Official Bernier/Reimer Thread 1.0 - Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Bernier is the better goalie, but that doesn't mean Reimer isn't any good.

My biggest issue with Reimer is how he looks like he's having a seizure nearly everytime there's a shot on net, the guy has to calm down in there. It doesn't invoke confidence by any means
... I don't know who the better goalie is and I'm not sure we'd even know if we kept both for years. Both are looking great so far (Reimer for over two years now) and contrary to popular opinion I couldn't care less about the styles of both goalies. I care about results. I hope Nonis doesn't rush to trade one and hopefully both will continue to play well and we can keep both if the cap goes up enough over the next few years.If one wants out because he wants more playing time then that's a different story. You have no choice but to move one at that point.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
... I don't know who the better goalie is and I'm not sure we'd even know if we kept both for years. Both are looking great so far (Reimer for over two years now) and contrary to popular opinion I couldn't care less about the styles of both goalies. I care about results. I hope Nonis doesn't rush to trade one and hopefully both will continue to play well and we can keep both if the cap goes up enough over the next few years.If one wants out because he wants more playing time then that's a different story. You have no choice but to move one at that point.

It's my opinion from what I've seen so far that Bernier has more innate talent and therefore is the better goalie.

But whatever, I'll just sit on the fence with everyone else. We will never , ever know which goalie is better. It comes down to which one has the better mask art.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Technically, Bernier is the better goalie. His rebound control is fantastic and he is good at and smart with puck management. He seems like the kind of guy that gets into a focused state of mind and blocks out all irrelevant emotions and thoughts.

Reimer is a battler. He's proven that by recovering from his injuries as well as he has, bouncing back from the yo-yo between starting and backing up, then showed what kind of person he is by making it a hard decision as to who will get the job in Toronto despite the team obviously bringing someone in to replace him. I have much admiration and respect for him. Also a damn good goalie, although nervewrecking.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Not surprisingly, Bernier's save percentage has taken a considerable jump since playing behind Toronto's system. Both will have somewhat inflated numbers with the amount of shots they're facing.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Reims should start Saturday since he just came off a shut out, Bernier played great too but go with the guy who just came off a 43 save shut out win

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not surprisingly, Bernier's save percentage has taken a considerable jump since playing behind Toronto's system. Both will have somewhat inflated numbers with the amount of shots they're facing.

I didn't know getting hemmed in your zone for mins at a time was a system , is being unable to maintain possession in the opposing zone part of our system as well ?

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
I didn't know getting hemmed in your zone for mins at a time was a system , is being unable to maintain possession in the opposing zone part of our system as well ?

Uh, what kind of reply are you looking for here? The Leafs play in a manner that concedes a lot of shots against. If you're pissy about it write a letter to Randy Carlyle, because I certainly don't have to ****ing answer for it.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Do you think he looked great last night?

Realistically... it doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you do it, what matters is the final score.

When a goalie gets a shutout, he gets the benefit of the doubt for the next game. Obviously, circumstances dictate (43 saves and a game 20 hours after the last) that you go to the other guy, but Reimer deserves the start in Vancouver.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Reimer should definitely get the start against the Nucks.

When Bernier came out the gates hot we kept rolling with him and Reims rode the bench, now it's Reimer's turn to go out and show he can keep it up and play consistently well. Vancouver is also a big test for him. If he stands on his head, great, keep it going. If he ***** the bed, then it's time to go back to Berny for a game or two again.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Uh, what kind of reply are you looking for here? The Leafs play in a manner that concedes a lot of shots against. If you're pissy about it write a letter to Randy Carlyle, because I certainly don't have to ****ing answer for it.

I'm looking for you to explain this so called system that we're employing . I don't mean to single you out but I keep hearing how we're playing a system and all I see is us getting outworked and not being able to get out of our zone as well as us not being able to maintain possession in the offensive end .

I'll take the wins and it's much better to be outplayed and win than to dominate and lose but saying this is a system is absurd .

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm looking for you to explain this so called system that we're employing . I don't mean to single you out but I keep hearing how we're playing a system and all I see is us getting outworked and not being able to get out of our zone as well as us not being able to maintain possession in the offensive end .

I'll take the wins and it's much better to be outplayed and win than to dominate and lose but saying this is a system is absurd .

And why exactly would you expect me to do that? In a thread completely non-related, no less. I don't have an answer to your question.

The point was that the Leafs concede a lot of shots that helps both of their save percentages.

Bark up another tree.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And why exactly would you expect me to do that? In a thread completely non-related, no less. I don't have an answer to your question.

The point was that the Leafs concede a lot of shots that helps both of their save percentages.

Bark up another tree.

You won't answer because there isn't an answer but you're right this isn't the thread for it .

You originally said the shots we allow inflated there save % , this is only true if they make the saves .

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Reimer definately deserves the Saturday start.

Bernier was awesome tonight but Reimer has been awesome for 2 games in a row and should have started tonight if it wasn't for it being a back to back.

Reimer has a 113:08 shutout streak going

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
I don't really care who we go with because both keepers are kicking ass. Feels good man.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't really care who we go with because both keepers are kicking ass. Feels good man.

Seriously.

.949SV and .935SV?

If the Leafs could just start possessing the puck a little more and tighten up on D...we're a pretty tough team to beat.

Talent is there, effort is sometimes inconsistent.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Reimer definately deserves the Saturday start.

Bernier was awesome tonight but Reimer has been awesome for 2 games in a row and should have started tonight if it wasn't for it being a back to back.

Reimer has a 113:08 shutout streak going

It should be Reimer. 1 goal against in his last 2 games. Then with back to backs next Friday and Saturday we split the starts again.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I don't get why people keep saying Bernier is the better goalie because he controls more rebounds and "looks" better. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter about the goalie style as long as you're stopping the puck and well, Reimer does it just as good as him. Reimer has a career .917 save % compared to .916 from Bernier. Tons of successful goalies in the NHL have weird unorthodox style that has worked (not that Reimer's is that unorthodox, its just butterfly).

At this point, I wouldn't say either is better over the other but both are excellent.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
If Riemer had started the Calgary game, we would have allowed over 50 shots and lost 5-3. Fact. Really hope Riemer gets the start against Vancouver because I know he will get slaughtered for sure and will probably end this debate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad