Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Big picture post --

If you think about it, we are really weak down the middle. DVo, Step, Richardson, maybe Schmaltz / Soda depending what day it is... cup contenders are deep down the middle and we are not. The more I think about it, maybe this would partly explain why our offense has been so bad -- without star pivots it makes sense that the wings / overall offense would underperform.

To be clear, I'm not saying DVo is bad, I'm saying that on a true cup contending team he probably wouldn't even be top six (Bergeron / Krejci, Backstrom / Kuzy, MacK / Kadri, Crosby / Geno, Matthews / Tavares etc). Not saying TOR is a cup contender but you get the point

We need legitimate centers on our roster. We have some decent D right now, and some decent centers may be available for not too much (Staal, RJo, maybe even someone like Getzlaf whose deal is over pretty soon). IMO defense is our strength, but the impact of a true #1 center can't be overstated with our wing-heavy roster. Hayton is still a few years away so a stopgap like a Staal would make a lot of sense I think

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Also, it seems like we all hate Goose for some reason, but the truth is he does block a lot of shots and imo isn't overpaid by all that much for a top 4 D. So I think he has some trade value unlike a Kessel / Keller / Schmaltz etc.

Gogo is currently #7 in BS in the NHL this year, #15 last year, #22 the year before that. Meaning he'd be the leading shot blocker on most teams. Someone would absolutely take him if we retained some salary and /or incl a late round pick
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...ort=10&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0

Would love to trade him (or someone else) for a stopgap center until Hayton grows up

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Someone with a similar problem child at center. Like Johansen or Trochek. Nashville has a bottom of the league GA and a top of the league GF. We are the inverse. They’ve got centers up the Wazoo. OEL for RyJo makes sense.
If you think Chayka is crazy, you are crazier.:) Every time we crap the bed you want to trade everyone. RT should be fired and the new coach will come in and evaluate the team with Chayka. All this talk about trading half our roster is plan stupid and will never happen.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes! I thought that was the tweet in your other post.

Hadn’t got back to that one yet.

Interesting nugget though... Darcy will be the ninth goalie to play for Tucson this year. The fact they’re still leading the Pacific in spite of that is something. And it’s a big game tonight against Stockton because the Heat are nipping at their heels (2 points back with a game in hand).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Big picture post --

If you think about it, we are really weak down the middle. DVo, Step, Richardson, maybe Schmaltz / Soda depending what day it is... cup contenders are deep down the middle and we are not. The more I think about it, maybe this would partly explain why our offense has been so bad -- without star pivots it makes sense that the wings / overall offense would underperform.

To be clear, I'm not saying DVo is bad, I'm saying that on a true cup contending team he probably wouldn't even be top six (Bergeron / Krejci, Backstrom / Kuzy, MacK / Kadri, Crosby / Geno, Matthews / Tavares etc). Not saying TOR is a cup contender but you get the point

We need legitimate centers on our roster. We have some decent D right now, and some decent centers may be available for not too much (Staal, RJo, maybe even someone like Getzlaf whose deal is over pretty soon). IMO defense is our strength, but the impact of a true #1 center can't be overstated with our wing-heavy roster. Hayton is still a few years away so a stopgap like a Staal would make a lot of sense I think
We have been weak a C for the last 100 years. I think our D is made to look good because of our goal tending. Our D isn't bad, rather average.

Also, it seems like we all hate Goose for some reason, but the truth is he does block a lot of shots and imo isn't overpaid by all that much for a top 4 D. So I think he has some trade value unlike a Kessel / Keller / Schmaltz etc.

Gogo is currently #7 in BS in the NHL this year, #15 last year, #22 the year before that. Meaning he'd be the leading shot blocker on most teams. Someone would absolutely take him if we retained some salary and /or incl a late round pick
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...ort=10&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0

Would love to trade him (or someone else) for a stopgap center until Hayton grows up
Gogo gets no love around here and I don't know why. He has brain farts, but he can skate, block shots etc. We need more of him as less of Toaster, Ness, Demers etc.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We have been weak a C for the last 100 years. I think our D is made to look good because of our goal tending. Our D isn't bad, rather average.

Gogo gets no love around here and I don't know why. He has brain farts, but he can skate, block shots etc. We need more of him as less of Toaster, Ness, Demers etc.
Goligoski is the defenseman version of Stepan. I hate both of them.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

I agree with your last sentence but his brain farts are not made up in any other way. At least Yandle put up points consistently. Goose, for the most part, is a net negative. When he has a good game, he’s acceptable. When he has a bad game he’s one of the worst players to put on a coyotes jersey. His range goes from okay to horrible.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
^ that’s what it looks like if you take the lower point out of it and go by W% like every other real sport. Stupid NHL.

True, but worse than that is the standings don't even use pt%. The official standings show us as the first wild card team, when in reality we are 11th place in the West.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
If you think Chayka is crazy, you are crazier.:) Every time we crap the bed you want to trade everyone. RT should be fired and the new coach will come in and evaluate the team with Chayka. All this talk about trading half our roster is plan stupid and will never happen.
We crap the bed a lot. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Maybe rt is exaggerating a bit but a major shakeup is definitely needed.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So both Canes goalies got hurt last night. Wondering if we try and trade Raanta to them. I doubt it but with Keumper almost ready and hill proving he can hang, id look to deal him. JC probably doesn't see it that way though sonce we are fighting for a playoff spot still

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Any chance we could overpay first Brendan Lemieux or is he untouchable for anything approaching a fair price? Guy is a maniac. I’d be thrilled to pick him up. And maybe Borowiecki.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We crap the bed a lot. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Maybe rt is exaggerating a bit but a major shakeup is definitely needed.
There will be five or six changes for next year. The problem is that a couple who should be gone won't be.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So both Canes goalies got hurt last night. Wondering if we try and trade Raanta to them. I doubt it but with Keumper almost ready and hill proving he can hang, id look to deal him. JC probably doesn't see it that way though sonce we are fighting for a playoff spot still

I've heard Chicago's Lehner might be trade bait at the TDL and Carolina has a big short term need.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Sorry guys, I still have no love for Hall. He stood out only in terms of work ethic, and not beyond. He has similar stats for Jersey (6g+19a, 25 pts in 30 games) and Coyotes (9g+16a, 25 pts in 30 games), he is not a ppg player for us, he is on pace for 25 goals for 82 games for us. There is no reason to put big money in a player that cant score at least 35 goals. Hall did it only once in his career.

And in 2-3 years we approach a little rebuild with some contract expiration (from Demers and GoGo to Stepan-Kessel), and our core is [if intact] from 19 years old Hayton to 24 y.o. Dvo/Schmaltz. Hall will turn 29 this year, for that "little rebuild" he will be 32, so.

If there is a chance to add another piece to our young core - we must trade Hall. Upcoming draft is also promising, even late first rounder can give us good young player, that will be ready to go in 2-3 years from now.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry guys, I still have no love for Hall. He stood out only in terms of work ethic, and not beyond. He has similar stats for Jersey (6g+19a, 25 pts in 30 games) and Coyotes (9g+16a, 25 pts in 30 games), he is not a ppg player for us, he is on pace for 25 goals for 82 games for us. There is no reason to put big money in a player that cant score at least 35 goals. Hall did it only once in his career.

And in 2-3 years we approach a little rebuild with some contract expiration (from Demers and GoGo to Stepan-Kessel), and our core is [if intact] from 19 years old Hayton to 24 y.o. Dvo/Schmaltz. Hall will turn 29 this year, for that "little rebuild" he will be 32, so.

If there is a chance to add another piece to our young core - we must trade Hall. Upcoming draft is also promising, even late first rounder can give us good young player, that will be ready to go in 2-3 years from now.

On a pt per game basis, he is the best player we have. But across the league, he's only in the top 50. It all comes down to the asking price. OELs cap hit is $8.25, Kessel $6.8, Stepan $6.5. His value to the team is much more than any of these players, but what's the right price?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

I think he may be the most talented player to ever wear a Yotes jersey. If we wants to be here I’d empty the checking account to sign him.

Just listened to prospect radio this morning on XM and the scout they had on was commenting on how the draft falls off a cliff about the mid 2nd round. It’s apparently why you are seeing so many mid round picks in play right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad