Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No idea why Nucks fan get so offended when people say Hughes isn't Makar tier. No one is sayin he's a bad player, he's just not as good as Makar.

Hughes is a future #1 but Makar looks like he's winning multiple Norris in his career. Hell if Makar didn't miss those games he might've gotten a nomination this year.

Reactions: Dominance and xigon

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Looking forward to watching Hughes and Makar show off their skills at the All- Star Game. It will be a treat for the rest of the world to see these young guns on the ice with most the of the best players in the world.

Reactions: missionAvs

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Looking forward to watching Hughes and Makar show off their skills at the All- Star Game. It will be a treat for the rest of the world to see these young guns on the ice with most the of the best players in the world.
Lol are we really using the allstar game as an argument? Not to mention Hughes was voted in by a popularity contest.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Bertuzzi is going to tear it up

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
No idea why Nucks fan get so offended when people say Hughes isn't Makar tier. No one is sayin he's a bad player, he's just not as good as Makar.

Hughes is a future #1 but Makar looks like he's winning multiple Norris in his career. Hell if Makar didn't miss those games he might've gotten a nomination this year.

[MOD]

I'm quite honestly looking forward to the Calder Race being over as it will finally put an end of Makar vs Hughes conversations since they arent even in the same draft class or age.

Would be amazing though to see a Van vs Col WCF and have them go head to head.

From Canucks management and most fans pov, we know the talent level of Makar, our team had him ranked #1 overall in that draft year even ahead of Ep40.

But from Hughes standpoint, ive been pleasantly surprised at where his game is at for a 20 year old. I knew he would be great, i just didnt know he would be this great thing young. I also did not think he could be this effective in the D-zone

I cant wait to see what he does in the off-season after he gets stronger and physically more mature. Makar has set the bar high but i think Hughes is up for the challenge next year in doing what Makar did in his 21 yr old season.

Last edited by a moderator:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tike Myson

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Kubalik has taken off recently has rised close to the top on my papers.

Still cant deny the fact that these two Dmen are just notch or even two ahead of the rest atm. I will be somewhat surprised if neither of them are top-2 at the end of the season.

If it was given here right now, my vote would be Makar just any day.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Kubalik has taken off recently has rised close to the top on my papers.

Still cant deny the fact that these two Dmen are just notch or even two ahead of the rest atm. I will be somewhat surprised if neither of them are top-2 at the end of the season.

If it was given here right now, my vote would be Makar just any day.
Sorry, but if you're close to being able to get the senior citizen discount at the zoo you shouldn't be eligible for the Calder.

Baby faces only.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Good player would love him on my tram..

seriously tho is your MO just to put down any non Avs player? what do you get out of that?
I like Hughes a lot. I personally don’t really even care about this argument, because I don’t believe there is an argument to even be made.

congrats on grabbing Hughes, he should be a perennial 60+ point Dman

Reactions: flying v 604

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Lol are we really using the allstar game as an argument? Not to mention Hughes was voted in by a popularity contest.
Bertuzzi is going to tear it up
Ahahaha he was trying to be genuine about the all star game and didn't realize Makar wasn't in it then an all of a sudden poor me fest. Wow you guys get triggered easy.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Ahahaha he was trying to be genuine about the all star game and didn't realize Makar wasn't in it then an all of a sudden poor me fest. Wow you guys get triggered easy.

INSECURE
N
S
E
C
U
R
E

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I like Hughes a lot. I personally don’t really even care about this argument, because I don’t believe there is an argument to even be made.

congrats on grabbing Hughes, he should be a perennial 60+ point Dman

Theres no argument that Hughes is first in the Calder race (eff the stupid Calder anyways). But the argument about him being same tier is easily there.
Hes a year younger, hes already his team's number 1 d man just like Makar. Really the only separation is Makars goal scoring which is obviously insane. Hughes isn't a sniper though. He plays a possession game where he racks up tons of assists. His defensive game has been top tier, and his breakouts are fairly mind blowing. No reason to suggest he isn't Norris potential.

I just think it's funny. It's not enough to have Makar, or the best young core in the league, or the best cap situation...but you guys cant seem to handle ANY Hughes talk in the top rookies discussion without getting upset, even though its perfectly warranted.

Almost zero Canucks fans have said Hughes is better, just same tier! No need to get greedy, Avs fans. You guys are way too lucky with your current team to be so defensive.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Uhhhhh. No... Based on what? Points? He's not the top minute man on his own team. He doesn't even play as much as Quinn Hughes.

Every Norris Trophy winner since post lockout shortened year has been the minute leader on their team, most of which were 24+ mins average. He wouldn't even be top 5 TBH. Carlson, Pietrangelo, Josi, Hedman & Hamilton.

Makar's dynamic offensive ability & point totals are impressive, but that's not everything. He's only a rookie, he'll get there but he's not Norris level yet.

Reactions: flying v 604
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad