[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Who was the last guy that was good at scoring empty net goals for us? Pavol Demitra?
We had a bunch of ENG under Willie D in the first season he was here.

H. Sedin - 5
Vrbata - 4
Hansen - 3
Richardson - 2
D. Sedin - 2
Weber - 2
Burrows - 1
Horvat - 1
Matthias - 1

Demitra only scored 4 ENG in his time in Vancouver.

Motte has 3.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
If the original poster has no objection, could a mod amend the title to a simple "Travis Green Thread"?

Green is always eligible for discussion, pro and con, but it's the "Official" and "Fire" part in the title that bugs me.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
If the original poster has no objection, could a mod amend the title to a simple "Travis Green Thread"?

Green is always eligible for discussion, pro and con, but it's the "Official" and "Fire" part in the title that bugs me.
Change it to "Travis Green for Jack Adams award"...because if this team makes the playoffs, EP will obviously get some well deserved credit for carrying this team on his back...but Green absolutely deserves some credit for molding the culture of this team as well.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I’ve been impressed with Green. He’s done a good job of balancing between giving young guys the freedom to make mistakes while also teaching that there’s a right way to play and not letting them get away with lazy play or bad habits.

Special teams haven’t been great but that’s probably more of an assistant coach issue.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Not quite willing to buy in to the Green lovefest this season. The overall makeup to the team is pretty similar to last season, they've been getting handily outplayed on a lot of nights, the main reason they're still in the wild card conversation is a result in plugging in a world class talent producing over a point a game at a the midway point, as well as an exceptional run of goaltending since the start of December which has been keeping the team in games.

Not too sure that relying on a handful of elite performances to be on pace for 84 points is necessarily a testament to coaching but it makes for a good story I guess.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Green is being saved by Brock/Bo/Pettersson. Lets not kid ourselves here. He’s basically Willie 2.0 with a bit better decision making. He’s pretty similar overall.

Reactions: TruKnyte and Grub

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Once again Green puts the quest for two meaningless points over the long term good of the team. The players follow the coach, and the coach says turn the other cheek. Pettersson injured again, and no response.

Gross.
Gross?
Nhl head coach is not a long term job,wat they need to do is essentially get as many wins as possible, improve their personal record and hopefully get another chance after the inevitable firing down the years.

I absolutely do not blame Green for valuing 2 pts.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Green didn't think it was a penalty on EP. How is hooking/holding/take down without the puck not a penalty?

The only reason he still has a job gets hooked and taken down behind the play nowhere near the puck and "it wasn't a penalty"

Dumb as WD for sure.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

I do object. I think he is still an amateur coach. But if the crowd wants it changed, then be my guest, make a vote. I stand by my opinion.

Feb 24, 2017
Gross?
Nhl head coach is not a long term job,wat they need to do is essentially get as many wins as possible, improve their personal record and hopefully get another chance after the inevitable firing down the years.

I absolutely do not blame Green for valuing 2 pts.
Dave Nonis could have made a big move for the playoffs and possibly saved his job before losing it months later, by accepting Tampa’s demand of Kesler, Edler, and Schneider for Brad Richards. Instead, he thought about the long term good of the franchise.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I do object. I think he is still an amateur coach. But if the crowd wants it changed, then be my guest, make a vote. I stand by my opinion.

I also look at it like how we sometimes treat our UFA's. Mention buying out useless Lou and in marches the "good luck signing future UFA's if you're going to treat them like that."

We've been flirting with a playoff spot all season... over achieving... or at least surprising many in the Hockey world. Fire Mr. Likeable coach now? I doubt Crawford would answer the phone.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Green is being saved by Brock/Bo/Pettersson. Lets not kid ourselves here. He’s basically Willie 2.0 with a bit better decision making. He’s pretty similar overall.
Insightful. A coach is being saved by his three top players

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
How would Babcock look without Matthews,Marner and Tavares.?..How would Peters in Calgary look without Gaudreau,Gio,and Monahan?..I think that most NHL coaches would look like Willie 2.o if you took away their 3 top players...Weak argument

Seems to me like you're still clinging on to the belief of hoping that the team is a tire fire.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Because the OP hasn’t made the rest of the thread? A mod could change the title and it would work just fine.

? What does the thread got to do with interpretation of OP's post? Considering that OP made the title it clearly should be taken into the context of interpreting OP's post. The way you interpreted OP's post makes me seriously question your ability to comprehend English (which is fine by the way, it just means we have to take into context that your English isn't very good when you post).

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Im on the bubble with Green.Ben Hutton has made huge progress this year.Jake has gotten a lil better,he has pushed the team to be faster,and they look determend at times .My downfall with him is his love affair with Pouliot,and having Baumgartner as a defencive coach.He has made some crazy line up changes,that just are mind boggling also,and cant get a second pp to work.This team needs to stop bleeding Goals against,,its bad.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
? What does the thread got to do with interpretation of OP's post? Considering that OP made the title it clearly should be taken into the context of interpreting OP's post. The way you interpreted OP's post makes me seriously question your ability to comprehend English (which is fine by the way, it just means we have to take into context that your English isn't very good when you post).
Are you serious? I don't even understand the point of this personal attack other than, I assume, a general antipathy toward me for being critical of the regime. I will let the moderators handle that. I will put the next part in bold to help you, however: I'm just pointing out that almost all of the discussion following the initial post can be distilled down to (1) normal discussion of Travis Green and (2) people complaining about the thread title. Almost no one has been sincerely calling for the firing of Green.

Rather than endlessly whinging, a moderator can change the thread title, and voilà, problem solved. Oh, sorry to include a French word there, I realize that might confuse you given the drastic dialectical differences we have.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How would Babcock look without Matthews,Marner and Tavares.?..How would Peters in Calgary look without Gaudreau,Gio,and Monahan?..I think that most NHL coaches would look like Willie 2.o if you took away their 3 top players...Weak argument

Seems to me like you're still clinging on to the belief of hoping that the team is a tire fire.

When have the Canucks lost Bo/Boeser/Pettersson all at once? One of these 3 goes down, and the whole team goes to shit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
When have the Canucks lost Bo/Boeser/Pettersson all at once? One of these 3 goes down, and the whole team goes to ****.
When one of the three goes down along with your 2 best D-men,both defensive centers and your backup goalie..that would be a problem for any coach...Our record with EP out of the lineup is 3-3.

Reactions: Nomobo

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think you also have to be honest....they lost the 13 or whatever in a row and most of those were justifiable losses. There were not 7 or 8 unlucky losses in that string. Then then out a string together something that was legitimate the other way. However over the last 6-8 games I think they've had some results they maybe didn't deserve. I thought the Edmonton, Calgary, Devils and Habs games were uninspiring. That they grabbed 2 wins is likely better than they deserved. What does it look like with Markstrom not saving 94% of the shots the last month. Even a still very good 92% likely loses them one or two more games.

But is that mostly due to the personnel he has to work with? It's a big part of it I think. I do know that he has curious decision making and plays his vets far too much. Why are we still seeing Granlund on the PK and PP? That makes no sense and is a for instance. In short: he hasn't been given much to work with beyond a half dozen players but he also isn't helping himself.

In the end, despite the better record since beginning of December they are still actually only 23rd in p% standings.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Is Travis Green the problem? I feel like the team is giving a better effort on a night to night basis than I've seen from this squad in a long time. Imo, this team lacks enough skill throughout the lineup to win regularly. There have been lots of nights where they're getting outplayed but manage to be up by a couple of goals because guys like Pettersson just need one look to convert. I think that's the case for a lot of teams that are contending. There's lots of nights where they aren't the best team on the ice but manage to squeak out a win because they can hang around and wait for Ovechkin or Laine get a look at a key point in the game.

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad