Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Olofsson played 4 years in Sweden
Last year in the A mostly except for an end of year call up.

Is this all that different from a player doing 2 years CHL, 3 yr ELC mainly in A or ...4 yr college player then 1 year in AHL?

What is the number of games played that if you exceed make you inelible for this year?

He's probably referring to age only as opposed to games...
Probably referring to Olofsson being a 2014 draft pick in competition for a trophy vs 2017/2018/2019 picks.

Rules are rules tho.

Age.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think going straight from the frozen four to the NHL playoffs was good for Makar. It’s like he didn’t have any time to think about how big the moment was. He’s gripping his stick a little to tightly so far this year. I think he’ll settle in. In the meantime, his picked up some points. Even if he hasn’t looked amazing doing it, he doesn’t have to give those back. As far as bad starts go, it’s been among the best.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
People really should temper expectations on J. Hughes and Kakko. I said before the season started I expected them both to be in the 45-55pt range. They play on bad teams and are teenagers.

The last three winners have all had quite impressive Calder seasons with Matthews scoring 40G, Barzal breaking 80pts, and Pettersson leading his team in scoring despite missing 11 games. I don't believe that that's the new normal.

Reactions: I am not exposed

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Olofsson has cooled down. IMO this is Makar's to lose mainly because of how many goals the Avalanche are going to score all season. He could easily rival Dahlin's 44 and end up in the 40-50 range this season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Tbh none of the rookies have really looked that amazing too me. Makar has been meh(Although he had a real strong game today) as well but he's going to get a lot of opportunities playing PP minutes with possibly the best offense in the league.

It'll be a close race but I dont think it'll be a particularly high end race. Even the guys towards the top right now like Makar/Oloffson/Hughes have all had a fair share of shaky not great moments.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Tbh none of the rookies have really looked that amazing too me. Makar has been meh(Although he had a real strong game today) as well but he's going to get a lot of opportunities playing PP minutes with possibly the best offense in the league.

It'll be a close race but I dont think it'll be a particularly high end race. Even the guys towards the top right now like Makar/Oloffson/Hughes have all had a fair share of shaky not great moments.

I respect your opinion, but other than getting pushed aside by Leon drai,

Quinn Hughes has basically been our best defenceman and a top three star in like every game lol
I’m honestly having a hard time remembering a bad shift, let alone a bad game

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009

Quinn Hughes has basically been our best defenceman and a top three star in like every game lol
The only bad shift I remember so far is against Draisaitl where he got man-handled, but that's Draisaitl.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well of course you're not going to remember the bad moments.

I didn't even watch the Edmonton/Vancouver game or highlights so I hadn't seen the Drai play.

I did watch the Vancouver/New Jersey game and though Hughes was a wreck in that one. Multiple bad giveaways in his zone and some poor reads trying to move the puck up the ice.

He's obviously got some skill with the puck as evidenced by his play tonight, but like Makar I think he still has a long ways to go with his decision making in his own zone still. Even tonight he's made a couple of reads that he didn't get burned on but certainly could have.

And Oloffson reminds me a lot of Laine in his rookie campaign. Generating a tonne on the PP but pretty invisible at even strength. Though Oloffson certainly appears more engaged defensively and is giving an effort compared to what Laine used to be like but its not really clicking yet.

To me the Calder winner should end up being whichever one can adjust to the issues keeping them from looking truly fantastic right now. With Oloffson it's gonna be to start having a consistent positive impact at even strength. For Hughes and Makar its gonna be about adjusting to the NHL game and having to make the decisions on the defensive side of the game quicker and smarter, particularly when they dont have the puck with time and space to make a play.

Jack Hughes has put together 4 very good games in a row now, and tonight could be the big breakout game he needed to really get going this year. I've liked how his game has turned around quickly here and if I were to guess right now, I actually think he ends up running away with it in the next few months.

EDIT: If I were to bet on it right now. I think when all is said and done we end up with Jack Hughes winning in a landslide. Quinn Hughes in 2nd and my darkhorse in the race, Martin Necas getting the final nomination. with Oloffson and Makar rounding out the Top 5. I just love the situation Necas is in and I think he works his way up the Canes depth chart quickly, finishing the season with ~55 points.

With such value on points for the Calder I just think Makar will fade, falling victim to the Avs depth on Defense a little bit. And Oloffson will slow down a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: xigon

Love

Feb 29, 2012
And Ekblad would have won over Klingberg.... Oh, wait..

Klingberg only played 65 games. We’ve seen over and over that Calder voters punish players for not playing a full season. McDavid is the perfect example.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Hughes vs Hughes imo... has there ever been a calder winner where his brother was also nominated?

Reactions: xigon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad