the puck management side of things. Something MT didn't focus on and it was all about his favorites. MT was a dump the puck out strategy type guy and it was all about defense.
Well the problem with that is that the Habs weren't a top 10 team because they had David Desharnais playing in a top 6 role...

I think Julien is a bit better at developing younger players vs MT. He has better communication skills and his message comes across better. I'm very interested to see Galchenyuk and how he can mature even more next year. Hate that 3 year deal though! I have a feeling it's going to burn us in his next contract. Galchenyuk is age 24-26 for the rest of that contract. Right smack in his prime years. Terrible management... I would of went after the long term deal taking him in his 30's. Even if it cost me more cap space.
He is a better communicator but CJ is like the majority of coaches in the NHL, they'd rather trust veterans they know, even in the face of poor performances...than do the same with younger kids who actually have the ability and potential to grow and learn along the way.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
During TSN690's Sportscenter updates, they said that Fucale hasn't heard from Montreal about a possible extension or a qualifying offer. Though they have until the 25th to qualify him. They don't need to let the kid know from now, in all honesty.
Some poster on here, I think it was @Scriptor , said that he knows someone in their entourage who has told him that Fucale will go back to school.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well the problem with that is that the Habs weren't a top 10 team because they had David Desharnais playing in a top 6 role...

He is a better communicator but CJ is like the majority of coaches in the NHL, they'd rather trust veterans they know, even in the face of poor performances...than do the same with younger kids who actually have the ability and potential to grow and learn along the way.

No... We were a top 10 team. 3 division titles in 5 years and if you filter the seasons in this span we are a top 10 team in that span. We did lack offense and centers though. That's why we struggled come playoff time. DD didn't turn the puck over like Galchenyuk did and we went with it... Like it or not, that was reality. I think DD should of been traded vs Eller though.

CJ does rely on vets but he is better with young players vs MT IMO. I'm surprised we didn't try Galchenyuk at center this past tank year but they kept to their plan at letting Galchenyuk work at his puck management skills on wing. It seemed to have worked a bit as he got better as the season went along. Will he remain on wing forever now? Not sure but I think I like the plan at not setting him up to fail cause we need a center so bad. Drouin is better a puck possession but he is the soft type and sometimes the simple play is to move the puck along the boards. I expect these two to mature and be smarter at this as time moves forward.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No... We were a top 10 team. 3 division titles in 5 years and if you filter the seasons in this span we are a top 10 team in that span. We did lack offense and centers though. That's why we struggled come playoff time. DD didn't turn the puck over like Galchenyuk did and we went with it... Like it or not, that was reality. I think DD should of been traded vs Eller though.
The "success" the Habs had during those year had very little to do with David Desharnais' performance...I'm not sure why you're referencing their division titles in conjunction with Desharnais. That "success" would of been the same if Galchenyuk had been playing that exact role, only difference is he'd be a much better player today.

And please don't tell me that he would of been killed in matchups, it's not like Desharnais was some defensive stalwart.

It's just more shortsightedness from this organization that we've become accustomed too...they'll repeat it again when they re-sign Plekanec in a few weeks at the expense of DLR.

CJ does rely on vets but he is better with young players vs MT IMO. I'm surprised we didn't try Galchenyuk at center this past tank year but they kept to their plan at letting Galchenyuk work at his puck management skills on wing. It seemed to have worked a bit as he got better as the season went along. Will he remain on wing forever now? Not sure but I think I like the plan at not setting him up to fail cause we need a center so bad. Drouin is better a puck possession but he is the soft type and sometimes the simple play is to move the puck along the boards. I expect these two to mature and be smarter at this as time moves forward.
Like I said, he's a better communicator than Therrien was...and if that's the plan with Galchenyuk moving forward, and they'll eventually move him back to center (and I agree he made gains in terms of puck management skills this year when he played wing) then that's fine because unlike MT, i'm sure CJ would of communicated this to Galchenyuk.

That being said, he's still like 80-80% of coaches in the NHL...vets get a pass, while younger players get lessons.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The Devils were a mess, when Lou got fired...they were in years of regression....

Anyone, can go to an organization where there are NO expectations, and take a bottom feeder and improve it...Lou is done...
Lou's tires have been overinflated due to his time in the only market that the so-called "national" media cares about. But look at it objectively. What exactly did he accomplish with the Leafs? He didn't win them a playoff round, let alone a Cup, and their improvement can be linked basically to two players: Matthews and Marner, who they got by being crap for years, not because Lou is some kind of genius.

And let's also not forget that the reason Lou was even available to come to Toronto was because he soiled the sheets in New Jersey. But every guy who gets hired by the Leafs automatically gets tagged as a "genius" for some reason, even though none of them ever get the team over the hump. Pat Quinn was ignored for years and even disparaged when he was leading the Canucks past the Leafs in the 94 semi-finals. But as soon as the Leafs hired him he was a genius and every time a goal was scored for or against Toronto the cameras would switch over for a Quinn reaction shot like they were waiting for some holy utterance or something. Same thing with Burke. He was a joke but all of a sudden was elevated to genius status when hired by the Leafs. And just like Quinn, the same quick cutaway for the Burke reaction shot after every goal.

The way the media hypes every Leafs coach or GM is sickening. But in the end all it really accomplishes is to encourage people to have unrealistic expectations. Now here goes Lou to the Island. He hasn't won a thing in the NHL since the Devils' last Cup in 2003 but he comes in riding a wave of expectations because he spent a couple of years with the Leafs when they went from bottom-feeder to first round fodder.

Big effin' deal.

Reactions: BLONG7 and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The "success" the Habs had during those year had very little to do with David Desharnais' performance...I'm not sure why you're referencing their division titles in conjunction with Desharnais. That "success" would of been the same if Galchenyuk had been playing that exact role, only difference is he'd be a much better player today.

And please don't tell me that he would of been killed in matchups, it's not like Desharnais was some defensive stalwart.

It's just more shortsightedness from this organization that we've become accustomed too...they'll repeat it again when they re-sign Plekanec in a few weeks at the expense of DLR.

Like I said, he's a better communicator than Therrien was...and if that's the plan with Galchenyuk moving forward, and they'll eventually move him back to center (and I agree he made gains in terms of puck management skills this year when he played wing) then that's fine because unlike MT, i'm sure CJ would of communicated this to Galchenyuk.

That being said, he's still like 80-80% of coaches in the NHL...vets get a pass, while younger players get lessons.

I was not a huge fan of DD myself but he did make less mistakes with puck management. Habs being a top 10 team meant that MT used him cause he wanted players he could trust in critical parts of the game. Galchenyuk turned it over in critical situations cause he was very young. Same as Drouin today. Maturity is required. MT got the best of what he could from what he had. His focus was defense first and that's why we won 3 division titles in 5 years. With him gone and CJ as our coach, we have not focused on defense first and look the results. It's a good thing... we have taken a step back and that should of happened back in 2012 (in hindsight).

I also not a huge fan of CJ as our coach for the reasons you mentioned. I do like him more than MT though.

Reactions: scrubadam

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I was not a huge fan of DD myself but he did make less mistakes with puck management.
I thought DD got more heat than he deserved around here - but this couldn't be further from the truth.

Habs being a top 10 team meant that MT used him cause he wanted players he could trust in critical parts of the game. Galchenyuk turned it over in critical situations cause he was very young. Same as Drouin today. Maturity is required. MT got the best of what he could from what he had. His focus was defense first and that's why we won 3 division titles in 5 years. With him gone and CJ as our coach, we have not focused on defense first and look the results. It's a good thing... we have taken a step back and that should of happened back in 2012 (in hindsight).
Agreed - and he, MT, decided to trust Desharnais...not because he was more trustworthy, but because that's who MT chose to trust. Let's not act like Desharnais was Patrice Bergeron 2.0 here....

He was as risky and mistake prone as Galchenyuk was, probably even more so.

I also not a huge fan of CJ as our coach for the reasons you mentioned. I do like him more than MT though.
Coaching these days, IMO, is mostly about handling personalities/egos....and Therrien was awful at this.

CJ is better but it's hard not to be an improvement in this area on his predecessor.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Little news of Bell Media and Groupe CH are now part of the ownership group of JFL. They got a head start with this past season being one long 82-game comedy act.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad