Salary Cap: Official Cap Hell / Contracts Thread

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is a prime example of the stat sheet not acting as a true reflection. If you haven't been watching the games and just checked the newspaper the next morning you'd swear to god Kucherov is having a career series. With the exception of a 10 minute window, both Kucherov and Johnson have been playing well under par this series. Not only have they been invisible for the most part but they've also, uncharacteristically, looked dreadful at times.

Same thing last year. Their play severely degraded in the ECF and SCF from the earlier rounds.

I'm glad you brought up Crosby and Malkin - another example of the stat sheet not acting as a true reflection. Crosby's been a thousand times better than Malkin this series yet, he only has one more point. Kucherov actually has 2 more points than Crosby and their play isn't even comparable in this series.

Do you not realize how vulnerable the ole "stat-watching" argument is when trying to defend Steven Stamkos?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
And this is a prime example of where stats can sometimes be misleading. He may have 7 points in this series but outside of 10 minutes he's been terrible. If anybody disagrees with this their obviously just reading the stat line the next day and not actually watching the games. If it wasn't for Vasilevskiy bailing him out after his gaff in game 5, this series would be over.

Gets mad at people for stat watching. Wants to extend Stamkos because of his stats. #HFlogic

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Possibly the end of Stamkos here. How are we gonna move Callahan? Carole is bought out. KK is a legit top 4.

He's still a project. I see us groom him into a bigger role, like we did with Sustr 1-2 years ago. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a regular on the 3rd pairing with shifts and games on the 2nd later on.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is a prime example of the stat sheet not acting as a true reflection. If you haven't been watching the games and just checked the newspaper the next morning you'd swear to god Kucherov is having a career series. With the exception of a 10 minute window, both Kucherov and Johnson have been playing well under par this series. Not only have they been invisible for the most part but they've also, uncharacteristically, looked dreadful at times.

Same thing last year. Their play severely degraded in the ECF and SCF from the earlier rounds.

I'm glad you brought up Crosby and Malkin - another example of the stat sheet not acting as a true reflection. Crosby's been a thousand times better than Malkin this series yet, he only has one more point. Kucherov actually has 2 more points than Crosby and their play isn't even comparable in this series.

hahah what is this logic? You'd rather them not hit the scoreboard in order to produce a little more chances? :laugh:

You know what else? Kucherov and Johnson have a combined caphit of less than 5m, they're playing significantly above their paygrade unlike the supposed star player of this team who wants a considerable raise :laugh:.

Maybe they'll get some more criticism when you know, they don't live up to their pay.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos and Carle are gone for sure, IMO.

Michelle Gingras ‏@michellegingras 17m17 minutes ago
Stamkos on #TBLightning: 'it was a hell of an honor to be on the ice with those guys tonight.'

So we'll have some cap space to retool. But we'll have to hold some money back for the future. Not something Yzerman likes to do.

Koekkoek can play a third pairing role immediately. I'm not comfortable with him in the top-4, and it could be a while. I don't think we'll be adding a Dman.

We'll need a 2C, at the very least, up front.

I wouldn't have believed Paquette could play his way out of a regular spot in one post-season, but I now think he did exactly that. Good spot to ease Tanner Richard in.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
Callahan is not going anywhere, so please stop.

He sucks now at his current cap hit. If he didn't have such an awful contract he could stay. But not at 5 per.
He's still a project. I see us groom him into a bigger role, like we did with Sustr 1-2 years ago. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a regular on the 3rd pairing with shifts and games on the 2nd later on.

You think so? I thought the last two games he was awesome. His defence needs to improve but his puck moving skills were Hedman-esque. No doubt he's NHL ready. He should add some weight this off season. I see him beating out Coburn and Sustr for a top 4 spot. It's awesome that we're adding youth to our back end as well.
Which is unfortunate. Stuck with that horrible contract until it expires.
this

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
What I see:

Carle being bought out or sent to a team needing to hit the cap floor(would have to sweeten as it is Carle).

Filpulla won't be moved if Stamkos leaves. If Stamkos stays then there would be a market for him as the center UFA class is horrible.

Stamkos is probably gone. Gonna want to cash in while he can and no hate for that. Will always love him for what he did for the team but the way he's been playing the past few years will make me hate him if we sign him to the contract he wants.

Callahan probably won't be moved unless he wants to go.

Nesterov will probably be moved or go to Russia as we have better options as our #7

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What I see:

Carle being bought out or sent to a team needing to hit the cap floor(would have to sweeten as it is Carle).

Filpulla won't be moved if Stamkos leaves. If Stamkos stays then there would be a market for him as the center UFA class is horrible.

Stamkos is probably gone. Gonna want to cash in while he can and no hate for that. Will always love him for what he did for the team but the way he's been playing the past few years will make me hate him if we sign him to the contract he wants.

Callahan probably won't be moved unless he wants to go.

Nesterov will probably be moved or go to Russia as we have better options as our #7

Yeah, what happens to Nesterov is a pretty big question mark. I think he goes the way of Barberio and we use that spot to groom somebody else.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
hahah what is this logic? You'd rather them not hit the scoreboard in order to produce a little more chances? :laugh:

You know what else? Kucherov and Johnson have a combined caphit of less than 5m, they're playing significantly above their paygrade unlike the supposed star player of this team who wants a considerable raise :laugh:.

Maybe they'll get some more criticism when you know, they don't live up to their pay.

Not at all. I said the stat sheet hasn't been a true reflection of their play. Said nothing about not wanting them to hit the score sheet. Where do you come up with this stuff?

The thing is, you want to pay Johnson and Kucherov based on playoff success. You might want to curb the number you had in mind if that's what you're basing your number on. Two years in a row they've s#!t the bed during crunch time.

So, two guys can tear the playoffs a new one during the early rounds then completely disappear and that's acceptable to you because of their pay. What a joke.:laugh:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not at all. I said the stat sheet hasn't been a true reflection of their play. Said nothing about not wanting them to hit the score sheet. Where do you come up with this stuff?

The thing is, you want to pay Johnson and Kucherov based on playoff success. You might want to curb the number you had in mind if that's what you're basing your number on. Two years in a row they've s#!t the bed during crunch time.

So, two guys can tear the playoffs a new one during the early rounds then completely disappear and that's acceptable to you because of their pay. What a joke.:laugh:

If we're going by that logic we shouldn't ice a team because they all **** the bed in crunch time and none of them are worth a dime.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Gets mad at people for stat watching. Wants to extend Stamkos because of his stats. #HFlogic

Mad? :laugh:

Do you just make this stuff up or did you really get that from my post?

Let me try this again.

At no point did I say stats aren't important. I have no idea where you read this. I simply said, this is an example of of the stat sheet not reflecting play. You are aware that this does happen from time to time. A prime example being Crosby last night - zero points on the stat sheet yet he was fantastic.

I have no idea how extending Stamkos came into play. In future please stay on topic.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
If we're going by that logic we shouldn't ice a team because they all **** the bed in crunch time and none of them are worth a dime.

Among the bulk of the people here, who are the two players on this team who are "must signs" before the because they "get it done" in the playoffs?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Among the bulk of the people here, who are the two players on this team who are "must signs" before the because they "get it done" in the playoffs?

That's a confusing question, I'll try to answer it. Must signs are Hedman and Kucherov, our two best players outside of Bishop. They also happen to be, outside of the Pittsburgh series, two who also bring it in the playoffs.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
That's a confusing question, I'll try to answer it. Must signs are Hedman and Kucherov, our two best players outside of Bishop. They also happen to be, outside of the Pittsburgh series, two who also bring it in the playoffs.

Ok, well I would have said that the main argument has been that Stamkos is expendable because Kucherov and Johnson bring it in the playoffs and Stamkos doesn't.

Call me crazy, but if your end game is the Stanley Cup, is there really that much of a difference between a guy who is a big part of getting you to the playoffs and a guy plays well for two rounds of the playoffs then disappears when you need him most?

I think you may be getting confused with guys like Kane and Toews. They're a better example of guys who "bring it" in the playoffs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ok, well I would have said that the main argument has been that Stamkos is expendable because Kucherov and Johnson bring it in the playoffs and Stamkos doesn't.

Call me crazy, but if your end game is the Stanley Cup, is there really that much of a difference between a guy who is a big part of getting you to the playoffs and a guy plays well for two rounds of the playoffs then disappears when you need him most?

I think you may be getting confused with guys like Kane and Toews. They're a better example of guys who "bring it" in the playoffs.

Johnson and Kucherov were every bit the reason we made the playoffs the past few years just as much as Stamkos. Stamkos didnt carry us in, we were a lottery team before Johnson and Kucherov came along.

So last year Johnson had 23 points in 26 games, Kucherov 22 in 26, Kane 23 in 23 and Toews 21 in 23. In the finals Kucherov, Kane and Toews had 3 points while Johnson 2, was playing with a broken wrist. How can you say Toews and Kane bring it when it mattered most but not our guys? Looks like it's a wash to me.

If you want to judge the finals only then Callahan was our best player and brought it but he sucked the first 3 rounds. If it wasn't for Johnson vs Detroit we don't even male it out of the 1st round. Sure the finals is the most important but there's a journey to get there and Johnson and Kucherov carried us on that journey.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Johnson and Kucherov were every bit the reason we made the playoffs the past few years just as much as Stamkos. Stamkos didnt carry us in, we were a lottery team before Johnson and Kucherov came along.

So last year Johnson had 23 points in 26 games, Kucherov 22 in 26, Kane 23 in 23 and Toews 21 in 23. In the finals Kucherov, Kane and Toews had 3 points while Johnson 2, was playing with a broken wrist. How can you say Toews and Kane bring it when it mattered most but not our guys? Looks like it's a wash to me.

If you want to judge the finals only then Callahan was our best player and brought it but he sucked the first 3 rounds. If it wasn't for Johnson vs Detroit we don't even male it out of the 1st round. Sure the finals is the most important but there's a journey to get there and Johnson and Kucherov carried us on that journey.

Yup. Stamkos certainly didn't accomplish much in the first 3 rounds while the Triplets carried us to the Final. Then when Johnson broke his wrist and could no longer carry the offense, where was Stamkos? Still a no show.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009

Really? I'm basing that on the 3 Cups they've won. I believe they both have a Conn Smythe each as well.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Yup. Stamkos certainly didn't accomplish much in the first 3 rounds while the Triplets carried us to the Final. Then when Johnson broke his wrist and could no longer carry the offense, where was Stamkos? Still a no show.

Once again, please show me where I said anything about Stamkos in last years playoffs. This is about Kucherov and Johnson packing it in when it matters most for the second year in a row.

For the record, you're not entirely correct on Stamkos and the first three rounds last year. I don't know if you watched the Rangers series last year (I can only assume you never) but Stamkos was the best player in it. You're right about rounds one, two and the SCF but he was great in the ECF.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Really? I'm basing that on the 3 Cups they've won. I believe they both have a Conn Smythe each as well.

It's a team sport, they had a much better one than us. If we won last year I'm sure one of the two would've won the Conn Smythe. Toews was terrible during the 13 playoffs and didn't do anything in the finals last year, you can win cups without bringing every year, he just happens to be on the best team the past 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad