OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Ehh ... there are a bunch of jerseys of local teams hanging but it's hardly the kind of history you have in New York. The trophy case is a work in progress. The culinary experience has gotten much better since we got Canadian owners, so eat a poutine from Smokes and a cinnamon pretzel from Wetzels.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Ehh ... there are a bunch of jerseys of local teams hanging but it's hardly the kind of history you have in New York. The trophy case is a work in progress. The culinary experience has gotten much better since we got Canadian owners, so eat a poutine from Smokes and a cinnamon pretzel from Wetzels.

Cool, thanks for the info. Might hit up that poutine if it looks good. I'm really looking forward to catching a game a GRA. How bad is traffic at the arena? Being from NYC, I can take public transportation and be at MSG in 40 minutes or an hour to Prudential from Brooklyn. I can also walk to Barclays in 30 minutes.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Cool, thanks for the info. Might hit up that poutine if it looks good. I'm really looking forward to catching a game a GRA. How bad is traffic at the arena? Being from NYC, I can take public transportation and be at MSG in 40 minutes or an hour to Prudential from Brooklyn. I can also walk to Barclays in 30 minutes.

Pre-game traffic really isn't that bad at all (subjective, though if you're comparing it to NYC traffic you'd probably agree). Post-game traffic can be annoying depending on where you park.

If you're coming for a 7 p.m. game and planning to check out Westgate prior to the game, and arrive around 5:30 on a Saturday, there really won't be much traffic at all. If you show up to the area at 6:30 that could be pushing it, but you'll still likely get to your seat in time. Since you're coming to a Saturday game, rush hour traffic in general will be pretty much a non-factor. If you hit a traffic jam it'll be for something unpredictable like an accident on the opposite carriageway.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Hey guys, do you know of any good places to get some jersey stitching done? I'm a transplant from MN and wanna get numbers / name / "A" patch stitched on.

Thanks in advance

edit: preferably in mesa, but anywhere in the valley would work

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Hey guys, do you know of any good places to get some jersey stitching done? I'm a transplant from MN and wanna get numbers / name / "A" patch stitched on.

Thanks in advance

edit: preferably in mesa, but anywhere in the valley would work

I had some done at the Coyotes Den at the arena a few years ago. That's a bit of a haul from Mesa, though.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Alright Yotes, I need your help!

I'm in Phoenix (DoubleTree right beside the Airport), and I need a place for me and my buddy to watch the playoffs. We used Google but nothing really came up. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you will, PM me as I don't always check this thread.

Thanks!

SG 50

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Well, after spending more time in Phoenix, I've come to the terms that I'm in love with the city. Visited some cools places, was able to run all through Papago Park, visited some breweries, and spent some time down town.

My wife and I have looked and discussed moving away from Atlanta, and so I'll be taking her to Phoenix soon so that she can experience it as well, but coming from a city without an NHL team (ex-Thrasher ST Holder with my Dad), I must say that I'm adopting you Yotes.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Well, after spending more time in Phoenix, I've come to the terms that I'm in love with the city. Visited some cools places, was able to run all through Papago Park, visited some breweries, and spent some time down town.

My wife and I have looked and discussed moving away from Atlanta, and so I'll be taking her to Phoenix soon so that she can experience it as well, but coming from a city without an NHL team (ex-Thrasher ST Holder with my Dad), I must say that I'm adopting you Yotes.

Oh great...the valley just got crowded ;)

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Hotel Info

Coming to Glendale for a game in January. Currently booked in at the Residence Inn, 7350 N. Zanjero Boulevard. I have been told it is an easy walk from there to Gila River Arena. Could anyone confirm that and also, what are some of the better pre and post game watering holes. Thanks.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Coming to Glendale for a game in January. Currently booked in at the Residence Inn, 7350 N. Zanjero Boulevard. I have been told it is an easy walk from there to Gila River Arena. Could anyone confirm that

In January, yeah it would be easy. Half mile or so.

and also, what are some of the better pre and post game watering holes. Thanks.

Personally I don't consider anything in the Westgate area to be better than above average, though I haven't been to all of them.

Gordon Biersch would be my top pick for a combination of Food Quality/Price. They brew their own stuff.

For a cheaper option I'd go with Native, which is actually across the street by the Cabelas. Food is below average but they have better prices than most because they don't stop their happy hour specials on gamenights. A lot of the other places do now.

Whiskey Rose is okay but overpriced for what it is.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Hotel Info

Thanks SniperHF. Much appreciated. I have heard lots of positives about Gila River Arena and the surrounding area and I am looking forward to our visit.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
In January, yeah it would be easy. Half mile or so.

Personally I don't consider anything in the Westgate area to be better than above average, though I haven't been to all of them.

Gordon Biersch would be my top pick for a combination of Food Quality/Price. They brew their own stuff.

For a cheaper option I'd go with Native, which is actually across the street by the Cabelas. Food is below average but they have better prices than most because they don't stop their happy hour specials on gamenights. A lot of the other places do now.

Whiskey Rose is okay but overpriced for what it is.

Especially if they still have the Winter Bock available. One of my favorites.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
In a Venn diagram of restaurant types, Gordon Biersch and Yard House would be close to Earl's, if you're familiar (at least, that's what I remember thinking when I went to Edmonton)

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Hotel Info

In a Venn diagram of restaurant types, Gordon Biersch and Yard House would be close to Earl's, if you're familiar (at least, that's what I remember thinking when I went to Edmonton)

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with Earls but I did have to google Venn diagram (been out of college to long).

Sounds like Gordon Biersch is a good choice for decent food and a good selection of craft beer.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not much a drinker, but I ate about 20 of those Spicy Chicken Risotto things last time I was there :laugh:

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
If I want to take a trip to AZ in the fall/winter to see a Yotes and a Roadrunners game, where should I stay? I would definitely rent a car. I gotta get down there, been wanting to for years.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If I want to take a trip to AZ in the fall/winter to see a Yotes and a Roadrunners game, where should I stay? I would definitely rent a car. I gotta get down there, been wanting to for years.

If you are thinking of catching both, try a vacation rental. there are a few good Vacation Rental websites to start your research.

I guess it depends what you are looking for, but Vacation Rentals will make the experience much more memorable and you can better tailor your stay. For example, I've seen a few places that are near parks/hiking, condos with pools, places near golf courses (not an interest of mine), and I even came across a place at a working ranch that welcomes (but doesn't require) any volunteer work you'd be interested in contributing (if that's your thing). Most of them definitely beat out hotels, although I usually went with a suite of some sort (kitchen and such) as a base of operations, but that would be trickier between Glendale and Tucson.

I haven't vacationed in AZ for around 6-7 years (I think), so I'm starting from scratch in my planning for a December visit.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Is November a good time to visit AZ? I might scrap the Roadrunners game and focus on the Yotes. I have vacation time I'll need to use up before the year is over.

Is that atmosphere at GRA pretty good that early in the season? I'd prefer to catch a game against a team without a huge transplant fanbase. I'll be going as a full on Yotes fan.

If I were to stay at a hotel near GRA, would driving to Phoenix be a pain? Is there a decent social/nighttime scene in Westgate?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Is November a good time to visit AZ? I might scrap the Roadrunners game and focus on the Yotes. I have vacation time I'll need to use up before the year is over.
Spectacular time of year to visit. But you're going to need a car to get around PHX, so it's pretty easy to get down to Tucson anyway, so I'd recommend you check out both, even if you just go to Tuxon for a game day. Get down there by 1, eat, check out the Titan Missile Museum or Saguaro Park or Sabino Canyon or the Sonora Desert Museum. Couple hours there, dinner and a Roadrunners game and you can probably make it back to PHX the same day.
Is that atmosphere at GRA pretty good that early in the season? I'd prefer to catch a game against a team without a huge transplant fanbase. I'll be going as a full on Yotes fan.
Weekends, sure, week nights against a so-so opponent, it'll be quiet. 10 Nov vs WPG, 12 Nov vs BOS, 19 Nov vs SJS will all be good. 3 Nov vs NSH it will be a morgue at GRA.
If I were to stay at a hotel near GRA, would driving to Phoenix be a pain? Is there a decent social/nighttime scene in Westgate?
Outside of rush hour, on the 101, it's probably 25 minutes from GRA to downtown PHX (Central / I-17 / I-10 area). Add 10 more and take the north loop to get to Old Town Scottsdale from Westgate. Your call I guess, but for many folks 25-30 minutes is usually right about the point where driving becomes a pain.

Game nights it gets super-crowded at Westgate, non-game weekends there's a good crowd, but weeknights without a Coyotes game it's really quiet there. A lot of bars and restaurants will do good specials and discounts on those nights, but it'll be a thin crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad