Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe split their time 50/50 and see how it goes. :dunno:

If Raanta continues to play well, I would give Kuemper even less than 50/50 to start. We don't want to break him by bringing him back early we need him next year too. I'd probably give him the first game he's ready for though just to see what happens.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where was this play in Dec, Jan, or early Feb? Asking for a friend.

He had struggles but the defense in front of him was and still largely is atrocious. His effort against St Louis would have straight up stolen the game if the Coyotes could muster a goal or two.

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Where was this play in Dec, Jan, or early Feb? Asking for a friend.

It's entirely possible Raanta just wasn't right yet, nor does he really seem right now either he comes up lame all the time.
I seem to recall a certain poster named hbk screaming into the void for about 8 months that Domi broke his hand :)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It's entirely possible Raanta just wasn't right yet, nor does he really seem right now either he comes up lame all the time.
I seem to recall a certain poster named hbk screaming into the void for about 8 months that Domi broke his hand :)
That’s fine but let’s not act like there wasn’t 1-2 stinkers every game he played.

yes he played fantastic against St Louis. That doesn’t absolve him of being putrid for a prolonged period when the team needed him to step up.

Reactions: Mosby

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That’s fine but let’s not act like there wasn’t 1-2 stinkers every game he played.

yes he played fantastic against St Louis. That doesn’t absolve him of being putrid for a prolonged period when the team needed him to step up.

Most nights he wasn't anything close to the problem.

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I don't think it was that high. Not good enough compared to what I expect from him but not the worst.

If you go back to when Kuemper when down Raanta is at .922. Sv% isn't everything, there are some situational things in there where I think either his propensity to get hurt or a weak goal cost points. I think it was more the former though, he'd clearly be hurt give up 2-3 early and should have obviously never started. They were gun-shy about playing Hill too much when he too had pretty darn good numbers on balance.

But IMO mostly all it exposed is we rely on goaltending too much post October. If merely above average net minding compared to Vezina level play isn't enough we have bigger problems.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
On a lot of nights in a 3-2 league his allowing 1-2 softies per game cost us points.

Revisionist nonsense.

Raanta has had the misfortune of playing for the team heavily during their worst defensive stretch. He's faced 3x as many high danger chances as Hill and 50 more than Kuemper. Rate wise, he faces high danger shots at all strengths about 20% more than Kuemper and his xGA/60 is about 15% higher (a rough measure of shot quality against).

Despite all this, he still has a .921 sv percentage at all strengths. The Coyotes have been giving up way higher quality chances against, and much more frequently. That has nothing to do with him.

He has had some rough games for sure but people are terrible at grading goalies for the most part.

Raanta ranks (all strengths 500TOI):
GSAA/60 - 10th
SV - 10th
Shots against/60 - 7th
Saves/60 - 5th

All of that with the 11th worst xGA/60 in the league. Raanta has been good.

His high danger numbers suck, which is an indictment on your defense and their inability to clear the crease. Does that match the eye test? Hell yeah.

If there's a legit criticism of Raanta, it's that he concedes too many rebounds. That's about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIG

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If you’ve already forgotten about the weak goals Raanta let in nightly in Dec, Jan, and early Feb then I don’t know what to say.

i was a big Raanta guy. Advocated for the deal. Agreed with giving up 7OV for a package that included him and I still think he’s the most talented netminder in the organization when he’s on his game. I thought his play when Keumper went down was disappointing and furthermore I think he’s played his way out of the organization in the off season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Revisionist nonsense.

Raanta has had the misfortune of playing for the team heavily during their worst defensive stretch. He's faced 3x as many high danger chances as Hill and 50 more than Kuemper. Rate wise, he faces high danger shots at all strengths about 20% more than Kuemper and his xGA/60 is about 15% higher (a rough measure of shot quality against).

Despite all this, he still has a .921 sv percentage at all strengths. The Coyotes have been giving up way higher quality chances against, and much more frequently. That has nothing to do with him.

He has had some rough games for sure but people are terrible at grading goalies for the most part.

Raanta ranks (all strengths 500TOI):
GSAA/60 - 10th
SV - 10th
Shots against/60 - 7th
Saves/60 - 5th

All of that with the 11th worst xGA/60 in the league. Raanta has been good.

His high danger numbers suck, which is an indictment on your defense and their inability to clear the crease. Does that match the eye test? Hell yeah.

If there's a legit criticism of Raanta, it's that he concedes too many rebounds. That's about it.
I disliked his propensity to let in weak goals during a critical period when Keumper was injured. Literally 1-2 per game. The tape exists.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Gotta make cap room for Hall. If there's a decent return available on Raanta then he should go.
What’s the definition of insanity?

I will be shocked if Raanta is on this team come September. Full blown away shocked.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What’s the definition of insanity?

I will be shocked if Raanta is on this team come September. Full blown away shocked.

If he goes, it will be because a team wants a platoon goalie and his cap is not something the Coyotes can afford if they are to shoulder raises to Kuemper, Keller and other garbage contracts.

It's not because of your suspect eye test.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If he goes, it will be because a team wants a platoon goalie and his cap is not something the Coyotes can afford if they are to shoulder raises to Kuemper, Keller and other garbage contracts.

It's not because of your suspect eye test.
I have an opinion and I’m not afraid to voice it. I don’t care if you agree with it.

Raanta has proven he can’t handle a starter role. He’s a very good possibly elite backup. He just won’t be in AZ. When they needed him to be the guy, he wasn’t. He has been the last couple of games but IMO (and I am speculating on the organization) he won’t be part of the organization past this season.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That and the whole staying healthy bit. Still think one of them has to go and you hand the backup slot to Hill next year. We're pressed too close to the cap to make the improvements we need elsewhere.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That and the whole staying healthy bit. Still think one of them has to go and you hand the backup slot to Hill next year. We're pressed too close to the cap to make the improvements we need elsewhere.
I like what I’ve seen from Hill the past couple games but If I’m Chayka I’m bringing in another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad