OT: Official Adult Hockey League Talk, Pt. 2

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I know it is a ways out, but does anyone know if the normal daily pickups at Sharks Ice will be going on during the week after Xmas? I am coming into town for the holidays and am debating bringing my gear with me to get one or two skates in.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I know it is a ways out, but does anyone know if the normal daily pickups at Sharks Ice will be going on during the week after Xmas? I am coming into town for the holidays and am debating bringing my gear with me to get one or two skates in.

No idea, but you should definitely bring it and come skate with one of my teams! There is a Wednesday night pick up at Valco that usually has spots open. It may be going on that week too.

You should also bring your soccer cleats next weekend. And goalie gloves...

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

Im pretty sure they take advantage of people having time off and coming home. Though I cant say for sure

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
anyone here frequent the morning gretzky hours? I've been thinking of going once a week but I heard (DrAcula) that they always end up doing full ice scrimmage, which i don't want to do. At laest not for the first 30 min or so.

ChokingV

Mar 25, 2006
Downtown SJ

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
No idea, but you should definitely bring it and come skate with one of my teams! There is a Wednesday night pick up at Valco that usually has spots open. It may be going on that week too.

Ha! Just saw this. Didn't make it home for thanksgiving obviously but I'm down for Xmas time. you have a league(s) running then?

I'm currently set to fly back the Friday after Xmas but depending on things may look to push it back into the weekend.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
We were wondering the same thing, so who knows. Even Beer, their opponents, didn't really know what was going on. They lost their minds in a bad way in that game I linked to, so it wouldn't surprise me. Something HAS to happen when a team takes so many penalties, right?

When you out ****** Beer, something is up

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

How is the competition on the Wed. night pick-up games at Valco? What time? I am learning that the skill level of these games locally can be all over the place. I have played at Valco on the Mon. & Fri. lunchtime pick-up games and I was not terribly out of place (i.e worst player on the ice, but not by much). I played in the Sat. night pick-up at Ice Oasis last week and actually felt bad for the guys whose team I was on because the level of play was so far over my head. - those guys are good!

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
How is the competition on the Wed. night pick-up games at Valco? What time? I am learning that the skill level of these games locally can be all over the place. I have played at Valco on the Mon. & Fri. lunchtime pick-up games and I was not terribly out of place (i.e worst player on the ice, but not by much). I played in the Sat. night pick-up at Ice Oasis last week and actually felt bad for the guys whose team I was on because the level of play was so far over my head. - those guys are good!

Just keep playing, it's an open session for a reason.

My first time on skates with pads was at a sharks ice gretzky hour, and of course there were a lot of very good players (sj state, etc) there. And of course they decide to scrim instead of just practice. And of course no one wants to play D so I'm playing D. They were really cool and I won't ever forget that experience. Most guys and groups are, so don't worry if you're not good enough in a pickup game. Hustle out there, try your best, and be open to constructive feedback. Ignore the jerks, because they're few and far between.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for that. Playing against better players is the best way to improve, but playing in situations where you are in way over your head has the potential to be frustrating for all.

What time is the Wed. PM pickup at Valco, it is not listed on the schedule?

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose

The Wed night Valco has some good skaters out there. It used to be a team practice before the pick up, and then the pick up. It isn't posted at Valco because it's an email list pre-paid spot. I have been on the email list for about a year now, but haven't been in a few months.

I wouldn't worry about your skill level being below those you are playing with. I would actually say play above your skill level as often as possible. That's what will make you better. If guys are giving you crap then they are just taking their pick up game too seriously.

iczer34

Dec 2, 2005
Way too many dirty players in the lower levels, it's freak'n ridiculous! Guys with no skills end up hacking and slashing their way through the games - it's frustrating to say the least. I'm not a retaliatory type player but there have been times I've lost my cool, just as most of you have.

Let's see, I've been targeted at least 5-6 separate occasions this season --- cross checks (in the neck), punches (back of the head), slew foots, two-hand slashes (back of legs), body checks. Fortunately, none has resulted in injuries. I've played throughout all the levels at SIAHL, started in EE and played up to B. Never have I've encountered so many dirty plays in such a short span and we're only 10 games into the season! In B division, that would take at least 2 seasons to accumulate.

To all those people whose tried to injure me, I remember your number and I've played more than enough hockey in my life to be sneaky if i wanted to...

Please people, be safe and play clean.

Last edited:

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
So wait, you're good enough to play in B and you're *****ing about your reception playing in the E levels? Maybe **** off back to a division you belong in?

Unless I misread your post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad