OT: Official Golf Thread II

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
My 5th round of the year today. First 4 all at the same course, 103, 105, 105, 104.

Today was a new course. A 109 is my worst round this year... But I golfed pretty well overall.

First two holes were a disaster. An 8 and a 12. But then I went +7 on the next 7 holes.

I hit 10 flipping bunkers today. Never spent so much time in the sand... But I've been practicing and did really well out of it today!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My 5th round of the year today. First 4 all at the same course, 103, 105, 105, 104.

Today was a new course. A 109 is my worst round this year... But I golfed pretty well overall.

First two holes were a disaster. An 8 and a 12. But then I went +7 on the next 7 holes.

I hit 10 flipping bunkers today. Never spent so much time in the sand... But I've been practicing and did really well out of it today!
keep at it, something I hated doing but forced myself to do was practice bunker shots. I`m far from a master at it these days but I don`t get that fear and total uncertainty when I land in a bunker and there`s a few holes on the course I play where I literally say to myself if I miss my spot, I want it in a particular bunker

Been fighting planters fasciitis and transitioning weight from my back foot to lead foot is painful and it affects my swing as I get all arms on the follow through and my game has suffered but still feel lucky to be getting out.

We can play year round here but I still take a December to March break off, shot 82 in my first round, then broke 80 in my 2nd, how? Not a clue, since then, have shot three consecutive 86

When I first started playing, I worked a ton on short game and putting as I never hit long (and I still don`t) which often meant on long courses, I had to have a good short game. My personal opinion for anyone starting out or newer to the game, work on short game/touch around greens first, hit the driving range 2nd but I`m no teacher but most of all, what has always helped me is I don`t obsess over a score or have pre round expectations. I approach this as it should be approached, a game where I get to spend a few hours outside, hopefully have a few laughs both at myself and my buddies. If I play bad, I don`t sulk on the course making life uncomfortable for my playing partners, I simply accept it ain`t my day.

I don`t throw tantrums or clubs, I`m not appearing on tour anytime soon

Reactions: GabeTravels

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Golf finally reopened in Ontario this weekend, got my first round in. My putting and chipping was atrocious but surprisingly the rest of my game wasn't too bad. Don't know if the Greens were super slow or if I just forgot how to putt, but either way I'm excited to be back outdoors and golfing

Reactions: ODAAT

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
haven`t played a ton so far this year but hit the ball horrifically off the tee today but rescue shots/irons and short game were out of this world other than 18 where I totally misjudged the wind, left myself a 55-60 footer for bird and 3 wacked it for an 80

forgot to mention, played with a 76 year old guy who should have been a standup comedian, great guy, everyone at the course knew him, the starter said Frank was a legend, had a beard like Billy Gibbons and had COPD but the starter said to not judge a book by it`s cover, the guy hit his drives likely 240/250, rarely not down the middle and I`d guess he shot mid 80`s.

We were all yakking before teeing off and Frank said "behind every good woman you`ll see Frank" and I knew we were in for some experience

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Alicat

30 best municipal golf courses in America, according to our expert raters

3. George Wright

Hyde Park, Mass.
Donald Ross, 1938
Fees: $50–$57, nonresidents; $41–$50, Boston residents

A WPA project in the late 1930s, this course thankfully came deep in Ross’s career, because it is hard to fathom that he would have had the ability to design so many outstanding holes on this rocky site if he had just arrived from Scotland where all he knew was sandy soil. Fast-forward 35-plus years, though, and Ross and his team, led by Walter Hatch, had developed the skill set to employ dynamite to render holes that make the site look as if it was always meant for golf. Standout stretches of par-4s include 5 though 7, as well as 10 through 12. With no weak links, this municipal course is better than most of the private courses in golf-rich Massachusetts.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
@Alicat

30 best municipal golf courses in America, according to our expert raters

3. George Wright

Hyde Park, Mass.
Donald Ross, 1938
Fees: $50–$57, nonresidents; $41–$50, Boston residents

A WPA project in the late 1930s, this course thankfully came deep in Ross’s career, because it is hard to fathom that he would have had the ability to design so many outstanding holes on this rocky site if he had just arrived from Scotland where all he knew was sandy soil. Fast-forward 35-plus years, though, and Ross and his team, led by Walter Hatch, had developed the skill set to employ dynamite to render holes that make the site look as if it was always meant for golf. Standout stretches of par-4s include 5 though 7, as well as 10 through 12. With no weak links, this municipal course is better than most of the private courses in golf-rich Massachusetts.
Interesting. I'll share this with my mom

I can confirm that the site is incredibly rocky. I bet this is how the surrounding neighborhoods came to be as well.

The course is a phenomenal place to sled and my dad used to take my sister and I up there every winter to go down the 16th fairway.

My only suggestion to those who play this hole is to stay left on 16 or you will slice right into the yards of residents. You also might land in the newish drainage bunker on the right. After a lot of rain it might as well be a moat. They had to do this to properly catch and drain the runoff so it didn't damage the yards and homes.

I almost got hit twice last weekend and last October, on my birthday, had I not been under something, I would have been hit in the face.

I hope someone enjoys the house, yard and view for as long as my family has.

Reactions: Fenway

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
my favorite golf weekend coming up, love the PGA players bitching and moaning about the conditions.

The moment they aren`t playing on courses with wide fairways, forgiving rough they all turn soft

On a personal note, terribly frustrating game yesterday. Standing on the #6 tee box after hitting 5 greens in regulation but 3 putting three of first 5 holes...just didn`t have it on the greens all day which is usually a pretty consistent element of my game

Still managed an 86, didn`t make it any less frustrating

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
my favorite golf weekend coming up, love the PGA players bitching and moaning about the conditions.

The moment they aren`t playing on courses with wide fairways, forgiving rough they all turn soft

On a personal note, terribly frustrating game yesterday. Standing on the #6 tee box after hitting 5 greens in regulation but 3 putting three of first 5 holes...just didn`t have it on the greens all day which is usually a pretty consistent element of my game

Still managed an 86, didn`t make it any less frustrating

Yup, The Masters is the end all be all for me as a golf fan.

But I love the US Open. I love seeing them struggle with real conditions instead of the usual mile wide perfect fairways. It's a true test of skill IMO because you need to have consistent ball striking, accuracy and most importantly make the recovery shots.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yup, The Masters is the end all be all for me as a golf fan.

But I love the US Open. I love seeing them struggle with real conditions instead of the usual mile wide perfect fairways. It's a true test of skill IMO because you need to have consistent ball striking, accuracy and most importantly make the recovery shots.
it really separates the men from the boys. I love the Masters too but this is the week where we see the babies on tour come out and it makes me smile all the time

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I left 6 putts a total of about 6 inches combined short of the hole today, shot 80, woulda been special if those dropped

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just golfed a course out here designed by Annika Sorenstam and Arnold Palmer... Beautiful, difficult course.

And I played within myself and golfed my best round to date! Only my second time breaking 100.

Screenshot_20210701-200825.png

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just golfed a course out here designed by Annika Sorenstam and Arnold Palmer... Beautiful, difficult course.

And I played within myself and golfed my best round to date! Only my second time breaking 100.

View attachment 450828
congrats, the majority of amateur golfers never do it so great stuff

Have been playing a bit more recently but am failing to stay focused for all 18 holes. When I have the exact same pre-shot routine and take just that extra second to make sure I`m in the right position and facing my target, I play well. When I let that slide, it punishes me. Played in the crazy heat the other day and did have a great front with a 38 but then I abandoned that routine on the back and put up a 43, heat wasn`t the issue, the thing between my ears was

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
congrats, the majority of amateur golfers never do it so great stuff

Have been playing a bit more recently but am failing to stay focused for all 18 holes. When I have the exact same pre-shot routine and take just that extra second to make sure I`m in the right position and facing my target, I play well. When I let that slide, it punishes me. Played in the crazy heat the other day and did have a great front with a 38 but then I abandoned that routine on the back and put up a 43, heat wasn`t the issue, the thing between my ears was
Yea I know the feeling. I have played 18 holes twice in the past 2 weeks with the goal of breaking 100. I have unfortunately shot 100 and 101. Today I was doing good by shooting 47 on the front but just lost all control on the back by shooting a 54.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yea I know the feeling. I have played 18 holes twice in the past 2 weeks with the goal of breaking 100. I have unfortunately shot 100 and 101. Today I was doing good by shooting 47 on the front but just lost all control on the back by shooting a 54.
it`s a game that can be frustrating. I`ve played rounds where I was as "can`t miss" as I can play for a front 9 or even 2-3 holes quickly followed by some holes where it would be a legit question of anyone in my group to ask if it was my first round ever

There are some out there like my son who don`t pick up a club for 6 months and fire something in the 70`s. For me, unless I play twice a week which simply isn`t a possibility these days, I don`t really improve, at best I can maintain and maybe catch a bit of fire for a round and challenge breaking 70

I sit right now as a 12 handicap and play at a tough track here that demands shot making as opposed to distance. When I go play other courses I tend to play better simply because few have the same level of challenge as the track I play.

Tons of great tracks on the Island and I am positive there are a few tracks here that are likely more difficult but I haven`t played many courses outside of an hour of travel from Victoria

We have Bear Mountain which is tough but simply because every lie is uneven and the greens are all undulating but it`s pretty forgiving as far as landing areas

Here`s a list of courses they claim are most difficult, I`ve only played Highland Pacific and Bear Mountain and totally disagree they are tough courses

Top 5 Vancouver Island Courses for the Low Handicapper | BC Golf | The BC Golf Travel Authority

My home course below

Olympic View Golf Club in Victoria - Vancouver Island Golf Course in British Columbia Canada, member GolfBC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
posted 4 birdies yesterday. When that happens, you`d suspect someone breaks 80 but nope, surrounded that with 3 double bogies and a few other bogies, bizarro round.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
PXL_20210713_185957402.PANO.jpg

Up in northern Minnesota this week... Golfing Superior National...81 holes in 3 days.

36 today...first 18 with dad was horrific... But we got back on the horse later on. Did best ball match play with the brother in law and sister. Went much better.

This course is stunning...but brutally difficult. Pictured here is 14 down the left in the canyon, and 15 is a par 3 back down the hill on the right.

I stuck the Par 3 both times today to about 10 feet. Missed both birdies though!

Last edited:
Reactions: ODAAT

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Update:

Lowest round ever a few weeks back, 81. 42-39

Shot in the 30's on the front/back twice this year which is more than i have in my life, haha. Worst round this summer has been a 92, which would have been one of my better rounds last year.

#Progress

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad