Salary Cap: Official Cap Hell / Contracts Thread

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just an add to your comment. If the intentions are to buyout Carle, but not buy out Fayne, the cap hit is negligible between the two players for two years, but substantial in years 3 and 4 when Fayne comes off the books. However, remember that if you buy out Carle his roster spot needs to be filled, and that means paying someone basically $1 million per. So there is still a @ $1.1 million savings if you keep Fayne for the duration of his contract(depending on how expensive Carle's replacement would be). If you make the deal and buyout Fayne, the savings are less, more like an average of $550,000 per season for 4 years.

I don't think we'd give up DeAngelo even to get Carle's full salary off the books.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Just an add to your comment. If the intentions are to buyout Carle, but not buy out Fayne, the cap hit is negligible between the two players for two years, but substantial in years 3 and 4 when Fayne comes off the books. However, remember that if you buy out Carle his roster spot needs to be filled, and that means paying someone basically $1 million per. So there is still a @ $1.1 million savings if you keep Fayne for the duration of his contract(depending on how expensive Carle's replacement would be). If you make the deal and buyout Fayne, the savings are less, more like an average of $550,000 per season for 4 years.

u r still not getting tony d :) fayne sucks if we traded this deal people would call for yzermans head and rightly so

fayne is no improvement to carle

thank god we got koekoek

probably in time going to entertain buying out carle this year and maybe callahan down road.

I personally do not trade a solid asset and that is all that tony d is right now to handle either contract or even if we wind up buying out both guys.

i do not give up first round even second round picks or players to move these contracts. If they dont move you buy them out. We got a great owner we can spend to cap if have to bite a bullet will do that. Not losing assets for dead weight. Later rounders guys that need new horizons or shots? Sure guys still improving maybe capable of being part of core or team

nah not sooo much.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

We need the cap savings in year 2 though with the difference between having Fayne and Carle's buyout is almost 2mil which we need. We ran with a 21-22 man roster last year so that extra healthy scratch wasn't eating anything on our cap, we will most likely do the same if we need some extra savings. if you want to talk Fayne for Carle + but not DeAngelo or anything of that significant value we're all ears.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So? Just because we have that much space doesn't mean we need to use it. With nobody significant coming off the books in 17-18 and a plethora of players to sign we need to keep 8-10 open ahead of time and still look to open up more space.

Got to assume by then we trade Killorn for a pick and move flipper out this summer! Garrison and bishop are going to need to move out for sure to sign drouin, hedman, Johnson and palat by then! Hell we might have to also buy out Callahan

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
How about 2 years of Carle for 1 year of Iginla ? Their cap hits are about the same but Iginla actually produces. He is 38 but probably would waive for a last chance of a cup. It's a stop gap but our problem is we can't sign anyone long term because the next summer could be cap hell. I doubt if Colorado would go for it, but they do need D. Iginla would really help our bottom 6. He's played 82 games the last 3 years. Had 22 & 25 last year. It would be a way of not having dead money with Carle's contract and buying time until some of our young forwards are ready.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How about 2 years of Carle for 1 year of Iginla ? Their cap hits are about the same but Iginla actually produces. He is 38 but probably would waive for a last chance of a cup. It's a stop gap but our problem is we can't sign anyone long term because the next summer could be cap hell. I doubt if Colorado would go for it, but they do need D. Iginla would really help our bottom 6. He's played 82 games the last 3 years. Had 22 & 25 last year. It would be a way of not having dead money with Carle's contract and buying time until some of our young forwards are ready.

Colorado wouldn't do it without a large +. Iginla is also a terrible fit for us as he's lost a considerable step and would slow down the offense we like to run. Him having one year is nice and he can score on the PP but neither team does this deal. With Beauchemin, Bigras and Zadorov they don't need Carle.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Got to assume by then we trade Killorn for a pick and move flipper out this summer! Garrison and bishop are going to need to move out for sure to sign drouin, hedman, Johnson and palat by then! Hell we might have to also buy out Callahan

If we don't trade Killorn this offseason we aren't trading him next. Filpulla and Garrison are the most logical choices to go and will be shopped heavily the next year. We also need to sign Koekkoek, Vasilevskiy and Sustr. Our contract structure is a year off, Carle, Garrison and Filppula come off after the 17-18 season when we needed them the 16-17 so we could use that 15mil and be set.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we don't trade Killorn this offseason we aren't trading him next. Filpulla and Garrison are the most logical choices to go and will be shopped heavily the next year. We also need to sign Koekkoek, Vasilevskiy and Sustr. Our contract structure is a year off, Carle, Garrison and Filppula come off after the 17-18 season when we needed them the 16-17 so we could use that 15mil and be set.
No you keep Killorn for one
More year if you can for depth! Moving Killorn will be no issue in the summer of 2017! Killorn is only going to
Get a
Two or 3 year deal for under 4 per
Year anyway. So there will be plenty of
Teams who want him next offseason. Looking at it I think the highest we can really go with Stamkos is 9.1 per year and really that red lining for us to our future cap issues

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Carle
Condra
Garrison
Filppula
Bishop

All of those guys will likely be elsewhere by the '17-'18 season, plus there's Boyle coming off the books next year iirc. There should be a pretty decent amount of cap space to work with and the only one that will be difficult to move is Carle. This summer will be the tough one...

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Carle
Condra
Garrison
Filppula
Bishop

All of those guys will likely be elsewhere by the '17-'18 season, plus there's Boyle coming off the books next year iirc. There should be a pretty decent amount of cap space to work with and the only one that will be difficult to move is Carle. This summer will be the tough one...

id want to go with boyle another three year deal hes steady proved his value for sure in playoffs if could line him with the right tandem hed have a great year imho

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
id want to go with boyle another three year deal hes steady proved his value for sure in playoffs if could line him with the right tandem hed have a great year imho

Yeah I don't see Boyle leaving for quite a bit. He's moved down here, his family likes it here as well as him and his role is pivotal for this team. I'm sure they'd offer him a contract at the end of this one. Great 4th liner.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yeah, unless Boyle declines before his contract is up I'd keep him around. One of the only grit players on the team and probably the only one with size who actually uses that size effectively in a physical sense.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Carle
Condra
Garrison
Filppula
Bishop

You still have to find a trade partner for Filppula and Garrison. It could turn into a Patrick Shard situation where we have to take cap back and lesser assets as nobody will want to do us any favors. It's going to be hard to just make all these players go away.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
You still have to find a trade partner for Filppula and Garrison. It could turn into a Patrick Shard situation where we have to take cap back and lesser assets as nobody will want to do us any favors. It's going to be hard to just make all these players go away.

hose we are talking stevie f n yzerman:)

i hear you though why is nice we got two years to make things work lol

gonna get ugly and not talking about mugs in worlds lol

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Well yes for Condra, Carle and Flip (somewhat). Garrison and Bishop either ride out their contracts here or they have many teams willing to trade for them. Carle will be gone this summer regardless of a trade partner. Condra is like the most neutralized "depth" you can have. Shame we pay him more than $1 but it is what it is. He's either traded this year or rides out his contract. Flip is the one that we'd have to find a trade partner for. There's plenty of teams that would be interested but I imagine we are retaining something.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, unless Boyle declines before his contract is up I'd keep him around. One of the only grit players on the team and probably the only one with size who actually uses that size effectively in a physical sense.

I give up.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Well yes for Condra, Carle and Flip (somewhat). Garrison and Bishop either ride out their contracts here or they have many teams willing to trade for them. Carle will be gone this summer regardless of a trade partner. Condra is like the most neutralized "depth" you can have. Shame we pay him more than $1 but it is what it is. He's either traded this year or rides out his contract. Flip is the one that we'd have to find a trade partner for. There's plenty of teams that would be interested but I imagine we are retaining something.

condra is pretty easy you bury him 900k get back of his 1.25 million is a decent chance someone grabs him off waivers

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
We took back Gagner who we had to retain on for 2 years at 1.6. He didn't make the cap hit disappear.

ya i never got that he had to make moves fast though and were not ideal imho cause he targeted additions

i think we should have kept gagner myself put him on a line with stamkos and sell him later

but we were capped out i guess he only gets 4.8 is worse contracts that have been moved without retention

i dont think hes a good center but is close to a 0.5 guy with right situation

hes matched up well with some centers in past hanzal etc..

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
condra is pretty easy you bury him 900k get back of his 1.25 million is a decent chance someone grabs him off waivers
You're right, forgot about waivers too. I can see our late pick and Condra moving for somebody else's late pick too, I've been thinking that might be an option at the draft.
You probably should. You even bolded "one of." :help:
Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad