Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Except one of these roads needlessly burns a year off his ELC. He's either ready or he's not. We're several weeks into the season and he's played less than 23 minutes of hockey in game situations since September. He needs to play.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Except one of these roads needlessly burns a year off his ELC. He's either ready or he's not. We're several weeks into the season and he's played less than 23 minutes of hockey in game situations since September. He needs to play.

I think that we are realizing that we have more pieces that need to play than we have spots on our bench on a night-to-night basis.

I wonder if there is a deal coming, because adding Hayton means sitting one of Fischer or Crouse. Even though Fischer gets a lot of shit on these boards, he is playing well. Has some good defensive plays that people don't see. There were multiple stick lifts and board plays to help keep the puck out of our defensive zone. We have also been fortunate in that our forward group hasn't really seen any injuries this year, aside from the games that Hayton did fill in for Crouse.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I’ve never been so wrong about a player like I have Garland. What an incredible player he is turning out to be.
Don't feel bad, had he not listened to his coaches in Tucson and changed his approach/ game, he wouldn't be in the show. Beauty is that now he's able to implement much of what we did like about his game previously and we get to watch the complete package.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don't feel bad, had he not listened to his coaches in Tucson and changed his approach/ game, he wouldn't be in the show. Beauty is that now he's able to implement much of what we did like about his game previously and we get to watch the complete package.

Read a story last year where Garland admitted he realized he had to change his game if he was going to make the show.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Wasn’t Garland lazy ass **** in juniors? Now he might be one of the hardest working players in the league

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wasn’t Garland lazy ass **** in juniors? Now he might be one of the hardest working players in the league

He played in the Q, where defense doesn't exist, and he was a super hotdog hero style player that got as much ice as he wanted from his coaches. That's how you put up 2.0ppg in junior. He was 20 points ahead of the next best player in the league. Two years in a row. Only Ehlers beat him in PPG his draft year.

The odds of this type of player converting under someone like Tippett would be less than 1%. He simply didn't have a defensive game and, even now, he still cherry picks at the blueline when he should realistically be supporting his own zone. Guys put up with it because from the neutral zone forward, there isn't anyone that works harder than Garland right now.

Hopefully he stays humble and keeps working hard. He could be Marchand without the defense if he plays it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
He played in the Q, where defense doesn't exist, and he was a super hotdog hero style player that got as much ice as he wanted from his coaches. That's how you put up 2.0ppg in junior. He was 20 points ahead of the next best player in the league. Two years in a row. Only Ehlers beat him in PPG his draft year.

The odds of this type of player converting under someone like Tippett would be less than 1%. He simply didn't have a defensive game and, even now, he still cherry picks at the blueline when he should realistically be supporting his own zone. Guys put up with it because from the neutral zone forward, there isn't anyone that works harder than Garland right now.

Hopefully he stays humble and keeps working hard. He could be Marchand without the defense if he plays it right.
Without the shot too

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

I think his defense is underrated. He backchecks as hard as he forechecks most nights. Would he have to backcheck so often if he was in better defensive position? Probably not, but he makes up for it.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Glad to see Garland is starting to get his dues. He's a buzzsaw and he scores. I never understood why some had him as a 13F. Please use more late picks on these types of players.

Seriously. Why late picks are wasted on anything other than high scoring forwards or puck moving dmen who are ranked lower due to coachable tendencies is beyond me.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Glad to see Garland is starting to get his dues. He's a buzzsaw and he scores. I never understood why some had him as a 13F. Please use more late picks on these types of players.

I think people had him as a 13F because of his streakiness last season, along with his entire pro career up until his initial call-up. I remember watching Garland skate in rookie camp for a few years, and believing that unless he had a real epiphany about how he played the game, he would fizzle out in the minors. Kudos to him for realizing that on his own and changing his game - hopefully, with more ice time he can get more consistent.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Garland continues to prove his worth, can't say the same for Vinnie, who I think is the next Stempniak/Duclair-type, who sticks around the NHL for a long-time but with many different teams.

I'll be surprised if Vinnie, who is an RFA, is a Coyote at this time next year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Vinny needs to get away from Grabner and Richie.

Vinnie is only taking 40% of his faceoffs in the ozone by virtue of being on that line. Crouse and Fischer see similar deployment. It really makes no sense to screw up two lines when the perfect defensive winger exists to pair with Richardson and Grabner, which is Crouse.

Chayka doesn't tell Tocchet how to play his lines but he has this one messed up. Fischer and Vinnie would be better off without Crouse, and Crouse would be better at his best job with the 4th line.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think some enterprising stats geek ought to track how many maintenance days Kessel and Schmaltz take this season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Vinnie is only taking 40% of his faceoffs in the ozone by virtue of being on that line. Crouse and Fischer see similar deployment. It really makes no sense to screw up two lines when the perfect defensive winger exists to pair with Richardson and Grabner, which is Crouse.

Chayka doesn't tell Tocchet how to play his lines but he has this one messed up. Fischer and Vinnie would be better off without Crouse, and Crouse would be better at his best job with the 4th line.

Could also be that Vinnie is the type of player that is more likely to get caught too far up ice, and Richardson/Grabner are better fits on that front. Also, Richardson and Grabner are both LH. Adding Crouse is 3 LH shots. Might be why Vinnie is on that line. Although that could theoretically mean moving Fischer to that line instead.

I do think that one of Fischer or Hinostroza will be in the move come deadline day. Maybe even Richardson, if it is likely to see Hayton step into a role by the end of the year. Picture Soderberg as our 4th line C because Hayton, Stepan, and Dvorak are all basically #2 Cs at the very least.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Could also be that Vinnie is the type of player that is more likely to get caught too far up ice, and Richardson/Grabner are better fits on that front. Also, Richardson and Grabner are both LH. Adding Crouse is 3 LH shots. Might be why Vinnie is on that line. Although that could theoretically mean moving Fischer to that line instead.

I do think that one of Fischer or Hinostroza will be in the move come deadline day. Maybe even Richardson, if it is likely to see Hayton step into a role by the end of the year. Picture Soderberg as our 4th line C because Hayton, Stepan, and Dvorak are all basically #2 Cs at the very least.
There could be defensive reasons for the current line combinations, maybe PK time plays into it as well. Our team D is pretty solid right now, keep that in mind before we change too much looking for offence out of marginal offensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad