Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is for discussion of the current roster for the 2019-20 season.

It is not for discussing former players, former coaches, etc as the main subject. We have other threads such as the “Around The NHL” series for that.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Been thinking about a trade with the Rags for Kreider and signing Gardiner.
A lot of ifs, so it looks unlikely, maybe wishful thinking on my part.
But a Kreider-Dvorak-Hinostroza line looks intriguing.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Goligoski+Hossa+Merkley+Unprotected 1st?
Based on the U18’s I think the first half of this draft is gaping up to be very good. That unprotected 1st may be off the table for teams that are projected to be drafting in Top 15-20. That being said that’s the carrot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Based on the U18’s I think the first half of this draft is gaping up to be very good. That unprotected 1st may be off the table for teams that are projected to be drafting in Top 15-20. That being said that’s the carrot.
We’d just have to dump at least Hossa+Goligoski, I’d think. Those twonprobably cancel eachother’s Value out. And New York probably doesn’t have any interest in Goligoski anyway. So it would probably require a pricey package like a prospect and a 1st.

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We’d just have to dump at least Hossa+Goligoski, I’d think. Those twonprobably cancel eachother’s Value out. And New York probably doesn’t have any interest in Goligoski anyway. So it would probably require a pricey package like a prospect and a 1st.
You know if we trade it we are guaranteed to finish with 14OV pick and then win the draft lottery.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand the interest in Kreider, especially at that cost. I'd much rather go after Zucker at a lesser cost or one of the castaways that will occur when the RFAs finally sign. Or just wait until next year's free agent crop and take a shot at a top 6 forward then. By that point, we will know what we have in players like Fischer, Merkley, Garland, etc.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
You do not want your team to trade picks for this draft, if anything load up on them wherever you can, this is the kind of draft you can build a franchise with. The amount of skill and talent as it looks now might compete with the 2015 draft without McDavid. You don't even need a top 15.

Reactions: hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't understand the interest in Kreider, especially at that cost. I'd much rather go after Zucker at a lesser cost or one of the castaways that will occur when the RFAs finally sign. Or just wait until next year's free agent crop and take a shot at a top 6 forward then. By that point, we will know what we have in players like Fischer, Merkley, Garland, etc.
Yeah, I’m not sure it’s the right thing to do in September. Maybe November.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
You do not want your team to trade picks for this draft, if anything load up on them wherever you can, this is the kind of draft you can build a franchise with. The amount of skill and talent as it looks now might compete with the 2015 draft without McDavid. You don't even need a top 15.

Yeah, starting to trade away the highest draft picks, just as the teams drafting has become good, that doesn't sound like a plan to me.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I look at it as Kreider &Gardiner > Chychrun. Goligoski has a 8team trade list, so he would be next to impossible to trade. I don't see us moving any other d'man just to sign Gardiner.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Sign Gardiner and trade Goligoski for a pick. Hopefully a 2nd but I could see a lot of team not valuing Goligoski that much. Id toss in a pick with Goose to get a 2nd back.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I look at it as Kreider &Gardiner > Chychrun. Goligoski has a 8team trade list, so he would be next to impossible to trade. I don't see us moving any other d'man just to sign Gardiner.
You are getting 20 cents on the dollar return. It’s not pretty but u paid nothing to get him as well.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
You are getting 20 cents on the dollar return. It’s not pretty but u paid nothing to get him as well.
To who on his 8 team trade list?
And remember that this signing was Chayka's 1st as GM. Minn? Pitt? SJ? Bos?
See where I'm going. $5.45M for next season would be hard to swallow. Teams that would be willing won't be on his list and I doubt that Chayka would ask Goligoski to waive his 8team limited NTC.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
To who on his 8 team trade list?
And remember that this signing was Chayka's 1st as GM. Minn? Pitt? SJ? Bos?
See where I'm going. $5.45M for next season would be hard to swallow. Teams that would be willing won't be on his list and I doubt that Chayka would ask Goligoski to waive his 8team limited NTC.
He would have just submitted his list back in July. It wasn’t negotiated when he signed the contract. Nobody has ever said this was easy. Nobody is claiming market value. It all depends who is on his list.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I doubt we are making too many more moves this offseason.

When it comes to potential trades, the good news is that we have some young players who can be of good value at the deadline, if making moves to improve the team with a rental. Say Fischer isn't living up to potential - he could net someone like depth D or a bottom 6 expiring deal like Sheary for Fischer plus a 5th?

We wouldn't need to get a 1st or 2nd involved. And if we are not willing to make deadline moves, but are still in playoff position, a 1st in the 15-23 range and a player like Fischer could also move you up a few spots. We have already seen that Chayka isnt afraid to do so.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I just don't see any of the 8teams willing to take on Goligoski's contract without dumping a comparable contract. His value to the Coyotes would be greater than a contract coming back.
I can speculated that Minn is on the list. They don't need him. Pitt? Probably on the list. Other teams that he knows won't trade for him for cap reasons. It doesn't make sense to sign Gardiner without moving a blueliner 1st. I can't see 34yo Goligoski, with another year left on his contract, being able to get traded now.
I originally thought about a Kreider pairing with Kessel and a Chychrun for Kreider works cap wise. Also thought about Fast, but couldn't think how to make the cap work and sign Gardiner.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just don't see any of the 8teams willing to take on Goligoski's contract without dumping a comparable contract. His value to the Coyotes would be greater than a contract coming back.
I can speculated that Minn is on the list. They don't need him. Pitt? Probably on the list. Other teams that he knows won't trade for him for cap reasons. It doesn't make sense to sign Gardiner without moving a blueliner 1st. I can't see 34yo Goligoski, with another year left on his contract, being able to get traded now.
I originally thought about a Kreider pairing with Kessel and a Chychrun for Kreider works cap wise. Also thought about Fast, but couldn't think how to make the cap work and sign Gardiner.
I think it depends who the 8 teams are. Did agent go with winners or tax benefits or did he target 8 teams with no cap room. We don’t know. We just all think it’s highly unlikely and at a discount.

rt

May 13, 2004
An 8 team NTC makes him next to impossible to trade? That leaves 22 teams you can trade him to. Seems fairly easy. Especially if you’re not concerned about the return asset and you’re willing to retain a little.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think it depends who the 8 teams are. Did agent go with winners or tax benefits or did he target 8 teams with no cap room. We don’t know. We just all think it’s highly unlikely and at a discount.
He submitted a list of 8 he can refuse. Not a list of eight he’ll accept. There are 22 teams he can’t use his NTC on.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He submitted a list of 8 he can refuse. Not a list of eight he’ll accept. There are 22 teams he can’t use his NTC on.
Geez. That improves likelihood and the return. I totally misread the clause. This could actually happen.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Sign Gardiner and trade Goligoski for a pick. Hopefully a 2nd but I could see a lot of team not valuing Goligoski that much. Id toss in a pick with Goose to get a 2nd back.
Honestly if I'm any GM in the NHL I doubt id even give a 3rd for Goligoski, makes too much money, has a 8 team no trade list so options are limited since he can veto teams that would be interested in him potentially and he really never impresses me at any end of the ice. I think he's a solid bottom 4 d that can reliably eat 16-20 minutes but is also fairly easy to replace. He's not the best defensively by any means, doesn't really bring an offensive spark but he is reliable. His best quality is his transition passes I think. I'd really have no problem replacing him with Oesterle right now if it cleared the cap a bit for next year.
Id also be ok with getting Gardiner for this year as a temporary offensive boost, but I'd focus more on paying the forwards and building the forward lines, Arizona has too much cap spent on their blueline in my opinion. Teams aren't building from the net out like they use to, the best teams are building forward depth then adding d when they become available with deals that are steals (Barrie, trouba, Subban this off season alone). So you need to get those forwards that rarely change teams through the draft. Which is the reason I would always look to draft game changing forwards in the first 3 rounds. Unless you get a chance to grab a D that fell way too far or a absolute homerun player like Dahlin or Hedman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad