OT: Official HF Bruins Board Pet Thread

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Right now I’ve got an application in for a hound/retriever mix. I’ve got one in for a staffy mix. I’ve got one in for a red lab. Another one for a black lab mix. The one I’m hoping for most is a staffy/bull terrier mix that’s good with dogs and cats. She’s 1 and was probably the runt so she’s a full grown ~40 lbs of muscle. Seems like an absolute sweetheart. She’s out of Rocio’s rescues in Cambridge

I’ve gotta be 0 for 12 at this point. One of these gotta work lol

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I have always had dogs. Twice I have had three at the same time, 3-smooth-haired collies and 3-miniature schnauzer. When I put my last collie down because of liver disease at 7 years old, I was in tough shape physically to get another dog or dogs and be able to walk them when necessary.

I now find myself, not improved physically, so the walking problem still exists, but with this coronavirus thing going on, I really could use a best friend. I do have a groundhog I am feeding daily, and we are bonding. I talk to all the dogs in my neighborhood when I can get out.

I used to feed deer and wild turkeys, but they stopped me from doing that.

I fed the birds, but they stopped me from doing that as well; I am living in a townhouse association.

In the meantime, I will enjoy your pets.

Be kind to all animals. They are so good for us.

Thanks for posting about your pets and best friends.

Last edited:

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I have always had dogs. Twice I have had three at the same time, 3-smooth-haired collies and 3-miniature schnauzer. When I put my last collie down because of liver disease at 7 years old, I was in tough shape physically to get another dog or dogs and be able to walk them when necessary.

I now find myself, not improved physically, so the walking problem still exists, but with this coronavirus thing going on, I really could use a best friend. I do have a groundhog I am feeding daily, and we are bonding. I talk to all the dogs in my neighborhood when I can get out.

I fed the birds, but they stopped me from doing that as well; I am living in a townhouse association.

I like you Maine fan.
Take care and stay safe.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

20171031_184352.jpg

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Right now I’ve got an application in for a hound/retriever mix. I’ve got one in for a staffy mix. I’ve got one in for a red lab. Another one for a black lab mix. The one I’m hoping for most is a staffy/bull terrier mix that’s good with dogs and cats. She’s 1 and was probably the runt so she’s a full grown ~40 lbs of muscle. Seems like an absolute sweetheart. She’s out of Rocio’s rescues in Cambridge

We have a staffordshire terrier . They are excellent companions
easily trainable . Elijah is great with other animals including people . we have 3 very small Yorkies as well and a couple of cats and they all get along very well. 70 pounds of muscle and non aggressive

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

We got accepted too from online site. Won’t name.
We just had to send our 3 month old dog back to a foster home after one day. Dog was extremely unstable. First night was as expected but dog would never go when brought outside. Peed and poop in her sleep crate. Tried to escape every time we let our guard down. Later she was getting agitated and try to bit my kids. Went for my wife’s neck. Found out previous foster parents were giving her Benadryl to calm her down. After returning her, a day later, she bit foster parents 13 yr old and he had to go for stitches. She was a Lab/Collie mix with a husky. Cute as a button. She came from Oklahoma. Dog needs to be with pack.

If we get another, we will need to actually meet the dog in person. Either we get a puppy or a two yr plus. You don’t know how these dogs are raised. Right now with Covid, these places are making a killing. They obviously tried to pass the dog on us. Two other people had problems from the same litter.
Oh, I’m not paying these thousands of dollars for a dog. Nice try. What a scam. I will pay a little for peoples time and effort. I will have to wait for some local person who just wants to give them away or wants their spending covered.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We got accepted too from online site. Won’t name.
We just had to send our 3 month old dog back to a foster home after one day. Dog was extremely unstable. First night was as expected but dog would never go when brought outside. Peed and poop in her sleep crate. Tried to escape every time we let our guard down. Later she was getting agitated and try to bit my kids. Went for my wife’s neck. Found out previous foster parents were giving her Benadryl to calm her down. After returning her, a day later, she bit foster parents 13 yr old and he had to go for stitches. She was a Lab/Collie mix with a husky. Cute as a button. She came from Oklahoma. Dog needs to be with pack.

If we get another, we will need to actually meet the dog in person. Either we get a puppy or a two yr plus. You don’t know how these dogs are raised. Right now with Covid, these places are making a killing. They obviously tried to pass the dog on us. Two other people had problems from the same litter.
Oh, I’m not paying these thousands of dollars for a dog. Nice try. What a scam. I will pay a little for peoples time and effort. I will have to wait for some local person who just wants to give them away or wants their spending covered.

thats a shame.

we’ve always gone to meet our perspective adoptees in person. Then before finalizing we have always gone back next day with whatever other dog we had with us to see interactions.
Luckily I’ve never had to return one. But yeah I always expect the first month for the new dog to learn the ropes so to speak.

Reactions: Ladyfan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Shut down on another couple dogs

I asked if it was me at this point and they said it wasn’t *shrug*

put in for a staffy/Dogo mix that’s had a shitty life to date but is still friendly with dogs and cats...JUST LET ME GIVE ONE OF THESE SWEETHEARTS A GOD DAMN LOVING HOME FOREVER IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK????

next move is I’m driving down to Kentucky and finding a stray

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
UST LET ME GIVE ONE OF THESE SWEETHEARTS A GOD DAMN LOVING HOME FOREVER IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK????

My friends were on a trip on the Natchez Trace in Mississippi...found a puppy lost/ abandoned...he was about 6 weeks old. He looks like a Catahoula hound which is the state dog of Louisiana. Sweetest boy.... beautiful brindle color...too smart for his own good.

Annie is a Springer/ border collie mix...she had been returned to the shelter twice....too much energy and will nip while trying to herd....sleeps with me every night...will give me extra attention when I have to use my 'hockey words'...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My friends were on a trip on the Natchez Trace in Mississippi...found a puppy lost/ abandoned...he was about 6 weeks old. He looks like a Catahoula hound which is the state dog of Louisiana. Sweetest boy.... beautiful brindle color...too smart for his own good.

Annie is a Springer/ border collie mix...she had been returned to the shelter twice....too much energy and will nip while trying to herd....sleeps with me every night...will give me extra attention when I have to use my 'hockey words'...

I applied for a hilarious looking catahoula/beagle mix but they can’t get her up to MA because of covid and she recently encountered a medical issue at her foster house

catahoula’s are beautiful dogs

Last edited:
Reactions: eightspokedb

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Shut down on another couple dogs

I asked if it was me at this point and they said it wasn’t *shrug*

put in for a staffy/Dogo mix that’s had a shitty life to date but is still friendly with dogs and cats...JUST LET ME GIVE ONE OF THESE SWEETHEARTS A GOD DAMN LOVING HOME FOREVER IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK????

What's your living situation like (house, apartment?). I got lucky because I work from home full time; the volunteer that came to inspect my place (confirm I wasn't lying on my application) basically told me that families/people with houses are usually prioritized but me being an active young-ish person that works from home full time pushed me up the priority order much more than a normal single person that lives in an apartment.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What's your living situation like (house, apartment?). I got lucky because I work from home full time; the volunteer that came to inspect my place (confirm I wasn't lying on my application) basically told me that families/people with houses are usually prioritized but me being an active young-ish person that works from home full time pushed me up the priority order much more than a normal single person that lives in an apartment.

I live in a house, have a fenced in yard, I’m active, I’m working from home for the foreseeable future, I have a roommate that trained dogs for a living, I can afford medical emergencies, and I have a dog-friendly dog here that would make a great friend for the rescue

I honestly just don’t get it

One lady tried to talk down to me due to my “lack of experience with special needs dogs” like I didn’t have a blind dog, a deaf dog, and a dog with disc degeneration and subsequent bladder problems where I had to manipulate his bladder and pee for him to prevent UTI’s. I basically ran a dog nursing home ffs. My family moved out of the house and it was just me with 3 senior dogs with varying levels of disability.

I didn’t like that lady very much, wrote a very sarcastic email back. Not bothering to apply there anymore. It’s very insulting to tell me I lack experience in something I dealt with for upwards of 5 years. Probably have more experience than 99% of the planet and I’d be willing to bet on that statistic.

Ive been putting in for dogs that wouldn’t make ideal family dogs but I think it’s just that literally half the state is adopting right now lol. I read one shelter saying by the time you inquire on one of their dogs 3-6 applications had already been submitted on them....it was almost like they were trying to deter people from adopting which should tell you how swamped they must be

Last edited:
Reactions: Bocephus86

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I like you Maine fan.
Take care and stay safe.

Thank you very much for liking me and for posting that you do. I feel so accepted here at this site because the Bruins fans at this site are decent, friendly, and caring people for the most part. The only thing I don't like about some of the Bruins fans at this site is that they don't all agree with my political view, LOL.

Thanks again, "Bruins since 1995," much appreciated.

Stay safe, keep your family and friends safe, and don't forget to protect and care for all animals.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I live in a house, have a fenced in yard, I’m active, I’m working from home for the foreseeable future, I have a roommate that trained dogs for a living, I can afford medical emergencies, and I have a dog-friendly dog here that would make a great friend for the rescue

I honestly just don’t get it

One lady tried to talk down to me due to my “lack of experience with special needs dogs” like I didn’t have a blind dog, a deaf dog, and a dog with disc degeneration and subsequent bladder problems where I had to manipulate his bladder and pee for him to prevent UTI’s. I basically ran a dog nursing home ffs. My family moved out of the house and it was just me with 3 senior dogs with varying levels of disability.

I didn’t like that lady very much, wrote a very sarcastic email back. Not bothering to apply there anymore. It’s very insulting to tell me I lack experience in something I dealt with for upwards of 5 years. Probably have more experience than 99% of the planet and I’d be willing to bet on that statistic.

Ive been putting in for dogs that wouldn’t make ideal family dogs but I think it’s just that literally half the state is adopting right now lol. I read one shelter saying by the time you inquire on one of their dogs 3-6 applications had already been submitted on them....it was almost like they were trying to deter people from adopting which should tell you how swamped they must be
Well, you are about 200% more deserving of a dog than I haha. It's gotta be bad luck + everyone trying to adopt a dog right now that they are stuck at home. My fear is those poor dogs are going to owners that aren't ready for the long haul and will be returning to work in a few months, leaving those dogs at home for extended periods of time. I'd much rather someone like you get a dog that some lonely dude whose bored now that they are commuting into the city every day, but I also don't run a shelter so...

Stick it out man. You'll get one eventually and it'll feel like it was meant to be. That's what happened to me.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well, you are about 200% more deserving of a dog than I haha. It's gotta be bad luck + everyone trying to adopt a dog right now that they are stuck at home. My fear is those poor dogs are going to owners that aren't ready for the long haul and will be returning to work in a few months, leaving those dogs at home for extended periods of time. I'd much rather someone like you get a dog that some lonely dude whose bored now that they are commuting into the city every day, but I also don't run a shelter so...

Stick it out man. You'll get one eventually and it'll feel like it was meant to be. That's what happened to me.

yeah I got rejected another couple times and I just flat out told them “listen I can go knock somebody up if you want me to do it, it’s not going to make me a better dog owner or put the dog in a better situation tho”

Probably not gonna end up w a dog through that shelter now but given my track record with them these last couple weeks it wasn’t happening through them anyway

Like it would be one thing if they saw my vet history and it looked shitty, they can look- every dog I’ve had has lived long ass lives and the vets know the financial lengths I’ve gone to care for those dogs as well as how much maintenance a day I needed to do with them to let them lead happy lives into their last days. Just frustrating. Hard not to take it personally when it gets to a certain point. They’ve been giving me the run around. “Oh yeah we’ll put you in contact w their coordinator” *coordinator emails back a week later* “dogs taken, let us know if you’re interested in our other animals!”.....rinse, repeat. Meanwhile the dog I inquire about remains on the site for a couple more days while others come and go

pushing me towards breeders at this point. Sucks but it is what it is, I want a dog and I’m gonna get a dog someway/somehow

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
yeah I got rejected another couple times and I just flat out told them “listen I can go knock somebody up if you want me to do it, it’s not going to make me a better dog owner or put the dog in a better situation tho”

Probably not gonna end up w a dog through that shelter now but given my track record with them these last couple weeks it wasn’t happening through them anyway

Like it would be one thing if they saw my vet history and it looked shitty, they can look- every dog I’ve had has lived long ass lives and the vets know the financial lengths I’ve gone to care for those dogs as well as how much maintenance a day I needed to do with them to let them lead happy lives into their last days. Just frustrating. Hard not to take it personally when it gets to a certain point. They’ve been giving me the run around. “Oh yeah we’ll put you in contact w their coordinator” *coordinator emails back a week later* “dogs taken, let us know if you’re interested in our other animals!”.....rinse, repeat. Meanwhile the dog I inquire about remains on the site for a couple more days while others come and go

pushing me towards breeders at this point. Sucks but it is what it is, I want a dog and I’m gonna get a dog someway/somehow

WTF is happening? Why are you being rejected if you are? Stick with it.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Don’t rush it. It’s really not a good time to get a dog so to speak. The industry is making a killing. Keep an ear out for people that might have a litter. Spread the word around your friends. You don’t need AKC papers.

Reactions: Gee Wally and CDJ

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I dont know if you looked or tried here. In Salem.

We adopted a dog there many, many years ago.

https://www.northeastanimalshelter.org/adopt-a-pet/dogs/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad