Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I’m sure you thought the same thing about Mackinnon in his sophomore season...
Nope I had thoughts that he could be a bust. Hell even MacKinnon himself thought he could be a bust but that's irrelevant right now.

Are you trying to use the Leafs fan argument? Matthews had the better first few seasons so he must develop to be the better player? Turn off the Playstation and realize player development isn't linear, players don't just magically improve the way MacKinnon did, he's an outlier not the norm.

Reactions: missionAvs

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Nope I had thoughts that he could be a bust. Hell even MacKinnon himself thought he could be a bust but that's irrelevant right now.

Are you trying to use the Leafs fan argument? Matthews had the better first few seasons so he must develop to be the better player? Turn off the Playstation and realize player development isn't linear, players don't just magically improve the way MacKinnon did, he's an outlier not the norm.
How did you miss his point by this much lol

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
What exactly is his point? Pettersson isn't a franchise player.
His point was that its EPs second season and you're already writing him off as not being franchise center, whereas you probably thought the same thing about MacKinnon during his first few years in the league. Now MacKinnon is a top 3 player.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
What exactly is his point? Pettersson isn't a franchise player.
I think you missed the point and forget your audience as well. Remember Canucks were treated to the Sedins who exploded in a nonlinear fashion. That said, most evidence on its face presents Pettersson as a franchise player. To say otherwise is to ignore history and context.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I don't think Pettersson is a franchise centre. He puts up points but doesn't really take over a game like MacKinnon/McDavid can, maybe my definition of a franchise player is different from yours? If Pettersson is franchise tier then what's MacKinnon? Generational? They certainly aren't they same tier.

So if Makar is a franchise defenseman then what does that make guys like Josi. Carlson and Pietrangelo?

Let's not forget that Makar and Pettersson are the same age.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
His point was that its EPs second season and you're already writing him off as not being franchise center, whereas you probably thought the same thing about MacKinnon during his first few years in the league. Now MacKinnon is a top 3 player.
I didn't write him off. I didn't call MacKinnon a franchise player back then and I'm not going to call Pettersson one right now. I think calling Pettersson a franchise centre is the same as calling Makar a franchise Defenseman right now. Neither of them are there yet.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
So if Makar is a franchise defenseman then what does that make guys like Josi. Carlson and Pietrangelo?

Let's not forget that Makar and Pettersson are the same age.
Makar isn't a franchise defenseman yet, not that I'd consider those you listed as a franchise defenseman either.

You have to admit Makar's rookie season has been as impressive if not moreso than Petterson's rookie year. If you consider Pettersson a franchise C then Makar is a franchise D as well.

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Is someone actually saying that?

lol Byram was 100% right pick at the time.

Though i will say this, ive seen lots of Vancouver Giants game this year and Bryam has not looked himself.

He was an absoloute force last year on both ends of the ice. Beast!

This year something is off, either he is injured or he has been told to pull the reigns a little and work on the safer side of hockey defencing. He has looked less dynamic and lost.

Still a fanastic propect, especially if Avs are getting the Byram of 2019
That particular poster has alot of takes. It's way too early like you said. Well find out soon enough but I think he's somewhat disappointed he got sent back.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Rasmus Dahlin had 9 goals in 82 games as a rookie. Makar has 11 in half those games. He will win the Calder barring injury

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
TSN ranks Makar as the 29th best player in the league so far this season. Can't seem to find Hughes on the list.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
How are you guys sleeping at night with Hughes living rent free in your heads? Hell a couple weeks ago there was an avs fan on the Canucks board starting polls about Hughes V Makar. Stand back from the ledge. Your guy is good. Our guy is good. Case closed.

You sound very insecure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad