OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What's the likelihood Conor Garland returns to the Q ?

I doubt he returns since he doesn't really have much else to prove at that level and needs to bulk up and learn what it takes to play at the NHL level. Based on the prospect camp, he obviously has some maturing to do.

Looking at the Moncton pre-season roster, they have plenty of players that are (or will turn) 20 this season. I counted 5 forwards (2 NHL-drafted), 2 d-men, and 2 goalies (1 NHL-drafted). Please note that I may not be counting correctly since I'm not sure where their cutoff is for a player's "20 year old season".

Garland is not on the 2016 pre-season roster (he was last year), which probably doesn't mean much, but indications are that he probably won't return unless 7 of the above do horribly leading up to the season's start.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
What's the likelihood Conor Garland returns to the Q ?
0%. He was 19 when he was drafted in 2015, he's done in junior hockey. Guys who have NHL contracts don't go back for overage years. He'll skate for our AHL affiliate in Tucson, a couple hours south of Phoenix, and he probably plays two seasons there before he gets a serious look at the NHL.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I'm going to be in AZ from Dec 7th to the 11th. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see on the day there won't be a Yotes game?

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
What do you like to do? Where will you be staying?

I'll be staying in Glendale, but I'll have a rental car. I'd like to do some nature/outdoorsy stuff. I'm not interested in shopping beyond the Coyotes Den, but if it's really hot out and there's a big mall in Phoenix I might check that out as a backup plan. I'd prefer to see and do things I could only see or do in AZ. I can shop when I'm home.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'll be staying in Glendale, but I'll have a rental car. I'd like to do some nature/outdoorsy stuff. I'm not interested in shopping beyond the Coyotes Den, but if it's really hot out and there's a big mall in Phoenix I might check that out as a backup plan. I'd prefer to see and do things I could only see or do in AZ. I can shop when I'm home.

It won't be hot in December.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm going to be in AZ from Dec 7th to the 11th. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/see on the day there won't be a Yotes game?

If you don't mind the drive the Roadrunners play the Ontario Reign in Tucson on the 7th and the 9th. Chance to see BizNasty playing against the Pups.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ

The Musical Instrument Museum is a great place to hang out for a couple of hours. It's about 25 minutes east of Glendale right off the 101.

http://mim.org/

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
Hello all,

I'm a Bruins fan(please be kind) but my 10 year old son loves the Coyotes. I'm not sure why, but he really loves the cool original logo, and uniforms which I have to agree look awesome! I would love to bring him out for a game as he really has a weird love for AZ even though he's never been there. Actually he hasn't even been to TD Graden for a Bruins game yet(pricey). I would love to go out there for a Bruins game, but it is pretty early in the season, and travel seems expensive.

Is there a cheaper time of year to travel to AZ? I would see anyone play to be honest if airfare is cheaper during a certain period of the year. If we go will getting tickets be easy, or difficult? We drove to Baltimore this summer so he could go to an Orioles game(yeah he likes them for some reason), and getting tickets day of game was super easy, and cheap compared with Fenway. Can I assume this would be the case or do the Coyotes draw well on a weekend game? Aslo if we did go during the weekend of November 12th would we be able to get tickets for the Cardinals too, or is that a tough ticket (the Patriots are super tough to get tickets for)?

Thanks for your time,

Chris

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Is there a cheaper time of year to travel to AZ? I would see anyone play to be honest if airfare is cheaper during a certain period of the year. If we go will getting tickets be easy, or difficult? We drove to Baltimore this summer so he could go to an Orioles game(yeah he likes them for some reason), and getting tickets day of game was super easy, and cheap compared with Fenway. Can I assume this would be the case or do the Coyotes draw well on a weekend game? Aslo if we did go during the weekend of November 12th would we be able to get tickets for the Cardinals too, or is that a tough ticket (the Patriots are super tough to get tickets for)?

Roughly the entire hockey season is considered "in season" for Arizona so I don't think you'll see many discounts. Getting impromptu tickets to a Coyotes game is really only a challenge if certain teams visit, and I don't think Boston is one of them. Honestly, tickets for the Coyotes - even at face value - are pretty cheap so there's no harm in buying in advance if you're flying out. The Cardinals are another story. You can always get a ticket, as there's no shortage of people looking to flip theirs, but they can get pricey as the game draws near. I'd check in advance, as there's plenty on stubhub right now at what I would bet are reasonable prices compared to most east coast teams.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys, heading to a game in a couple of weeks. Couple of questions...does anyone have any decent food recommendations before the game near the arena? And any suggestions to grab a drink in the Tempe area after the game? We will have a car so that's no issue. Thanks in advance.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Hey guys, heading to a game in a couple of weeks. Couple of questions...does anyone have any decent food recommendations before the game near the arena? And any suggestions to grab a drink in the Tempe area after the game? We will have a car so that's no issue. Thanks in advance.

Gila River Arena is part of Westgate Entertainment District. Lots of food and booze joints to choose from.

Saddle Ranch Chop House is good.

http://www.westgateaz.com/dine/dining-guide/

I have not been to Tempe in years, so don't have a recommendation for there.

Last edited:

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Gila River Arena is part of Westgate Entertainment District. Lots of food and booze joints to choose from.

Saddle Ranch Chop House is good.

http://www.westgateaz.com/dine/dining-guide/

I have not been to Tempe in years, so don't have a recommendation for there.

Thanks MIG. We were considering Saddle Ranch Chop House, Kabuki or Crave. Anyone know if those waffle sandwiches are any good?

Japanese may not be the greatest pre-game hockey meal, but after two weeks of just eating BBQ, that might be our plan :laugh:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Thanks MIG. We were considering Saddle Ranch Chop House, Kabuki or Crave. Anyone know if those waffle sandwiches are any good?

Japanese may not be the greatest pre-game hockey meal, but after two weeks of just eating BBQ, that might be our plan :laugh:

The Yard in Tempe has good food and has ping pong / boche ball etc.

Cornish Pasty if you want to go to a divey bar.

Pedal Haus if you want something in-between the two options.

Then of course there is Casey Moores.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
The Yard in Tempe has good food and has ping pong / boche ball etc.

Cornish Pasty if you want to go to a divey bar.

Pedal Haus if you want something in-between the two options.

Then of course there is Casey Moores.

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. Casey Moore's sounds like a big hangout spot for the ASU students, is that correct?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Also, Kabuki's, while doing fairly brisk business, rarely has long wait times, and sometimes you can just plop yourself down in the little bar area and get served right away.

Whiskey Rose seems to be easier if you're running a little late, too.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. Casey Moore's sounds like a big hangout spot for the ASU students, is that correct?

I go to Casey Moore's a lot. It's super laidback and has a really cool atmosphere, but it's skews slightly older (I'm 23, and I'm usually one of the younger people there any given weekend), and leans more to the tattoo artist/leather jacket wearing crowd.

The main drag of Mill, is probably where more of the average 21 year old ASU students hang out.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Also, Kabuki's, while doing fairly brisk business, rarely has long wait times, and sometimes you can just plop yourself down in the little bar area and get served right away.

Whiskey Rose seems to be easier if you're running a little late, too.

Kabuki's looks really good. Haven't heard much about any of these places but all of them have good reviews online, so doesn't really seem like we can go wrong.

I go to Casey Moore's a lot. It's super laidback and has a really cool atmosphere, but it's skews slightly older (I'm 23, and I'm usually one of the younger people there any given weekend), and leans more to the tattoo artist/leather jacket wearing crowd.

The main drag of Mill, is probably where more of the average 21 year old ASU students hang out.

We're definitely looking to avoid the ASU bars... seems like it's going to be wild over there if school is in session. How's the parking by Casey Moore's or on Mill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad