OT: Official Adult Hockey League Talk, Pt. 2

jon y

Aug 20, 2011
Hey, what's up? That was a good game. By the way, I gave your guy a blocker to the shoulder because he tomahawk slashed me on my glove hand when I was covering the puck. I can tolerate the post-cover sweep poke, but the overhand slash is not cool.

Whenever I see the opposing goalie attack my forward, I just assume the forward deserved it. Do what you gotta do to protect yourself and your crease. I know I do. Then again, that's the kind of thinking that got me ejected from a game last season.

Good game and sweet Kohos. Probably won't play you again though. Looks like you got moved to the other conference.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Roll call?

I'm that guy who plays on two teams and is not good at hockey.

Saucy Dangles

Apr 11, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm the guy that has played descent hockey in his career and is now looking to enjoy the game for its simpler side. Yet when others play against me, they love to go extra hard to show me that they can play with me. Like to thank all the heavy stick workers (slashers, hackers & bender/plugs) and bench chirpers for reminding me why gloves still get shook, nightly yard sales on the ice still happen in beer league games. ;)

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I'm the guy that has played descent hockey in his career and is now looking to enjoy the game for its simpler side. Yet when others play against me, they love to go extra hard to show me that they can play with me. Like to thank all the heavy stick workers (slashers, hackers & bender/plugs) and bench chirpers for reminding me why gloves still get shook, nightly yard sales on the ice still happen in beer league games. ;)

Hmmm you must have been watching my game last night :laugh:

And it's still just preseason...

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007

I'm one of the many who's not nearly as good as Saucy Dangles.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Anyone know anything about the woodland roller hockey place? I'm starting with roller before moving up.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Not sure what that means lol.

I think he's implying that you're implying that Roller < Ice.

Which, btw, is true.

That said, its a bad idea to start in roller if you know you're gonna transition to ice. May as well just start where you want to end up. Several roller habits are hard to break when making the switch.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I honestly don't think I'll play roller long enough to develop habits. I'm just getting my feet wet and seeing where I'm at. And since I'll be in Sacramento, I don't know if there is much ice hockey around there. As it is I'm driving 40 min to woodland lol.

I think he's implying that you're implying that Roller < Ice.

Which, btw, is true.

That said, its a bad idea to start in roller if you know you're gonna transition to ice. May as well just start where you want to end up. Several roller habits are hard to break when making the switch.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Nvm I just looked. There is an ice league in Roseville. Thought the player fee is 3x that of roller lol.

Saucy Dangles

Apr 11, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'm one of the many who's not nearly as good as Saucy Dangles.

I'm sure your just fine. As long as your enjoying the game, I'm happy. Thats the point I'm at with hockey. I actually get joy out of seeing new people and people that are still learning the game (technically we all are still learning no matter how long or how good you are) and that this game is growing in this state. When I started playing it back in the 80's, no one played it, and those who did, I knew them (like a small fraternity). Now I couldn't tell you how many people play this game now as it is the 2nd fastest and largest growing sports in the US, and top in California. Glad to finally see this game get some recognition as well as the youth and players coming out of this state. :nod:

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
So serious question. Never played hockey before, but like to consider myself fairly athletic, what's the best way to get started? Just sign up for the lowest level and see what happens? Go practice skating for a bit? The idea of going out there and absolutely embarrassing myself is petrifying :help:

Dr Acula

May 1, 2009
First go to a shop and get skates properly fitted, and then attend a few public skate sessions. Search online for some instructional videos, and do some dryland stickhandling with a ball at home. Once you are competent enough on your skates (not falling, being able to at least do a snowplow stop), sign up for a beginner adult hockey class. Also go to stick and puck, aka Gretzky hour to work on your stickhandling, shot and dodging the hundreds of children running around out there. Avoid going to drop-in until you're comfortable with doing all these things at the same time - you'll get in the way and it won't be any fun for you.

Good luck and have fun! It takes a lot of practice but it's totally worth it. :)

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Thanks for the info, yeah i just graduated college and no longer have baseball or football to occupy all of my free time. Figured it was time to try something new and challenging. I've always loved hockey so i figure it made more sense to give it a try rather than join a beer league softball team or play pick up basketball

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad