Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Well of course you're not going to remember the bad moments.

I didn't even watch the Edmonton/Vancouver game or highlights so I hadn't seen the Drai play.

I did watch the Vancouver/New Jersey game and though Hughes was a wreck in that one. Multiple bad giveaways in his zone and some poor reads trying to move the puck up the ice.

He's obviously got some skill with the puck as evidenced by his play tonight, but like Makar I think he still has a long ways to go with his decision making in his own zone still. Even tonight he's made a couple of reads that he didn't get burned on but certainly could have.

And Oloffson reminds me a lot of Laine in his rookie campaign. Generating a tonne on the PP but pretty invisible at even strength. Though Oloffson certainly appears more engaged defensively and is giving an effort compared to what Laine used to be like but its not really clicking yet.

To me the Calder winner should end up being whichever one can adjust to the issues keeping them from looking truly fantastic right now. With Oloffson it's gonna be to start having a consistent positive impact at even strength. For Hughes and Makar its gonna be about adjusting to the NHL game and having to make the decisions on the defensive side of the game quicker and smarter, particularly when they dont have the puck with time and space to make a play.

Jack Hughes has put together 4 very good games in a row now, and tonight could be the big breakout game he needed to really get going this year. I've liked how his game has turned around quickly here and if I were to guess right now, I actually think he ends up running away with it in the next few months.

EDIT: If I were to bet on it right now. I think when all is said and done we end up with Jack Hughes winning in a landslide. Quinn Hughes in 2nd and my darkhorse in the race, Martin Necas getting the final nomination. with Oloffson and Makar rounding out the Top 5. I just love the situation Necas is in and I think he works his way up the Canes depth chart quickly, finishing the season with ~55 points.

With such value on points for the Calder I just think Makar will fade, falling victim to the Avs depth on Defense a little bit. And Oloffson will slow down a little.

So you watched 1 game of Hughes & decided he's had alot of shaky moments??

Re-bolded: This has actually been the most impressive thing about Hughes, given his size & the obvious concerns there (that & his shot being better than expected). He plays quick & smart. I feel like he's already made this adjustment at the NHL level, as evidenced by his ice time. His intelligence allows him to overcome his size & be effective defensively.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
QH has definitely looked above average defensively, I feel like it's hard to say otherwise if you're actually watching the games. He already looked fantastic in terms of offensive creativity last season, but the biggest surprise this season has been how good he is at angling off people on D and using his stick and positioning to play effective D

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So the good bet is to say Hughes and not say the 1st name.

Cholowski may get some attention, he is better than Fabbro and Canadian. The Wings have stumbled so he may not get the exposure.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Given the past few winners have had a lot of success (and hype) I think it'll be harder for the forwards to win this year because, so far at least, they probably won't measure up to their predecessors. If that's the case, I'd say a dman wins it this year; likely whichever of Makar or Hughes ends up adapting better (particularly if one of them can get the all-important hype train going early).

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Makar seems to be playing better lately. Perhaps Avalanche fans can shine in on that?

He probably had his best game today.

Hopefully this becomes the norm from here on out. Played with a lot more confidence and probably starting to figure out what works and what doesn’t.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Olofsson slowed down

Teams have prioritized shutting down that cross seam pass and shot, can't say I blame 'em. He's looking better at even strength, but it's a strong rookie class so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not really in the conversation come season's end.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I think Quinn Hughes, Cale Makar and Jack Hughes will be the top 3 at the end of the year, with Cale Makar eeking the win out over Jack, with Quinn coming third in voting.

Reactions: Makar27

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
My guess is that Makar scores 57 pts, 10 more than Quinn but Quinn wins it as he's seen as much more effective in his own zone.
Advanced stats will continue to heavily favor Quinn which will further support him as the winner
Makar 2nd.
J. hughes 3rd with 59 points, the bulk of which are on the PP
Baer 4th

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
My guess is that Makar scores 57 pts, 10 more than Quinn but Quinn wins it as he's seen as much more effective in his own zone.
Advanced stats will continue to heavily favor Quinn which will further support him as the winner
Makar 2nd.
Baer 4th
That would be disappointing considering he's already ahead by 3* although he's only had 2 games he played with confidence. Should be closer to 20 if both stay healthy.
*Hughes has played one less game, of course

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar 2nd.
Baer 4th
Literally no one other than Canucks fans think Hughes is better than Makar in his own zone. Not that it would matter, if Makar outscores Hughes by 10 points he'd win the Calder by a landslide.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Makar seems to be playing better lately. Perhaps Avalanche fans can shine in on that?

Sick.
That's what has me hyped about Hughes and Makar... worth the price of admission by themselves...

This will be an awesome watch for the next 70 gms to see which one takes the Calder.

I just wish people would take the angle of pumping up their guy instead trying to crap on the other guy...

If your guy is good enough, his play and numbers and clips like this one will speak for themselves. If you need to resort to hacking away at the competition... you are losing.

Keep posting good shit about your boys... refrain from insecurity based crap about others and disguising it as 'discussion'.

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
Ville Hienola has 5 pts in 8 games this year so far, I wouldn't sleep on him if the jets decide to burn a year of his ELC

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Farabee has been amazing so far. I think he should be in the conversation by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->