OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Hi guys, so a bunch of us (15) are coming in may (19-23) for my brothers bachelor party. For some reason hes really into golfing so are there any suggestions of good courses that aren't overly priced.

As well since thats the weeked before memorial day for you guys any suggestions on clubs or bars to hit up?

and finally is there something thats a really memorable to do thats cool there?

I really don't know much about the courses here and am not a big golfer myself. My one tip is the earlier, the better because even in May it's going to be pretty hot. Hopefully someone else can help you. What area are you looking for?

My recommendation for restaurant/bar (also kind of memorable) would be any authentic Mexican place. Not the Tex/Mex that you can get anywhere else. Look for a place that serves chilaquiles, poblano, tres leches and when they serve you coke it will have real sugar. The actual Mexican food here is delicious, and usually very reasonably priced.

Obviously for tourists there's the Grand Canyon, but be warned, it's a four-hour drive one way. Staying more in the greater Phoenix area, we have the Desert Botanical Garden which is great for walking through at night (they have different events at different times and and they cater to a wide audience. Alcohol is available to purchase. If you and your friends are feeling more sporty, than you can walk up/climb Camelback Mountain which is fun/great view (Beware the heat though, hopefully it won't be to bad in May, bring lots of water) and the Coyotes used to do it as a rookie camp activity. I'm probably not the best person to talk to but regarding clubs and bars I think Mill Avenue, which is near ASU, is pretty wild. Two unique museums I'll recommend that are very cool are the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix and a place in Scottsdale called Taliesin West. It was Frank Lloyd Wright's home and now it's been converted into a museum. They give really good tours.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hi guys, so a bunch of us (15) are coming in may (19-23) for my brothers bachelor party. For some reason hes really into golfing so are there any suggestions of good courses that aren't overly priced.

As well since thats the weeked before memorial day for you guys any suggestions on clubs or bars to hit up?

and finally is there something thats a really memorable to do thats cool there?

Which part of town are you staying in? I live in Tempe, and some decently cheap courses (though our rates are higher in the winter) in the Tempe area are Ken McDonald, Rio Salado, and there's also a 9-hole short course called Shalimar.

Papago Golf Course is on the nicer side, and if you're further east, there's Kokopelli Golf Course and Western Skies, but those three are pretty pricey this time of year.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Taliesin West checks the culture box and Camelback is freaking beautiful. Go up there to watch the sunset, then hike down, shower and hit the clubs.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Hi guys,

I am looking to go to the game when the Panthers come in on March 5th.

Any recommended hotels that are decent for a decent price? It doesnt have to be right by the arena but a drive of 15 minutes or so max

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Hi guys,

I am looking to go to the game when the Panthers come in on March 5th.

Any recommended hotels that are decent for a decent price? It doesnt have to be right by the arena but a drive of 15 minutes or so max
Tough time to find empty rooms; that's the first week of baseball spring training, so things are going to be jam packed. Surprise (NW of the arena) and Goodyear (SW) have rooms, hotels, movies, etc, but they'll all have crowds in March.

There are a ton of hotels along I-17 in the middle of town that are far enough away from the stadiums in Scottsdale / Surprise / Tempe that you'll find rooms, but that's not the nicest / most entertaining part of town. I-17 to the Gila River Arena is right about 20 minutes in all but the worst traffic.

gfas

Feb 29, 2016
My Trip To AZ

Hey guys, I'm heading out to Arizona for spring training with a handful of friends in a few weeks and I was thinking about hitting up a Coyotes game while I was in the area. Never been to an NHL game; I'm from the Cincinnati area and while we've got the ECHL affiliate of the Predators, and those games are fun, I can't imagine it's quite the same thing.

Anyway, I could either go see the Coyotes play Edmonton or Dallas. Any suggestions on which one? Any tips or suggestions for anything I should see while I'm there? I'm sort of just getting into hockey and don't really follow any team in particular. Thanks!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Look for the sticky threads at the top of the Coyotes forum and check out"Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread"

The start of the thread is pretty old but the most recent few pages should give you some good ideas, and a moderator will probably fold this thread into that one anyway.

tl;dr: Grand Canyon is 4 hour drive each way, check out Camelback Mountain (Scottsdale) or Thunderbird Nature Park (Glendale) or White Tanks (West Glendale) if you want to get a short desert hike / climb here in town. Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home in Scottsdale (Taliesin West) is some high culture architecture and something I take all visitors to see. Drink at Westgate near the arena or drink with the kids on Mill Avenue (Tempe) or drink with the adults in Old Town Scottsdale. The Musical Instrument Museum (N Phoenix) is a uniquely awesome place to kill 2 hours or 4 days. Lots of golf available all over the valley.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Anyway, I could either go see the Coyotes play Edmonton or Dallas. Any suggestions on which one? Any tips or suggestions for anything I should see while I'm there? I'm sort of just getting into hockey and don't really follow any team in particular. Thanks!

Watch us play Edmonton. Those worthless mother****ers couldn't beat us if the game was rigged in their favor. We haven't lost to them in regulation, since 2009, and we play in the same god damned division. I'm tired of Edmonton blowing it every time we need to lose a game. On the bright side, it's literally a guaranteed win.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Watch us play Edmonton. Those worthless mother****ers couldn't beat us if the game was rigged in their favor. We haven't lost to them in regulation, since 2009, and we play in the same god damned division. I'm tired of Edmonton blowing it every time we need to lose a game. On the bright side, it's literally a guaranteed win.

In b4 Ovechkin style McDavid goal

gfas

Feb 29, 2016

Thanks for the responses guys and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area. But yeah this is a good suggestion b/c I want to see a winner and to hear the horn blast a few times.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Thanks for the responses guys and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area. But yeah this is a good suggestion b/c I want to see a winner and to hear the horn blast a few times.

Actually, Dallas might be the better option. We always step it up against strong opponents and at least one team will be playing their butts off (probably Dallas).

If you go to the Edmonton game, both teams are out of the playoff hunt and neither will be playing to their full potential (especially in late March); in fact, both teams might be "playing for a loss" for a better draft/lottery pick (I witnessed this once when I attended a Coyotes-Islanders game a few years back). Since you have no team allegiance at this point, the Dallas game would be more exciting (Seguin, Benn, etc.) since they'll probably be fighting for an improved playoff position.

My closing advice is to go with Option 3 (if your friends are willing), hit both games. By that point in the season, you should be able get relatively inexpensive tickets.

When I used to vacation in AZ, I would select a hotel somewhat near the arena (such as it was back then) and would hit as many games as I could. Since most games are at night, I would do whatever non-hockey activity during the day, head to a bar/restaurant near the arena for a late lunch/early dinner, catch a game, and then head to my hotel room for the evening (I suppose you could throw in a second bar visit after the game).

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
My closing advice is to go with Option 3 (if your friends are willing), hit both games. By that point in the season, you should be able get relatively inexpensive tickets..

Check Stubhub

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hey guys, I'm heading out to Arizona for spring training with a handful of friends in a few weeks and I was thinking about hitting up a Coyotes game while I was in the area. Never been to an NHL game; I'm from the Cincinnati area and while we've got the ECHL affiliate of the Predators, and those games are fun, I can't imagine it's quite the same thing.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread and in our visitors' thread. I would suggest going to the Dallas game as Dallas' team is just crazy good. High-energy, high-speed, high-offense, which makes for a great game to watch even though that probably means the Coyotes will get slaughtered.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Lots of good suggestions in this thread and in our visitors' thread. I would suggest going to the Dallas game as Dallas' team is just crazy good. High-energy, high-speed, high-offense, which makes for a great game to watch even though that probably means the Coyotes will get slaughtered.

On the other hand, McDavid is possibly a future hall of famer...and you can tell your grand kids you saw him play as a rookie.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
On the other hand, McDavid is possibly a future hall of famer...and you can tell your grand kids you saw him play as a rookie.

That's probably the route I would suggest. And when two teams are both this bad, it usually ends up a fairly exciting, open game. Like college football.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Just to watch McDavid is worth the price of admission.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
hey guys, in town with family. will read through the thread soon, but thinking about going to see the Yotes either thursday (vs ducks) or saturday (vs cats), any general pro tips (good eats in the area, craft brews, etc)?

thanks in advance!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
hey guys, in town with family. will read through the thread soon, but thinking about going to see the Yotes either thursday (vs ducks) or saturday (vs cats), any general pro tips (good eats in the area, craft brews, etc)?

thanks in advance!

Yard House at Westgate has a phenomenal happy hour and an amazing selection of brews on tap. I'd highly recommend it. Its phenomenal happy hour isn't exactly a secret though, so expect it to be very crowded! Last time I was there I had to wait 30 minutes for a table.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The shout house is a lot of fun after the game too, it's a dueling piano bar. You get to drunkenly sing, or if you're the DD you get to watch drunk people sing, so it's a good thing either way.

gfas

Feb 29, 2016

Good point, I think I'll go to that one. Thanks for the input everyone.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
NYR fan here. Going to visit Gila River Arena on 4/2. This will be arena #26 out of 30. Will be rooting for ARI, against WSH. I've read that there is a lot to do right outside the arena, but are there any cool things within the arena I should check out, e.g. plaque wall, statues, trophies, etc? Also are there any special food stand that are worth checking out inside the arena? Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad