[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Coach and Management need too make up their mind. Tank or make playoffs. picking 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th is to me unacceptable. Example Pouliot on pp playing every game for the tank. Pouliot scratched every game to make playoffs.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I don't understand how Willie is STILL being brought up here. We just got shutout 4 of 7 games, meanwhile Willie's team just had a 4 game win streak...
Because we all know you never go full Willie D.

Terrible coach.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Coach and Management need too make up their mind. Tank or make playoffs. picking 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th is to me unacceptable. Example Pouliot on pp playing every game for the tank. Pouliot scratched every game to make playoffs.
If you scratch Gudbranson, Pouliot, Eriksson and Schaller, you could have a shot at playoffs.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Because we all know you never go full Willie D.

Terrible coach.

Two WHL championships (plus coach of the year), a Calder Cup, a bronze medal at the Olympics (with an ECHL quality team) and a Spengler Cup gold. He was one game under .500 here (Green is currently 10 games under). I don't think he is the second coming or anything but to call him "terrible" is asinine. Plus he has been gone for a season and a half now so bringing him up constantly (as so many here do) seems like pique to me. Certainly Green is no better and is probably worse...

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Green has pretty much lost me now. Not putting players in the best positions for success, destroying them with grueling practices when this could have been a time to rest and ignoring the real crappy players on the team while employing his crappy methods of 'development' Watching his post game pressers are a waste of my time too

Reactions: Grub and Zippgunn

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I like Travis, despite the team's tendency to curl in on itself whenever EP gets hurt. What he's been able to do with this roster is nothing short of a miracle.

So one win in thirteen games is a "miracle"? Getting shut out in 4 of 7 games is a "miracle"? Giving up FIVE PP goals in a game is a "miracle"? I think the word you are looking for is "disaster" or perhaps "catastrophe"...

Reactions: Grub and mossey3535

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
So one win in thirteen games is a "miracle"? Getting shut out in 4 of 7 games is a "miracle"? Giving up FIVE PP goals in a game is a "miracle"? I think the word you are looking for is "disaster" or perhaps "catastrophe"...
Go to nhl.com. Click standings and scan them. Are the Canucks in last place? No? Oh, they're just outside of a wild card spot? Well, that's a miracle IMO.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Green is having to deal with the fallout from a lot of horrifically bad professional scouting decisions (or favors being done to other teams/players).

I haven't been watching too closely but overall, I don't have much complaints as he always seems to be changing things around and trying new things as opposed to being stubborn.

He's sharing the ice time pretty equally despite how bad some players obviously are and that's certainly not easy given how competitive this league is.

Based on the last month's of work I think I would give him a solid B.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Been thinking about it a bit, maybe I was too hash in wanting to replace Green. I mean, I still believe if you can bring in a top end coach it would 100% be an upgrade and should be made. But that is only if you can attract a coach like that (Quenneville jumps to mind, but he seems to be waiting for the right job). What made me shift my opinion about firing the coach would be the thread about Vancouver being the next Oilers. That made me think about the rotating door of coaches that have gone through Edmonton.

Edmonton has had 9 different head coaches in the last 10 seasons. Having such a revolving door around coaches and systems does nothing but harm to developing players in my opinion, and is one of the reason why they probably "ruin" so many prospects.

Saying that, I think that Green will probably be here for as long as Benning is here. Once Benning gets replaced I can see the new GM wanting "his guy" coaching. So, I've come to change my position and I think the next GM of the Vancouver Canucks is much more important than the current coach. As long as the coaching staff currently isn't a tire fire the stability of is more important.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Green is a fantastic coach. We are very lucky to have him. If you can't see that, you don't really understand hockey.

I'll wager that most people who want to fire Green have never played hockey at a level higher than house. That's not an indictment on them, but it's hard to understand coaching or deployment when all you have to go on is the odd article in The Province.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I have no real problem with Green at this stage. He's not an incredible, franchise changing coach or anything, but he's NHL quality. Somewhere in the middle tier of meh. Like the Markstrom of coaches.

At the very least, I do think Green is improving and that he's a smart person with the capacity and potential to improve, especially if he started getting better players and having his crutches (Pouliot...) taken away. Could see him also going onto be pretty good at his second NHL head coaching job, much like most of the coaches that f*** up their first gig, learn things from the experience, and come back as top tier coaches.

Reactions: mathonwy

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Green is a fantastic coach. We are very lucky to have him. If you can't see that, you don't really understand hockey.

I'll wager that most people who want to fire Green have never played hockey at a level higher than house. That's not an indictment on them, but it's hard to understand coaching or deployment when all you have to go on is the odd article in The Province.

If you think Granlund's deployment is evidence of competent coaching, I question the entirety of your premise.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Green has this reputation that he is a good with young players. This just a mythe. Which young player took his game to different level because of Green?

People are going to say Virtanen. Virtanen is developing so slowly right now. You can put some blame on Gren for Virtanen developing me so slowly

Reactions: mossey3535

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Green's done some decent work with Virtanen and Hutton even if I don't always completely agree with his methods. He also realized (eventually) that Del Zotto was terrible and basically forced Benning to trade him, which was great. I suspect he wouldn't play guys like Granlund and Gudbranson so much if he was given basically any better options (though he arguably has one in Biega). The Pouliot infatuation is a bit bonkers, but hopefully Green eventually pulls a Del Zotto and realizes the guy is awful.

He's also seriously benefited from the Pettersson effect, and the fact that Horvat and Boeser can effectively be coached on autopilot. In the end, we have much more serious concerns related to roster construction rather than coaching, in my estimation.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Green has this reputation that he is a good with young players. This just a mythe. Which young player took his game to different level because of Green?

People are going to say Virtanen. Virtanen is developing so slowly right now. You can put some blame on Gren for Virtanen developing me so slowly

Virtanen has his best developing season under Green. Not sure how you could ask for anything more. You expect Green to suddenly make Virtanen a 30 goal scorer or soemthing ? What the hell is your expectations on "developing him faster"? Your whole premise is absurd.

And, yeah. Boeser, Pettersson.... you know. Those guys. They have done pretty well under Green.

Other than those players, who else does Green have to really work with? You expecting Lind to suddenly become an NHLer because Green is the coach?

Everything you've suggested is weird considering most young players on the Canucks have seen success under Green. Who hasn't ? Who are these young players Green's "mythe" is ruining ?

Both Hutton and Virtanen, who were developing poorly have both rebounded this season under Green, so who are we missing here ?

Basically. What the f*** are you talking about ?

Last edited:
Reactions: tyhee and Nomobo

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017

I Admit i never played hockey in a league and i wasn't allowed to play hockey in the house. I did play lacrosse when i was a kid. I think Green is a good coach. I wish he'd give Virtanen more power play time but i do think he salvaged his career after WD. Green reminds me of AV and that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad