(Official) Around the NHL 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Personally, I believe an individual should deal with the pain. I guess I'm just old school like that.
Old school like when Cocaine and Heroin were common pain killers?

bayer1901.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Each team would get 16.667 from the expansion fee. Really enticing for the league.
I expect we see 2 expansion teams and 2 teams relocated.

1. Expansion to Las Vegas
2. Expansion to Quebec City
3. Arizona relocation to Kansas City/Portland/Milwaukee
4. Carolina relocation to Houston/Seattle

When Arizona moves, I expect that the ownership group will remain in place so I think they will go to a city without an ownership group in place. When the 'Canes move (which I expect to happen first) they will likely be sold at the same time and in Seattle there are definitely interested parties and in Houston I think you could get the owner of the Rockets on board as he has made attempts in the past.

Assuming expansion is 500 million and relocation is 60, that 1.12 billion dollars to spread around the league and that is assuming on the low end. the quote about expansion fees is that it would start with a 5, so realistically it could be 550 or 575 million and I could see relocation fees being bumped up to 75-100 million.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Coyotes will not be moving to Vegas, they want that expansion money. Expansion will net the NHL 500+ Million in expansion fees, when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg the league only got $60 million. Houston, Portland or Kansas City are better bets for relocation destinations.

Of course the league doesn't want to move them there. Sometimes it isn't a matter of want though, they may be forced to find them a new home soon. You can bet that the league (much like any huge organization/corporation) has already come up with plans b-z regarding the situation in Glendale.

Do I think its likely to happen? No not really. Do I think its been discussed internally by the league? Absolutely.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Of course the league doesn't want to move them there. Sometimes it isn't a matter of want though, they may be forced to find them a new home soon. You can bet that the league (much like any huge organization/corporation) has already come up with plans b-z regarding the situation in Glendale.

Do I think its likely to happen? No not really. Do I think its been discussed internally by the league? Absolutely.
Kansas City has a rink ready to go with no major tenant. That is where the league will look to an emergency relocation IMO.

The other option I suppose is expansion to Toronto #2 and Quebec City and Vegas being a relocation site.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
It's the best painkiller because it's basically Heroin. This is factual information.

Many people are extremely addicted to Oxy. Some people inject it directly into their bloodstream. You can overdose from it and die. Lots of people have died from ODing to Oxy.

People with Oxy addictions can often get into more serious and dangerous drugs that are also Poppy derivatives. Fenatyl (closely related to Oxy and Heroin) is a major epidemic in Alberta right now.

Personally, I believe an individual should deal with the pain. I guess I'm just old school like that.

Carrying Oxy illegally is not a small mistake. That stuff is an extremely controlled substance for good reason.

Also, Mike Richards has team doctors that would be subscribing him Oxy if he needed it. If they terminated his contract, it would be my belief, that his doctors didn't subscribe him Oxy.

Oh, absolutely. I won't deny its addictive properties or the damage it can do to someone's life.

I'm just saying it's extremely easy to obtain which is why I'd bet on a missed declaration than Richards being a fiend and smuggler. Richards was still a member of the Kings at the time of the alleged border crossing. The fact that he wasn't arrested also tells us something. If it was serious, it would have been in the news an hour after it happened.

It was just enough for the Kings to break it off.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There was some strong interest from Quebec about an expansion and some speculative interest about a second team in the GTA. Unless a falling Canadian dollar puts a damper on that, could be the league puts two expansion teams in Canada and relocates two franchises to Las Vegas and Seattle. Wouldn't make for even conferences though.

Regarding Richards, it's interesting. If he hadn't declined so much and pushed the Kings to buyout his contract, good chance the team would have overlooked this.

Mike Ribeiro, with known legal and addiction issues was bought out. Doubtless the cash strapped Coyotes would have preferred going this route.

Unless the border incident hinders Richards' ability to travel to the States, this really just seems like the Kings throwing a hail mary on his getting out of his contract with the least negative consequences.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There was some strong interest from Quebec about an expansion and some speculative interest about a second team in the GTA. Unless a falling Canadian dollar puts a damper on that, could be the league puts two expansion teams in Canada and relocates two franchises to Las Vegas and Seattle. Wouldn't make for even conferences though.
I think they would put the second Toronto team in the West, limits the head to head matches and would allow fans to cheer for both.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Oh, absolutely. I won't deny its addictive properties or the damage it can do to someone's life.

I'm just saying it's extremely easy to obtain which is why I'd bet on a missed declaration than Richards being a fiend and smuggler. Richards was still a member of the Kings at the time of the alleged border crossing. The fact that he wasn't arrested also tells us something. If it was serious, it would have been in the news an hour after it happened.

It was just enough for the Kings to break it off.

I feel it's strange that they were able to just terminate his contract. Like if this has happened multiple times I would get it.

But isn't there some sort of drug rehabilitation program in the NHL? Oh this guy is a drug addict, let's throw him on the street. Seems pretty unfair.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel it's strange that they were able to just terminate his contract. Like if this has happened multiple times I would get it.

But isn't there some sort of drug rehabilitation program in the NHL? Oh this guy is a drug addict, let's throw him on the street. Seems pretty unfair.
Be careful on your accusations here. There is no evidence that Richards is any form of addict. There is no evidence he will be charged with anything.

If this is a way they can terminate his contract the most plausible scenario is he had prescriptions the team did not know about.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
And as per above, for the sake of this league I really hope there is no expansion coming

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
There's already 30 teams in the league. Honestly, anything more is overkill and seeing as the league pushes so hard for parity between teams, all this is going to do is just water down the overall quality of the league.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Offersheet !!11!

Exactly more scoring due to worse teams. Guys like, Kyle Wellwood would get jobs.

Perhaps, but I doubt there is a lack of talent. There are guys in the AHL and other leagues who could or should be in the NHL right now, but due to how good the players have become it's harder.

Adding two teams would be kinda meh but within 5 years it would balance out. The Talent and skill between star players and 4th line guys compared to 30 years ago.

May 27, 2012
Earth
There's already 30 teams in the league. Honestly, anything more is overkill and seeing as the league pushes so hard for parity between teams, all this is going to do is just water down the overall quality of the league.

I doubt it. If anything it would improve the amount of quality players. Players who normally wouldn't get a chance would have one. It all depends on the drafting teams and how they develop players.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

People have made this argument every expansion and the fact is it's just never really materialized into a diminished on-ice product.

The league has more talent right now than at any time in its history as well.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Coyotes will not be moving to Vegas, they want that expansion money. Expansion will net the NHL 500+ Million in expansion fees, when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg the league only got $60 million. Houston, Portland or Kansas City are better bets for relocation destinations.

I would suggest that $500 million from Las Vegas is not worth more than $500 million from one of the other potential options for expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad