Official 8th Baseball ATD Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
Wow Santana is a shocker.

Santana is a great pick if one values peak performance. At his best he was actually one of the best starters ever, and not dissimilar to a guy like Kershaw or Koufax in many respects. I was actually considering taking him over Mauer, but needed one of the only high-end catchers left (the only top ten all-time guy remaining), in a clear case of positional need, over another starter.

Was really hoping that he would be around next round. :(

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
Santana is a good example of a guy that's undervalued because we all witnessed his decline...which was completely injury related.

If you are objective and look at his stats, he will be remembered much more favourably in upcoming years.

JaysCyYoung makes good points. Santana was very dominant at his peak and while it wasn't as good as Koufax's, it was a longer peak and Santana actually had a better ERA+ (136 vs 131). Both pitchers pitched 12 years (Koufax pitched a couple hundred more innings).

In no way am I saying Santana was as good as Koufax, but also don't dismiss Santana because of his 2012 season.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Santana is a great pick. He had that great 4 year peak.

Shame for the injuries.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Nomar is one of my favorite players of all time. Its too bad his wrists ruined him. I also find it a bit ****** he didn't get to to win the title in 2004. The worst part of his injury induced decline was that it allowed Jeter to "win" the rivalry despite being inferior in every way.

I was a little bit saddened to see Nomar get dropped off the ballot unceremoniously this season. He deserved a better fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad