Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he may be the most talented player to ever wear a Yotes jersey. If we wants to be here I’d empty the checking account to sign him.

Just listened to prospect radio this morning on XM and the scout they had on was commenting on how the draft falls off a cliff about the mid 2nd round. It’s apparently why you are seeing so many mid round picks in play right now.
Are you not worried about Hall's age and a long term contract? Can we afford to front load a contract?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I know it's absolute fantasy, but I wish GMJC had worked every ounce of magic he had and dumped the Hall return plus whatever to convince LA to deal Kopitar. Fantasy that LA would consider moving him, fantasy that Kopitar could ever be talked into leaving.

Just feel like the biggest problem with Hall is that he doesn't do anything to fix the Coyotes biggest problem, which is the utter black hole down the middle.

Reactions: Surfshop

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The TDL is tomorrow right? Anyone know what time? I’ll be in Austin for business and won’t be able to check much. Not that I expect Chayka to do anything.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are you not worried about Hall's age and a long term contract? Can we afford to front load a contract?
Muerello has to decide if he is prepared to eat the losses. That decision was made when he bought the team. The upcoming tv deal is going to significantly increase the cap ceiling so the current discomfort with the cap disappears very soon.

will we worry about years 6-8 of a long-term deal? Yes. Do we need to make a bold move to get out of the mess of mediocrity we find ourselves in? Also yes.

If this plan doesn’t work I don’t want Chayka to go back to throwing out cast offs with potential out there in hope that we can bridge the gap until the youth all emerges (hopefully at the same time) to carry this team into a period of sustained success. I’m okay with taking a bold move; especially with a few of our bigger offensive disappointments eating up cap coming off the books in the next 2 years.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know it's absolute fantasy, but I wish GMJC had worked every ounce of magic he had and dumped the Hall return plus whatever to convince LA to deal Kopitar. Fantasy that LA would consider moving him, fantasy that Kopitar could ever be talked into leaving.

Just feel like the biggest problem with Hall is that he doesn't do anything to fix the Coyotes biggest problem, which is the utter black hole down the middle.
As much as I’ve liked the moves Chayka has taken to address our C position we still have a ways to go in player development to be a good team. It’s priority 1 and that’s where the Trochek rumours get interesting. I wonder if Florida is targeting Hall (assuming we don’t make playoffs and Hall says no to an extension) if we deal Hall’s rights (8 year contract) to Florida for Trochek at the draft. This is me talking out of my ass as I haven’t done any research to see if Florida needs to be thinking cap moves of course.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think it's an utter black hole in the middle. I think it's a better mix than we've had in many years. Could it be better? Yes and hopefully it will be soon.

With Dvorak, Hayton, Jenik and Farinacci we're in decent shape.

Stepan and Soderberg are pretty good placeholders, just too expensive for what they bring.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it's an utter black hole in the middle. I think it's a better mix than we've had in many years. Could it be better? Yes and hopefully it will be soon.

With Dvorak, Hayton, Jenik and Farinacci we're in decent shape.

Stepan and Soderberg are pretty good placeholders, just too expensive for what they bring.
It’s better than a year ago but it relies so much on development. That isn’t always a straight forward process.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Any chance we could overpay first Brendan Lemieux or is he untouchable for anything approaching a fair price? Guy is a maniac. I’d be thrilled to pick him up. And maybe Borowiecki.
Still mad the Jets traded him in the Hayes deal.

Rangers fans LOVE him. Best way to get him is as a piece in a larger trade - say Keller for Skej and Lemieux. So, yes, not a fair price.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The TDL is tomorrow right? Anyone know what time? I’ll be in Austin for business and won’t be able to check much. Not that I expect Chayka to do anything.
That is one of the most beautiful cities I have visited. Also, I found the people soooo nice.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Muerello has to decide if he is prepared to eat the losses. That decision was made when he bought the team. The upcoming tv deal is going to significantly increase the cap ceiling so the current discomfort with the cap disappears very soon.

will we worry about years 6-8 of a long-term deal? Yes. Do we need to make a bold move to get out of the mess of mediocrity we find ourselves in? Also yes.

If this plan doesn’t work I don’t want Chayka to go back to throwing out cast offs with potential out there in hope that we can bridge the gap until the youth all emerges (hopefully at the same time) to carry this team into a period of sustained success. I’m okay with taking a bold move; especially with a few of our bigger offensive disappointments eating up cap coming off the books in the next 2 years.
Good post.:thumbu:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
3pm Eastern time.

Reactions: rt

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I’ll be at a hotel and trade show, unfortunately. Do not expect to see much of Austin. Would like to go to a couple of places but don’t know if I’ll have time.
even if you don't get out much, you can still catch a (usually a pretty decent) band playing in the airport terminal.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Morgan tweeted an hour ago that he doesn’t expect anything. They’ve “sniffed around” but haven’t found anything worth going for yet. I really hope there are some new developments in the next 24 hours. If they do nothing at the deadline I think that is going to be a mistake. You have a sub .500 record with Taylor Hall...you’re about to get Kuemper back...why not show Hall how much you want to win and make one more upgrade? The reality should be that Chayka has done more than enough already for these guys, I just don’t think it’s going to be enough without another good center. Eric Staal should be a top priority if he’s willing to come here. Perfect stop gap center for this year and next and then you let him walk...he’s tough and still productive.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I find it hard to believe there are no good hockey trades to be had, short or long term

I find it easy to believe Chayka is afraid to do something, especially something definitive, at this point

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Morgan tweeted an hour ago that he doesn’t expect anything. They’ve “sniffed around” but haven’t found anything worth going for yet. I really hope there are some new developments in the next 24 hours. If they do nothing at the deadline I think that is going to be a mistake. You have a sub .500 record with Taylor Hall...you’re about to get Kuemper back...why not show Hall how much you want to win and make one more upgrade? The reality should be that Chayka has done more than enough already for these guys, I just don’t think it’s going to be enough without another good center. Eric Staal should be a top priority if he’s willing to come here. Perfect stop gap center for this year and next and then you let him walk...he’s tough and still productive.
Russo has indicated a handful of times that Staal has absolutely no interest in going anywhere.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chayka using media to get the market to come to him. Don’t rule out some minor deals but anything big doesn’t happen until Hall gives us a decision and/or at the draft.

I’m torn on things. Obviously I want Hall but there are issues that exist with this roster construction that are going to have to be addressed. If Chayka thinks this team can make a run as constructed despite these flaws and he can make the math work then we see something minor. If they think objectively that they need to make major changes I think that heavy lifting won’t get done until summer.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->