OT: Official Adult Hockey League Talk, Pt. 2

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
If someone were to begin playing ice, how much money would they be looking to put out per season? I've played roller all my life and i've always wanted to make the jump over to ice just for the fun of it. I can skate well on ice and all that isn't a problem. I'm just curious how much more i'd have to be looking at, if I can make the move over to ice. Also how long are the seasons and what are the membership fees like over at Sharks Ice?

Teams cost 9700 so your looking at 500+ to 600+ for a 16 +2 preseason and playoffs if you qualify in the spring and 22 +2 preseason and playoffs in the winter

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I just moved to the bay area last month for school and was wondering if it was too late to join a team. Also how do the divisions work? I played prep hockey in New England last year but haven't skated since March so I'm not sure which level I'd be looking to join. Also, is there any way to get open ice in hockey gear on the weekends? I couldn't find any Drop in hockey or Gretzky hours.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I just moved to the bay area last month for school and was wondering if it was too late to join a team. Also how do the divisions work? I played prep hockey in New England last year but haven't skated since March so I'm not sure which level I'd be looking to join. Also, is there any way to get open ice in hockey gear on the weekends? I couldn't find any Drop in hockey or Gretzky hours.

Welcome to the Bay Area!

The best place to start is here:
http://www.sharksiceatsanjose.com/hockey/adult_hockey/freeagents.asp

Put your name on the FA list. We are about a third into the fall/winter season. Most teams are probably filled up but there are likely some teams still looking for a player.

You can also sign up and query on the league facebook page (SIAHL Players) at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/196830117020460/

During fall/winter season there aren't many drop-in/gretzky sessions. There tends to be more in Spring/Summer when there is a little bit more ice availability. The only options are the lunch time drop-ins at lunch during the week.

Free free to PM me with any other questions. I co-captain three different teams and also know a lot of players/teams at all different levels.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Welcome to the Bay Area!

The best place to start is here:
http://www.sharksiceatsanjose.com/hockey/adult_hockey/freeagents.asp

Put your name on the FA list. We are about a third into the fall/winter season. Most teams are probably filled up but there are likely some teams still looking for a player.

You can also sign up and query on the league facebook page (SIAHL Players) at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/196830117020460/

During fall/winter season there aren't many drop-in/gretzky sessions. There tends to be more in Spring/Summer when there is a little bit more ice availability. The only options are the lunch time drop-ins at lunch during the week.

Free free to PM me with any other questions. I co-captain three different teams and also know a lot of players/teams at all different levels.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I actually grew up here but just moved back after high school. That sucks there's no open ice at more convenient times but I'll try to find a way.

Last edited:

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
What a bump. I guess everyone stopped playing hockey.

I'll be in town this weekend late Friday afternoon through Sunday morning. Anyone know of any potential pickups that would be available during that time, other than Saturday morning?

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Just FYI that I know a few teams still looking to fill a remaining spot or two for the Winter season that is just starting up. Teams I know are in DD-DDDD. If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
So the new divisions seem to have put a stop to ringers]

lol

Boy is that working wonders or what?!? Lol. I love how no one knows the divisons anymore. I’m a captain and I still forget what division my team is in. DD/DDD is what I still say.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Local players!!! Anyone have deets on the new valco rink in the plans? Owners, league, etc? I want to join another league but I hate playing 5v5 on the current valco ice. My weekly pickup game is 4v4 and waaaay funner there.

undercovernerd

Apr 18, 2014
Bend, OR / Bay Area, CA
Anyone here who plays locally willing to answer a few questions for me and maybe show me the ropes?

This is something I’ve been wanting to get into for quite sometime. Now, I have a daughter whom I want to eventually get into hockey when she’s of age. I really want to get some experience playing so I can help her out one day.

I live in San Ramon and there’s an ice rink here that I’ve been wanting to practice my skating on. How good must one be for the pure beginner division?

Reactions: slocal

RickyHP

May 9, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Anyone here who plays locally willing to answer a few questions for me and maybe show me the ropes?

This is something I’ve been wanting to get into for quite sometime. Now, I have a daughter whom I want to eventually get into hockey when she’s of age. I really want to get some experience playing so I can help her out one day.

I live in San Ramon and there’s an ice rink here that I’ve been wanting to practice my skating on. How good must one be for the pure beginner division?

do you skate at the trivalley blue devils rink in dublin? I grew up in san ramon and I used to go down there and skate for hours, daily. There were always pick up games. I'm sure a lot has changed, however, but it's always worth a shot.

undercovernerd

Apr 18, 2014
Bend, OR / Bay Area, CA
do you skate at the trivalley blue devils rink in dublin? I grew up in san ramon and I used to go down there and skate for hours, daily. There were always pick up games. I'm sure a lot has changed, however, but it's always worth a shot.

I just moved here so I have to check it out. We’re the pickup games during the freestyle or open public times?

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff

Call your local rink and ask about their hockey schedule. If you're serious, I would invest in a pair of decent skates to start off. Don't just buy off the internet. Go to hockey x-sport in Oakland and try to find someone who appears to know what they're talking about in sizing you up. You won't know what boot fits you best until you try it on, so let that be your primary condition - not the aesthetics. While you're there, get your equipment. They'll price match internet too so don't worry, just try shit on. I suggest the lighter, more mobile equipment. You're not going to be getting checked (regularly at least).

For sticks - do some homework on them. There's plenty of resources. I'm right handed, but shoot left. This is the way most Canadians are. Most Americans shoot right. Maybe that stat has changed since I started playing over a decade ago, but what evs. My feeling was what felt right stick handling, not shooting. I had to learn how to distribute my weight on my weaker side which took some time. This is a personal thing, play around with each side in the store. They usually have a ball and sample sticks. For other stick stats, I would recommend a high-flex stick relative to your height, which is represented with a lower number (ie, 67 is a whip compared to 115). A higher flex will allow you to learn to feel the stick and load its power. Once you get comfortable with those mechanics you can move up to a stiffer stick and get more power. A basic p92 curve (p92 is CCM, but each manufacture has an equivalent) is what I'd start with. Its a very balanced curve. The lie will depend on your height.

If you already know how to skate, go put some miles on your skates. If you don't, find a learn to skate program (either private or group) and get taught the basics. fine open skate/gretzky hours and play with the puck on your stick. The learning curve is steep, be warned. There are many things you're going to have to learn to do at once to actually play the game on ice. Skating, stick handling, passing, shooting, etc...all these take time to get right. I would suggest focusing on skating, then stick handling, etc. Its not that you can't do all the other things, but each skill relies on the previous one. There's a lot of these prerequisite skills you'll discover. Don't cheat (too much)!

That should get you started! Happy to answer anything else you may wanna know.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad