[Official] Adirondack Flames Thread (Also some ECHL talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Van Brabant with the breakaway goal. Baertschi gets the Dr. Singh Plastic Surgery assist on the play.

Hanowski makes it 5-4. Baertschi with another assist.

This Adirondack team is really fun to watch.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Van Brabant with a breakaway goal on the PP and Hanowski with a quick one to make it 5-4 Utica; I thought Baertschi was playing well (making smart plays; had a few chances) in the second period up until taking a tripping penalty with about 3 mins left.

Edit: GTPO beat me to the punch lol and yeah, very entertaining hockey.. sort of bouncing between the game and my homework, but have the audio on. Wotherspoon is another player I've been impressed with in the few shifts of his I've seen, good puck control and looks very composed out there

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Van Brabant with the breakaway goal. Baertschi gets the Dr. Singh Plastic Surgery assist on the play.

Hanowski makes it 5-4. Baertschi with another assist.

This Adirondack team is really fun to watch.

:laugh: haha its hilarious how every single aspect of the game is sponsored, like how every penalty is a plug for that law firm lol

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Every single penalty.

And now Sven Baertschi has tripped up his man, so he'll be going to the Stanclift Law penalty box!

Haha, that'd be the one :D

Edit: speaking of the Stanclift Law penalty box, the A-Flames have 5-on-3 for a buck thirty. Good chance to tie it here..

Edit: Ugh.. Poirier off the post and Hanowski off the crossbar..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
http://www.wiz1.net/channel51

Poirier's back, and he's already scored.

Ortio just got pulled. Kinda worried about the guy.
I think people might be too high on Ortio, they made the mistake of looking at Reto Berra's AHL numbers then Ortio's AHL numbers and assumed Ortio was playing so much better. He really wasn't. He played well, but he was not on another level as some would like to believe.

I said it last year and no one seemed to listen and I will say it again, after the month of October coach Ward changed the system. I am sure other people can attest to the fact that I constantly *****ed and complained about all the backdoor plays and odd man rushes the team was allowing, I had never seen so many. Coach Ward being Coach Ward likely felt the same because he changed the system the team was employing and tightened up the defense after about the first month of the season. IMO Berra was the number one reason the Heat kept their heads above water in October of last year. I honestly believe if Ortio was the Heat's goaltender through October last year the result would be quite similar to this year. But that is not a shot at Ortio, it is a result of the system.

I firmly believe the system the Flames play is not a system that is good for young players, especially an entire team of young players. Our system encourages the defensemen to join the play and these kids get to be like a little kids at Christmas, they see a chance and their eyes get wide and they go for it. Which is what we encourage, however their ability to read the play is not as good as older defensemen. In addition older forwards will also read the plays better and get back to cover for the pinching defenseman.

This is just my opinion, I cold very well be wrong. But the little bit I have seen this year looks eerily similar to what I was seeing last year to start the year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also about Utica, they have the best goaltending in the AHL. Not might havem they definitely have the best in the AHL. Markstrom has been amazing for them to start, he is 4-0-1 with a .963 SV% and a GAA of 0.99. Eriksson is 2-1-1 with mediocre numbers, but from what I saw last year he is an incredible young goaltender.

Tonight is only the 2nd time the Comets have allowed more than 3 goals, the only other was a 4-3 overtime loss.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Also about Utica, they have the best goaltending in the AHL. Not might havem they definitely have the best in the AHL. Markstrom has been amazing for them to start, he is 4-0-1 with a .963 SV% and a GAA of 0.99. Eriksson is 2-1-1 with mediocre numbers, but from what I saw last year he is an incredible young goaltender.

Tonight is only the 2nd time the Comets have allowed more than 3 goals, the only other was a 4-3 overtime loss.

Yeah, I recently saw something about Markstrom nearly breaking the AHL shutout record.. Eriksson has looked more than capable in tonight's game from what I've seen, but the A-Flames aren't making his job very difficult, especially in the third period here, despite all of the powerplays..

EDIT: Man, has that PP gone straight cold after the past two games eh, AF? 1/8 tonight (so far..)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
not that it matter much in the grand scheme, just found it interesting. The AHL website officially lists Hanowski as a RW now.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I don't know what management were thinking going into the season with such an inexperienced team. Young guys have talent, but need some guidance and seasoned vets who can take responsibility.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Scoring
1. UTI DeFazio, (4) (Archibald), 0:37
1. UTI Jensen, (3) (Biega, O'Reilly), 2:01
1. ADK Poirier, (1) (Arnold, Sieloff), 14:38
1. UTI Andersson, (2) (Sanguinetti), 15:05
2. UTI Grenier, (3) (O'Reilly, Jensen), 2:15 (PP)
2. ADK Poirier, (2) (Arnold, Stevenson), 4:29
2. UTI Bancks, (3) (Hamilton), 7:37
2. ADK Van Brabant, (2) (Reinhart, Thiessen), 13:03 (PP)
2. ADK Hanowski, (3) (Knight, Baertschi), 15:50

PLAYERS | Position | *G* | *A* | +/- | SH | PIM
*Kulak, Brett | D | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
*Wotherspoon, Tyler | D | 0 | 0 | -2 | 1 | 0 |
*Stevenson, Dustin | D | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0 |
*Hathaway, Garnet | RW | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |
*Knight, Corban | C | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 0 |
*Elson, Turner | C | 0 | 0 | -2 | 1 | 0 |
*Agostino, Ken | LW | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
*Tousignant, Mathieu | C | 0 | 0 | -2 | 0 | 0 |
*Poirier, Emile | RW | 2 | 0 | 1 | 3 | 0 |
*Reinhart, Max | C | 0 | 1 | -1 | 1 | 0 |
*Baertschi, Sven | LW | 0 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
*Hanowski, Ben | RW | 1 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |
*Sieloff, Patrick | D | 0 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
*Yonkman, Nolan | D | 0 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
*Potter, Corey | D | 0 | 0 | -2 | 1 | 0 |
*Wolf, David | LW | 0 | 0 | -1 | 0 | 9 |
*Arnold, Bill | C | 0 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
*Van Brabant, Bryce | LW | 1 | 0 | -2 | 1 | 2 |

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know what management were thinking going into the season with such an inexperienced team. Young guys have talent, but need some guidance and seasoned vets who can take responsibility.
I people thought I was nuts when I was vocal about letting all the veteran forwards go.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
At least they made it interesting.. Too much dilly-dallying in the third period, though; Utica controlled the play for the most part. There were a couple bright spots in the game though: offense still seems to be rolling, it was good to see Poirier pot a couple in his first game back. I was really impressed with certain guys I hadn't really seen play, namely Van Brabant and Potter. Hanowski played really well tonight too, and suffice it to say, that score might've been a heckuva different story if it weren't for Thiessen.

EDIT: forgot to mention Baertschi, who I thought played good tonight as well from what I saw. Was really strong on the puck, and used his body well. Really stood out as one of the better forwards, which is encouraging to say the least.

Last edited:

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I people thought I was nuts when I was vocal about letting all the veteran forwards go.
Don't know if I posted about it, but I definitely agreed with that sentiment. We're basically turning our AHL team into the Oilers. I appreciate the youth movement but you've gotta give the young players some older guys to rely on when the going gets tough. Of course the problem is only worsened when we have to gut the A-team by calling up their best players(well, best forwards) when NHL Flames get injured.

This team seriously needs some Ben Streets, Krys Kolanos and Blair Jones types.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't know if I posted about it, but I definitely agreed with that sentiment. We're basically turning our AHL team into the Oilers. I appreciate the youth movement but you've gotta give the young players some older guys to rely on when the going gets tough. Of course the problem is only worsened when we have to gut the A-team by calling up their best players(well, best forwards) when NHL Flames get injured.

This team seriously needs some Ben Streets, Krys Kolanos and Blair Jones types.
I'd settle for just one of them to be honest. Tousignant, Gillies, Potter and Yonkman give some veteran leadership. But there needs to be someone in the top 9 forwards to help that group when it's needed.

I'd love to bring someone back to North America from Europe, but I don't see it happening.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Awesome to see Poirier get 2 in his first game, that's pretty impressive. If Sven keeps plugging away it, he'll get it going. It's a matter of time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What's wrong with Ortio??
this is what I posted during the game about Ortio. But if you want to skip that, he is being hung out to try.

I think people might be too high on Ortio, they made the mistake of looking at Reto Berra's AHL numbers then Ortio's AHL numbers and assumed Ortio was playing so much better. He really wasn't. He played well, but he was not on another level as some would like to believe.

I said it last year and no one seemed to listen and I will say it again, after the month of October coach Ward changed the system. I am sure other people can attest to the fact that I constantly *****ed and complained about all the backdoor plays and odd man rushes the team was allowing, I had never seen so many. Coach Ward being Coach Ward likely felt the same because he changed the system the team was employing and tightened up the defense after about the first month of the season. IMO Berra was the number one reason the Heat kept their heads above water in October of last year. I honestly believe if Ortio was the Heat's goaltender through October last year the result would be quite similar to this year. But that is not a shot at Ortio, it is a result of the system.

I firmly believe the system the Flames play is not a system that is good for young players, especially an entire team of young players. Our system encourages the defensemen to join the play and these kids get to be like a little kids at Christmas, they see a chance and their eyes get wide and they go for it. Which is what we encourage, however their ability to read the play is not as good as older defensemen. In addition older forwards will also read the plays better and get back to cover for the pinching defenseman.

This is just my opinion, I could very well be wrong. But the little bit I have seen this year looks eerily similar to what I was seeing last year to start the year.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I thought Ortio would face a challenging year this year with so many inexperienced Dmen.

Good to see Poirier back, and right where he left off from the playoffs last year.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Last nights highlights. Poirier with the first two goals... (First one is an absolute rocket!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille