Official Bernier/Reimer Thread 1.0 - Optimus Reim vs Mega Jon

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
If Riemer had started the Calgary game, we would have allowed over 50 shots and lost 5-3. Fact. Really hope Riemer gets the start against Vancouver because I know he will get slaughtered for sure and will probably end this debate.

You should look up the definition of a fact.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
If Riemer had started the Calgary game, we would have allowed over 50 shots and lost 5-3. Fact. Really hope Riemer gets the start against Vancouver because I know he will get slaughtered for sure and will probably end this debate.

No it's not and learn to spell Reimer correctly

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Both goalies have been playing incredibly well. Long term I do feel that Bernier will prove to be the better goalie, but we've got two solid starters, nothing wrong with that! I don't really care who Carlyle starts, because they both give us a good chance to win.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I don't care if his logic is right or wrong. But one thing is for sure: He doesn't want the Leafs to win on Saturday.

P.S.: You also need to learn what 'fact' means. You don't know the meaning of fact. Now that is a fact. :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
I don't care if his logic is right or wrong. But one thing is for sure: He doesn't want the Leafs to win on Saturday.

P.S.: You also need to learn what 'fact' means. You don't know the meaning of fact. Now that is a fact. :naughty:

Reimer getting slaughtered as in: we win the game 6-5 in a shoot-out. Reimer fanboys will probably still hug his nuts saying how he still got us a win and is 5-0, instead of looking at relevant stats that determine a superior goaltender.

Last edited by a moderator:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
In keeping with the :sarcasm:

Calgary is a rebuilding team who everyone is expecting to pick in the top 5, while the Oilers are rebuilt and just fine tuning the line-up.

The Flames team we faced tonight would have slaughtered the Oilers we faced last night.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Don't care who they put in, they're both capable of stealing games.

Gotta' laugh at some of the non-Leaf fans who still call Reimer a "terrible" goalie.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Don't care who they put in, they're both capable of stealing games.

Gotta' laugh at some of the non-Leaf fans who still call Reimer a "terrible" goalie.

I'm very happy with both of them.
Reimer has the better stats and is unbeaten.

I'm sure JB will fight back hard.
Starts against the Knuckleheads.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Reimer getting slaughtered as in: we win the game 6-5 in a shoot-out. Reimer fanboys will probably still hug his nuts saying how he still got us a win and is 5-0, instead of looking at relevant stats that determine a superior goaltender.

Relevant: .949SV% 1.99GAA vs .933SV% 2.31GAA

Fanboy harder sir. I know you can.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Relevant: .949SV% 1.99GAA vs .933SV% 2.31GAA

Fanboy harder sir. I know you can.

Only difference is that Bernier is elite enough to actually maintain around that SV% and even improve on the GAA numbers. Please come back to this thread after ~5 more Reimer starts and post the numbers again.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Only difference is that Bernier is elite enough to actually maintain around that SV% and even improve on the GAA numbers. Please come back to this thread after ~5 more Reimer starts and post the numbers again.

You are aware that apart from his injured year, Reimer has been a .920+ goalie every single place he has played professionally, right?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Thats a familiar score. What was the score of the Edmonton game?...the first Edmonton game...:naughty:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You are aware that apart from his injured year, Reimer has been a .920+ goalie every single place he has played professionally, right?

But...but...but dem rebounds. Who cares if he has elite numbers...those rebounds making him the worst goalie in the NHL :sarcasm: :dunce:

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Has anyone noticed that Reimer's glove has improved?

Anyways, this is a ridiculous debate. 2 young goalies with different styles. Bernier seems better technically and handles puck better. Riemer is athletic and gets the job done, and has proven so over a longer period than Bernier. Just relax and enjoy the show.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't get why people keep saying Bernier is the better goalie because he controls more rebounds and "looks" better. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter about the goalie style as long as you're stopping the puck and well, Reimer does it just as good as him. Reimer has a career .917 save % compared to .916 from Bernier. Tons of successful goalies in the NHL have weird unorthodox style that has worked (not that Reimer's is that unorthodox, its just butterfly).

At this point, I wouldn't say either is better over the other but both are excellent.

The "stat guys" would tell you that Reimer's play is likely less sustainable (although he proves those guys wrong most games he plays). Rebound-shots tend have a much higher scoring percentage than initial shots, a goalie who's giving up a ton of rebounds will likely allow more goals (although again, Reimer's been pretty good at stopping the rebounds).

Generally, in my view, the overall success of team defence is measured in GAA, and overall success of a goalie can be measured more by save percentage, but when you look at a guy like Reimer, you have to take the save percentage into the context of him being a goalie that tends to promote shots against him. You'd have to ask yourself, if Reimer controlled the puck (both rebounds and handling) like Bernier, would he still have a .945 sv%?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

You're correct in suggesting that Reimer's .945 sv% may be unsustainable, since it's about 20 points higher than he's ever been in the NHL.

However, doing so, would require you to suggest that Bernier's .933 is almost as unsustainable, because it's about 10 points higher than he's ever been.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc

WTF is wrong with you? I'm happy having 2 goalies who are capable of winning games for us. The tandem works just fine and it seems like everybody's happy. Plus, if they both perform like #1s, that puts us in a position to deal one down the road for another asset.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone noticed that Reimer's glove has improved?

Anyways, this is a ridiculous debate. 2 young goalies with different styles. Bernier seems better technically and handles puck better. Riemer is athletic and gets the job done, and has proven so over a longer period than Bernier. Just relax and enjoy the show.

Very true.

In the end both our goalies right now are top 7 in Save Percentage in the entire NHL, and top 13 in Goals Against in the entire NHL. Both are playing very well.

Bernier has played 10 games, and has 2 iffy games.
Reimer has played 5 games, and has 1 iffy game.

This battle is going to be going for a while yet, but it should be clear at this point, whoever wins this thing is going to have to be playing exceptional hockey, and that does nothing but help the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad