OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Kabuki's looks really good. Haven't heard much about any of these places but all of them have good reviews online, so doesn't really seem like we can go wrong.

We're definitely looking to avoid the ASU bars... seems like it's going to be wild over there if school is in session. How's the parking by Casey Moore's or on Mill?

Mill's a nightmare. Park by Casey's. If their lot's full park in the plaza next to it, with contains Cartel (it's a coffeeshop) and a store called Buffao Exchange.

If you go to Kabuki's, order a Love Boat.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hey guys, might be moving to Arizona in the near future so I had a few questions about locations.

I have read through some of the thread and I keep seeing Tempe and Scottsdale as the main nightlife spots. I am 24 so that would be fine with me, but I also don't want to just party 24/7. I also like some chill spots. I am wondering what are Chandler, Mesa, and Glendale like in particular? I can find affordable housing there, but is there also enough to do in those cities? Would you recommend any of them over the others for a young professional?

Phoenix area is so big and I've never been there before so I'm trying to narrow it down a little, so any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hey guys, might be moving to Arizona in the near future so I had a few questions about locations.

I have read through some of the thread and I keep seeing Tempe and Scottsdale as the main nightlife spots. I am 24 so that would be fine with me, but I also don't want to just party 24/7. I also like some chill spots. I am wondering what are Chandler, Mesa, and Glendale like in particular? I can find affordable housing there, but is there also enough to do in those cities? Would you recommend any of them over the others for a young professional?

Phoenix area is so big and I've never been there before so I'm trying to narrow it down a little, so any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Our metro area is, as I gather, pretty spread out compared to other so-called "major" cities. I'm showing my bias having grown up on the east side, but I think the east side is generally a better place to live than the west side if you're young. We tend to divide the area up between "east valley", "central", and "west valley". Tempe and Scottsdale are both in the "east valley" and reasonably accessible if you live in or near it (such as on the east side of Phoenix city proper, but eastern proper Phoenix tends to be a dump). The west side doesn't have much, and in terms of access to the centrally-located attractions, has generally worse access. Chandler's not so bad because it's just below (or, south of) Tempe, and transport/infastructure links between Tempe and Scottsdale are pretty good. Mesa is a barren wasteland and Glendale's pretty much extremely far away from everything except for the local NFL/NHL venues.

Long story short, if you're considering Chandler vs. Mesa vs. Glendale, I'd highly recommend Chandler above the other two by a long shot.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Our metro area is, as I gather, pretty spread out compared to other so-called "major" cities. I'm showing my bias having grown up on the east side, but I think the east side is generally a better place to live than the west side if you're young. We tend to divide the area up between "east valley", "central", and "west valley". Tempe and Scottsdale are both in the "east valley" and reasonably accessible if you live in or near it (such as on the east side of Phoenix city proper, but eastern proper Phoenix tends to be a dump). The west side doesn't have much, and in terms of access to the centrally-located attractions, has generally worse access. Chandler's not so bad because it's just below (or, south of) Tempe, and transport/infastructure links between Tempe and Scottsdale are pretty good. Mesa is a barren wasteland and Glendale's pretty much extremely far away from everything except for the local NFL/NHL venues.

Long story short, if you're considering Chandler vs. Mesa vs. Glendale, I'd highly recommend Chandler above the other two by a long shot.
Perfect.

I did some previous research that drew the same conclusion, but I pretty much just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Either Chandler or Scottsdale is probably where I end up. And I like the spread out aspect of the area.

Thank you!

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Perfect.

I did some previous research that drew the same conclusion, but I pretty much just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Either Chandler or Scottsdale is probably where I end up. And I like the spread out aspect of the area.

Thank you!
Look into the surprise area as well. It's out west and growing fast!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Stay east of the 51 (Piestewa Freeway) and you'll be happy pretty much anywhere. Paradise Valley, Central Phoenix/Biltmore area, Scottsdale, and Tempe have 90% of the nightlife and things you'd be interested in. Mesa has some nice spots, but they are more like extensions of Chandler, Tempe, and Gilbert, which are better run.

Look into the surprise area as well. It's out west and growing fast!

Surprise is the last place I'd recommend to someone with wide open options.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Stay east of the 51 (Piestewa Freeway) and you'll be happy pretty much anywhere. Paradise Valley, Central Phoenix/Biltmore area, Scottsdale, and Tempe have 90% of the nightlife and things you'd be interested in. Mesa has some nice spots, but they are more like extensions of Chandler, Tempe, and Gilbert, which are better run.

Surprise is the last place I'd recommend to someone with wide open options.
Why would that be? The area has relatively no crime. I guess no clubs in walking proximity. There are nice bars in the area though.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Why would that be? The area has relatively no crime. I guess no clubs in walking proximity. There are nice bars in the area though.

As spread out as the Phoenix area is, suburbia is just suburbia. There are "problem pockets" scattered all over the valley. The ones I've run into the most are Guadalupe, northwest Mesa, and in Phoenix proper, the Arcadia and Alhambra districts. I've had two bikes stolen in Arcadia, and I live in Alhambra for a bit. Two weeks after I moved there, there was a murder two blocks away from my house. Such an introduction to the area! Residential-wise I don't have anything against the west valley in general (a friend used to live in Peoria and it was a nice place to live), it's just kind of far away from most places I'd personally consider going to.

On the other hand, I lived in Mesa at the time and that was a really far drive back from GRA so sometimes I'd go crash at her place in Peoria after games :laugh:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I'll defer to the locals on this one, but here's my 2 cents worth. First, I haven't been to the Phoenix area for about 10 years, so my take may be outdated and incorrect, but I'm sure others will correct any misinformation.

During my visits to the area, I always liked the Tempe area. I'm not sure on residential prices, but there seemed to be plenty to do and would probably be a good fit for your age (somewhat of a "college town" feel back then, but not too "party-centric").

As for any move to a new area, I recommend spending a long weekend in the area and decide for yourself. You could rent a car (if that's how you'll be getting around once you move), get a room somewhere in the Tempe-Mesa-Chandler area and check things out. From my experience, I doubt you'd want to start out in the Glendale area, but I'm sure it is much more developed than when I was there (I remember visiting GRA around 2004-2005).

I'm hoping you aren't buying a home/condo prior to living there. It's much better to rent the first year (or so depending on what type of business/company you'll be working for) and see how things go. Once you have moved there, you can start branching out and visiting various areas if you plan to settle in the area long-term.

Good luck, I was considering moving out there 6-7 years ago, but am relatively comfortable in my current position, so I'll most likely remain here until I retire (hopefully about 10-15 years from now if all goes well). The Phoenix area will give you plenty to do in your 20s, 30s, and beyond (I loved hiking up in the Prescott and Flagstaff areas when I had the chance and north of Tucson had some nice hikes as well).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll defer to the locals on this one, but here's my 2 cents worth. First, I haven't been to the Phoenix area for about 10 years, so my take may be outdated and incorrect, but I'm sure others will correct any misinformation.

During my visits to the area, I always liked the Tempe area. I'm not sure on residential prices, but there seemed to be plenty to do and would probably be a good fit for your age (somewhat of a "college town" feel back then, but not too "party-centric").

As for any move to a new area, I recommend spending a long weekend in the area and decide for yourself. You could rent a car (if that's how you'll be getting around once you move), get a room somewhere in the Tempe-Mesa-Chandler area and check things out. From my experience, I doubt you'd want to start out in the Glendale area, but I'm sure it is much more developed than when I was there (I remember visiting GRA around 2004-2005).

I'm hoping you aren't buying a home/condo prior to living there. It's much better to rent the first year (or so depending on what type of business/company you'll be working for) and see how things go. Once you have moved there, you can start branching out and visiting various areas if you plan to settle in the area long-term.

Good luck, I was considering moving out there 6-7 years ago, but am relatively comfortable in my current position, so I'll most likely remain here until I retire (hopefully about 10-15 years from now if all goes well). The Phoenix area will give you plenty to do in your 20s, 30s, and beyond (I loved hiking up in the Prescott and Flagstaff areas when I had the chance and north of Tucson had some nice hikes as well).
Great post. Yeah, I'm going down there in a few weeks to check out the area and everything first. I'll check out some apartments and I'll definitely be renting if/when I decide to move there.

Cause the user is 24.

Tempe or Downtown would be my choices if I were in your situation Bluedream.
Thanks. Now that I look more into it, Tempe does actually seem like that may be the best fit for me.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
@ BlueDream

A very important factor that I'm surprised no one has mentioned is why are you coming? For work or school? Where you plan on working or attending school will likely weigh heavily as to where you want to live.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
@ BlueDream

A very important factor that I'm surprised no one has mentioned is why are you coming? For work or school? Where you plan on working or attending school will likely weigh heavily as to where you want to live.
It's for work. But my options are wide open in many different locations. I have somewhat of a choice. The actual office location is yet to be set, but there is a possibility I will be working in Scottsdale right now (could change). However I also have to take into account affordability. So I am assuming if I can find a cheaper apartment in Tempe, the drive to Scottsdale for work wouldn't be bad. (Google Maps shows about 15 minutes).

Here in St. Louis my previous commute was 30 minutes. So anything below that can be considered an improvement.

So basically it's anywhere around the Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area that I'm targeting. I will provide more details as it comes but I figure the areas are close enough to each other to be looking around in all 3. My move date is looking like early October, so 2 months out.

Maybe that helps. Everything is still early on in the process so I'm just getting as much info as possible to make sure I don't miss anything.

Last edited:

Feb 12, 2003
If you want to stay within a 30 minute commute of Scottsdale I would recommend Tempe as Mesa and Chandler start to stray a bit away in distance. I guess western Mesa would be ok, but Tempe is the prime spot.

Tempe would be the "cool" area to live, that is where the life of the valley is with ASU. If you want to go out bar hopping and living the lifestyle it is all in Scottsdale and Tempe. If that is not your scene, then it really opens up the entire valley in my opinion. I have always like the northwest area (Glendale, Peoria) and I have lived in a number of places across the valley over nearly 40 years.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It's for work. But my options are wide open in many different locations. I have somewhat of a choice. The actual office location is yet to be set, but there is a possibility I will be working in Scottsdale right now (could change). However I also have to take into account affordability. So I am assuming if I can find a cheaper apartment in Tempe, the drive to Scottsdale for work wouldn't be bad. (Google Maps shows about 15 minutes).

Here in St. Louis my previous commute was 30 minutes. So anything below that can be considered an improvement.

So basically it's anywhere around the Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area that I'm targeting. I will provide more details as it comes but I figure the areas are close enough to each other to be looking around in all 3. My move date is looking like early October, so 2 months out.

Maybe that helps. Everything is still early on in the process so I'm just getting as much info as possible to make sure I don't miss anything.

Going from Tempe/Mesa/Chandler into Scottsdale will basically take you up the freeway called the Loop 101. I'd look at housing near the L101 or US-60 (there's a big junction between the 101 and 60). If you're looking at Chandler, the Interstate 10 makes a convenient connection to the 60 where you can take it over to the 101. Do note that the 101 northbound into Scottsdale in the mornings and the 101 southbound into Tempe/Mesa/Chandler is where the "rush hour" is going so you'll face heavy traffic to and from work if you work a normal day shift. So, if that 15 minutes is without traffic, then it might be more like 20-25 with traffic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Apartment complexes are abundant, especially along the Scottsdale corridor. Tempe won't necessarily be cheaper for an equivalent place as ASU inflates the prices a bit. A benefit of Phoenix having relatively low wages and being so spread out is that it's pretty affordable, unless you want a house in Scottsdale or PV. Only a handful of places are what I'd call expensive, especially relative to cities where living is extremely expensive.

You can find a 1 bedroom with a washer/dryer in unit for under 1k pretty easily, even right next to the prime nightlife spots. Stay inside the 101 and 51, you'll have everything you want and a short commute. Beware places near ASU that list a really low price, that's generally just for the room and you share the apartment with what are likely ASU students.

Here's the area I'm talking about on a map

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
As someone who has lived as north (in the metro Phoenix area) as happy valley road and 35th ave and as west as buckeye, I've always been a west sider. I get lost when it comes to the east and south valleys. Personally, I feel the college life is overrated! It's just a blip in life. Contacts are always good, but with how technology works, you can easily make those contacts doing other life related things.

I know I'm completely in the minority, so you'd probably be better suited for where everyone else has suggested.

Good luck with your move. Let me know if you need any help moving in.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I know I'm completely in the minority, so you'd probably be better suited for where everyone else has suggested.
Good luck with your move. Let me know if you need any help moving in.

Well, it's the first year in the area and you are renting. So, my advice would be to pick an area close to the location you know you'll be working at for the first year and then explore other areas during weekends/time off to see if they suit your lifestyle. From what you've said somewhere within the Scottsdale/Tempe/Mesa triangle would be a good starting point. If you can find an affordable place closer to Scottsdale, that's probably a good bet since there's plenty to do there without being too "college-like."

Another option, if you can afford it (and are traveling light), is to look at vacation rentals,resorts, or sublets (perhaps hopping a bit). You might find a decent deal that would work for 3 months or so and then you can look for a longer term rental at your leisure. It would probably be a fair bit higher (price wise) than starting with an apt., but is an option. I did a quick 5-minute search (you could probably find better), and some of the short-term rental options seem comparable to apartments price-wise (and may be slightly better amenities or size-wise than a new rental).

pnch40

May 31, 2015
Wondering on tickets to Gila. Does it fill up? Flying in from out of town and wanted to try to catch a game on a Saturday, Oct 21.

Would you buy tickets now or wait?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Wondering on tickets to Gila. Does it fill up? Flying in from out of town and wanted to try to catch a game on a Saturday, Oct 21.

Would you buy tickets now or wait?
Depends on the opponent. If it's a team with a lot of transplant fans here, or a good team with a lot of bandwagon fans, tickets will be stupidly expensive. If it's a not, it should be fine to wait. Still if that's something you for sure want to do, I'd say why wait? Grab them now and be sure.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Depends on the opponent. If it's a team with a lot of transplant fans here, or a good team with a lot of bandwagon fans, tickets will be stupidly expensive. If it's a not, it should be fine to wait. Still if that's something you for sure want to do, I'd say why wait? Grab them now and be sure.

10/21. It's the Blackhawks. Grab them now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
10/21. It's the Blackhawks. Grab them now.

Lol yeah those will be in high demand, I'd grab them as soon as possible. We have a lot of black hawk fans, and we also have a lot of "black hawk fans". Both gobble up tickets, and the resale prices are crazy high.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Hi Arizona-an's,
My wife and kids and I are coming to Phoenix for a 9 or 10 day vacation early in 2018 and I'm interested in hearing any thoughts or recommendations on things to do for a family. We'll be staying near Phoenix, not sure exactly where yet, and I'm mostly interested in outdoor stuff (amazing scenery, light hiking, etc...) that is within 2 or 3 hours of the city. Also, any interesting museums that you think we should make an effort to see.

My kids are 9 and 12, if that matters to any of the recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Looking forward to seeing your city!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad