Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Makar looks pretty damn solid. I find it funny how every Oilers fan mentioned Bear and nobody else knows who he is. So, as an Oilers fan, I'm also going to say Bear should be in the conversation. Won't win it, but he's definitely looking like one of the best rookies this year.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I will guess one of the Hughes for 500

images

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ville Hienola has 5 pts in 8 games this year so far, I wouldn't sleep on him if the jets decide to burn a year of his ELC

They probably won't. You'd think they would have rewarded him with the heritage classic for being able to make the team as an 18 year old if they were going to keep him up, but they didn't. I imagine he'll get one more home game and then be sent to the AHL.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
If McDavid was actually good and played defense his name would be Quinn....

Prob a toss up between him and the other guy with the ceiling of Ghost.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Literally no one other than Canucks fans think Hughes is better than Makar in his own zone. Not that it would matter, if Makar outscores Hughes by 10 points he'd win the Calder by a landslide.
Literally no one? Analytics will tell you a different story so far into their young seasons. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though, Makar will still probably win the Calder.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Literally no one? Analytics will tell you a different story so far into their young seasons. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it though, Makar will still probably win the Calder.

From what I’m seeing in the stats, ~10 games in, Hughes has been a bit better in shot suppression, but Makar has been better in shot generation. The difference in shot generation is greater than suppression, so Makar ends up better off in most of the ratios (xGF, HDCF%, SCF%, etc.).

With both guys getting similar deployment (neither are anywhere close to the shutdown pairing), I expect it to come down to points.

Reactions: John Johnson

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Don’t be upset your Nico and second Hughes bro are second fiddle to the Canucks duo. Your players are still good players, just a step behind, that’s all
All that amazing generational talent and you still lost to our trash heap of a team we have here in NJ. Thanks to J Hughes no less.

Reactions: DVision44 and xigon

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I'm happy the Canucks have drafted well because they haven't intentionally tanked and they haven't had lottery luck either. Good for them man, they deserve it. I'm sure Makar vs. Hughes will be a fun storyline for a while going forward.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Makar won't lose the award and I don't care that I am bias. He will mirror the season of the Avalanche regardless of their success in winning the cup.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Klingberg only played 65 games. We’ve seen over and over that Calder voters punish players for not playing a full season. McDavid is the perfect example.
That's nonsense. If anything it makes Klingberg's rookie season all that more impressive.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makar looks pretty damn solid. I find it funny how every Oilers fan mentioned Bear and nobody else knows who he is. So, as an Oilers fan, I'm also going to say Bear should be in the conversation. Won't win it, but he's definitely looking like one of the best rookies this year.
Nobody talks about Bear because he's not even in the top 5 conversation for the Calder right now and it's arguable he's even in the top 10 TBH.
NHL.com - Stats

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Leafs homer gonna homer but Mikheyev has a real shot at a top 3 finish in the Calder race. He's currently tied for the rookie lead in points and his play away from the puck has been almost as impressive. He's doing all of this without any powerplay time, which is where Olofsson and Makar have found the majority of their offense. If he finds his way onto the powerplay or the Matthews line then I expect his potential production increases to an even greater level, but he is riding an unsustainable PDO right now so I doubt he stays close to a point-per-game all season.

If Jack Hughes finds his scoring touch halfway through the season though then it might be his race to lose since he seems to be the media darling of this year's rookie crop.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Nobody talks about Bear because he's not even in the top 5 conversation for the Calder right now and it's arguable he's even in the top 10 TBH.
NHL.com - Stats

It's not all about points. He's playing on the first pairing of a team with a notoriously weak defence, and that team is near the top of the league right now. Bear leads all rookies in ice time this year as well.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It's not all about points. He's playing on the first pairing of a team with a notoriously weak defence, and that team is near the top of the league right now. Bear leads all rookies in ice time this year as well.
Sadly when talking about the Calder, it's all about points :( But as an aboriginal that's a great story hearing Bear might be in the talking.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
Imagine being as bitter as most Devils fans in this thread? This is a thread to talk about the Calder trophy, instead of talking about how good their rookies are, imagine coming to bash other rookies (who have been far more Impressive as their own).

Reactions: eviohh26

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Imagine being as bitter as most Devils fans in this thread? This is a thread to talk about the Calder trophy, instead of talking about how good their rookies are, imagine coming to bash other rookies (who have been far more Impressive as their own).
I know, right?

Canucks fans are in the Calder threads because we've had Calder challengers 3 years in a row. We're not going to stay out of the threads just because some people are still sensitive about the 2017 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->