HF Habs: Official Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
According to George Laraque, Kovalchuk has asked Kovalev about Montreal.

Take this with a HUGE grain of salt as Laraque is not the most reliable. But it's what he said today.

...well Kovy would give nothing but great words to Montreal forsure.....He loved his time in Habsland,...i think he really regretted leaving Montreal...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
idk why Kovy would join the habs

Im pretty sure he wont get above 5m. Probably sure he will try to join a club to win the cup , hes not 30 year olds

He is 35 , so it will be a bonus deal...they could give him 6 million ,and the cap hit would be way less...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He is 35 , so it will be a bonus deal...they could give him 6 million ,and the cap hit would be way less...

You do understand that, if he earns 6M with the bonuses, the Cap hit is 6M, unless you defer the bonus portion to the following year where it still counts towards the Cap at that point. It takes foresight to not get screwed the following year if the player is lights out. Also, for 35+ players who can get bonuses, I believe that this applies strictly for one-year deals, but I might be wrong on that one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Doesn't even make any sense.. Kovalev hasn't been here in what, 10 years? He would just ask Radulov who would no doubt give him some weariness about negotiating with Bergevin.

He shows up every year in Montreal for charity related activities. He's always on AC when he's in town.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Lol
Kovalchuk is not signing In Montreal for 1 year when other teams will give him 3-4
Cmon man. You’re smarter than that

I would give him a 4 year deal ...just because....

Year 1 -6 million - 35-36 years old
Year 2 - 5 million 36-37 year old
Year 3 -3.5 million 37 -38years old
Year 4 - 2 million 38-39 years

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
According to George Laraque,

image.0.png

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A 3rd or 4th is value. You said he has no value. And my point was how Lindgren sweetens a trade package with Patch. I think you understand my point now.

Ok sure, in the same sense that Fucale can sweeten it too. If you want to play that game...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Rick Bowness won't be back with the Lightning next year. Wouldn't surprise me if Habs and Julien approach him.

He was their D coach and ran their PK. Although it wasn't good this year (they finished a few spots higher than Habs). Their PK has been one of the better ones the last few seasons. Was Top-10 for two seasons and Top-15 another. The other two years weren't good for Tampa's PK.

2013-14: 23rd
2014-15: 7th
2015-16: 7th
2016-17: 13th
2017-18: 28th

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Rick Bowness won't be back with the Lightning next year. Wouldn't surprise me if Habs and Julien approach him.

He was their D coach and ran their PK. Although it wasn't good this year (they finished a few spots higher than Habs). Their PK has been one of the better ones the last few seasons. Was Top-10 for two seasons and Top-15 another. The other two years weren't good for Tampa's PK.

2013-14: 23rd
2014-15: 7th
2015-16: 7th
2016-17: 13th
2017-18: 28th
Chris Nilan would get a kick out of Bowness with the Habs. (had a falling out with him in Boston when he played for the Bruins).

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
He shows up every year in Montreal for charity related activities. He's always on AC when he's in town.

Yep and if I wanted some serious information about a city, I’d probably ask the player who spent more than one season here. Who knows how Radu would have performed 4-5 years down the line here, Kovy can answer that question. He’s got a much better idea of what it’s like to be a Hab than Radu.

I for one hope we get Kovy 2, he would be great here. Especially at a reasonable price.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yep and if I wanted some serious information about a city, I’d probably ask the player who spent more than one season here. Who knows how Radu would have performed 4-5 years down the line here, Kovy can answer that question. He’s got a much better idea of what it’s like to be a Hab than Radu.

I for one hope we get Kovy 2, he would be great here. Especially at a reasonable price.
Just hope he doesn't talk to Markov on what the GM is like...

If we somehow are going all in, i.e. land Tavares and a Top pairing LHD then sure go after him but otherwise no point, might as well tank

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
Just a question should Montreal take a chance and sign Brandon Manning to a contract July 1st? He is a Lefthanded D man.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn't even make any sense.. Kovalev hasn't been here in what, 10 years? He would just ask Radulov who would no doubt give him some weariness about negotiating with Bergevin.
Why would Radulov say anything negative? He made out like a bandit so it didn't matter what happened with Bergevin. Radulov knew he was going to get paid, if not by the Habs, then by some other team.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I would give him a 4 year deal ...just because....

Year 1 -6 million - 35-36 years old
Year 2 - 5 million 36-37 year old
Year 3 -3.5 million 37 -38years old
Year 4 - 2 million 38-39 years

FYI, the smallest amount awarded in a given year cannot be less than half the highest amount awarded in a given year.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not surprised. No way CJ is coaching next season without his #1 center.

Plekanec finished the season 3rd in TOI/GP among Habs centers, behind Drouin and Danault. His minutes were basically all at ES and the PK. At ES, he was 6th among Habs regulars in P/60, ahead of Drouin.

Lets try to limit the criticsms of the team to the ones that are true or open to interpretation. Plekanec wasn't the 1st line center and he wont be if he returns.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Plekanec finished the season 3rd in TOI/GP among Habs centers, behind Drouin and Danault. His minutes were basically all at ES and the PK. At ES, he was 6th among Habs regulars in P/60, ahead of Drouin.

Lets try to limit the criticsms of the team to the ones that are true or open to interpretation. Plekanec wasn't the 1st line center and he wont be if he returns.

I have no problem with the player but Pleks will be overused under Claude and this I can guarantee you. That is the reason that I don't want him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia