Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think hall will cost a lot, I don't know if it's a good idea to trade for him. If he wants to sign here though, hell yeah.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This could happen at the deadline, but I thought it was more likely to happen in this past offseason and we would get Hall instead of Kessel.

At the deadline, we wouldn't have to pay as much on the salary, but I still feel like we would have to deal a player like Fischer, Hinostroza, or Crouse along with a 1st to keep the salaries in line, but a late 1st alone wouldn't be enough and there would need to be more talent going back that way. We probably need to add more unless purely for a rental purpose.

2020 1st, Fischer, Russo, and a conditional 2021 4th round pick (becomes a 2nd if we re-sign) for Hall, Speers and a 2020 4th round pick? I flip-flop on this, as I don't know if we have the ammo to get this done, compared to other teams in the West. Vegas and Nashville are two teams that I don't think we can outbid easily.
The price would be higher. Also, we’d have to know he wants to re-sign. Why would he want to do that? Haha.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I wouldn't want to trade for Hall at the deadline. Timeline should be right before Hjalmasson is ready to come back, because it would cost a blueliner & forward. He would need time to gel with the team. Price should be cheaper with no new contract. If he could click with Kessel, hopefully, that would be enough to entice him to re-sign. IMO, Keller with Dvorak & Schmaltz would also be an added bonus to the roster in regards of the opposition matchups.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The price would be higher. Also, we’d have to know he wants to re-sign. Why would he want to do that? Haha.

I would be less concerned about Hall re-signing, but would welcome him in a playoff run.

Jakey was concerned about getting a wing and not a first line C. We have Stepan for another year. Dvorak and Hayton are in place for a long time. I don't think that a #1 C is as crucial as people think. We were playoff teams under Tippett without a legit #1 C. Jenik or Schnarr are the other centers who could fill in on the bottom 6 or better in due time. Every year or so, we should be able to find a more than capable center in the draft, even after the 1st round. That may affect our ability to find a #1, but I think we may be closer to having that in one of Hayton or Dvorak.

From a value given up standpoint, I would much rather go after Kreider, Craig Smith, Toffoli, Namestikov, Pageau, Sheary, or Haula when the deadline rolls around.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

If we had to give up Hinostroza at the deadline for Hall (not re-signing him) instead of Fischer in that same deal, do you do it?

I feel like Hinostroza is one of those players who has infectious energy and speed, but I wouldn't list him as being untouchable either.

rt

May 13, 2004
If we had to give up Hinostroza at the deadline for Hall (not re-signing him) instead of Fischer in that same deal, do you do it?

I feel like Hinostroza is one of those players who has infectious energy and speed, but I wouldn't list him as being untouchable either.
I’m not giving up a 1st for Crosby or McDavid at the TDL if they’re just going to walk in the summer. We are not going to win a Stanley Cup in 2020.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I haven't seen a deal listed that would remotely tempt NJ to ship him here anyways.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Fun fact:

Christian Dvorak’s FO% is just under 70% which is pretty much tops in the league with a minimum number of faceoffs.

(edit: IS tops in the league)

More fun facts:

Last night Schmaltz and Stepan had FO% last night of 71%. (both were 5 of 7)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I’m not giving up a 1st for Crosby or McDavid at the TDL if they’re just going to walk in the summer. We are not going to win a Stanley Cup in 2020.

Two of the top 5 teams in GAA last year made the Stanley Cup Finals. The Islanders, Dallas, and Nashville made up the other 3 in the top 5. With the exception of Nashville (due to playing Dallas in the 1st round, all of those teams made at least the 2nd round.

I don't think we would be the best team in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but I wouldn't hard-pressed to imply that we didn't have the makeup on the team to make a nice run of things. Plus, as we play other teams, they are going to realize how we are playing and how well we are doing. Nashville's entire lineup and staff probably walked away from the game last night thinking that the Coyotes are a team that can make some noise in the playoffs, should they get there. As many people have said, winning attracts things. Not just fans, but a player like Hall may like the direction of the team and be prepared to at least finish out the year and potentially gain some ground in re-signing him.

I know that last year, I called the playoffs for the team just before the injury bug hit its hardest. We have already had some injuries, but we are much better constructed to battle that. Regardless of whether people rely on Corsi, Fenwick, or any other measure that they approve of, we don't need that math to tell that this team is turning around its woes in possession, shot quantity, and shot quality. Both in what Arizona is doing, and limiting opponents on that front. If we stay at our current level of play, I think we are playoff contenders 100%. To win the Cup, you have to get in first.

I wasn't able to place my bets last year, but I may do something like $40 to win the Pacific, $40 to win the West, and $20 to win the Cup for the Yotes. I think we have that capability, even though many may not believe that we are there.

Last edited:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Sometimes you are such a downer. It's my fantasy.

I also think they would be more interested in Garland than Fischer.
Under the right conditions and with Hall, we would be 1 of the top teams in the West. The whole premise of trading for Hall is the cost to acquire and the gamble of re-signing. Cost should be cheaper for a rental, and we know that Chayka likes to gamble.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Zucker has been right at the top of my list for years.

Chayka should really be swinging a lottery protected 1st around and see what he gets. Team needs good players now, not 2 or 3 years down the road.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

rt

May 13, 2004
Chayka should really be swinging a lottery protected 1st around and see what he gets. Team needs good players now, not 2 or 3 years down the road.
Where are we with cap space? Does the Hossa LTIR relief cover all of Zucker?

Also, what do you mean by lottery protection? Does that mean if we miss the playoffs we keep it? Or only if we actually win one of the three lotteries? Is the protection for lottery entry or lottery outcome?

If we actually have the capspace, would you do a playoff 1st (slides one year with no protection if no playoffs) and Fischer for Zucker and Seeler?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Where are we with cap space? Does the Hossa LTIR relief cover all of Zucker?

Also, what do you mean by lottery protection? Does that mean if we miss the playoffs we keep it? Or only if we actually win one of the three lotteries? Is the protection for lottery entry or lottery outcome?

If we actually have the capspace, would you do a playoff 1st (slides one year with no protection if no playoffs) and Fischer for Zucker and Seeler?

Protection conditions and any slide if they are met can be whatever you want. I'd probably just top 3 protect it to maximize the value while minimizing the risk. This team isn't finishing bottom 10 barring catastrophe, especially with another added top 6 player.

Money on that trade works when Hammer is on LTIR but once he comes off it doesn't. Realistically, you'd need to move Raanta. Moving Vinnie does it but just barely. It would require Hayton to play full time with no spare forwards.

Reactions: Name Nameless

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With Capobianco being so ready we were in good shape to weather an injury on D. Having a second injured D is going to be a lot tougher.

Edit: I forgot about Lyubushkin! We'll have to call up a scrub but we don't have to put the scrub in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Protection conditions and any slide if they are met can be whatever you want. I'd probably just top 3 protect it to maximize the value while minimizing the risk. This team isn't finishing bottom 10 barring catastrophe, especially with another added top 6 player.

Money on that trade works when Hammer is on LTIR but once he comes off it doesn't. Realistically, you'd need to move Raanta. Moving Vinnie does it but just barely. It would require Hayton to play full time with no spare forwards.

I could see Hinostroza being involved in a deal for Zucker. If Zucker is retained for about $700k on Minnesota's part, I would think Hinostroza and a 1st for Zucker and something future coming back (3rd/4th round pick in 2021 or 2022).

That's an immediate upgrade if Zucker simply took Hinostroza's place in the lineup.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What are people's early takes on Capobianco? I feel like I largely haven't noticed him too much, which I guess is good for a defenseman?

A lot bigger and stronger than when he was drafted. Looks alright in games for a guy straight out of the AHL. He's not great at zone exits or anything but he also doesn't panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad