Prospect Info: [Official]: 2017 Draft Thread

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like no real consensus between 5-20...some "highly ranked" prospect is going to fall to the Flames.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So apparently Bob's list was 'leaked' earlier today on TSN.ca and quickly taken down.
Someone on this board managed to screen cap and post it:

https://imgur.com/a/9tvzU

Looks like Liljegren might actually be a Calgary pick :laugh: at least based on this.
Suzuki @ 12
Andersson @ 13

There's a chance one might fall. This is going to be a really interesting draft.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I've heard NJ want Heiskanen or Makar.

Makar skates like Scotty, maybe that's why?

If New Jersey picks either D over Hiescher or Patrick I will lol. Dallas could then pick the other D and Colorado could end up with Patrick or Hiescher.

I sort of hope that happens to see everyone go crazy since it won't affect our draftee.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
If a faller doesn't happen at 16, I wouldn't mind trading down to recoup a pick, then picking someone like Robert Thomas.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
TSN has Liljegren going at #16...Easy pick to make imo. Top pairing potential in the mold of Karlsson or Doughty and a RHS. Imagine this in the future:

Brodie-Hamilton
Giordano-Liljegren
X-Stone

Even then, RHS offensively gifted dmen are highly valued. so a return on him, barring developmental setback, would be quite high if we had greater needs elsewhere.

The only other faller I'd take would be Tippett, which is doubtful as he's ranked pretty high by most. But that would be going purely on our need for a power RW. I think Liljegren will adapt to playing against men next year and a lot of people will kick themselves for not drafting him if he falls to the flames.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
On this spreadsheet they have Kostin as a RHS but other web sites have him as a LHS.
Just keeping a eye on him due to the "swing for the fences" quote.
I think Calgary will take him @16
High risk high reward.

If Calgary takes him at #16, I will be fine with it, but somewhat disappointed they didn't trade back and get Kostin later in the first, and another pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
On this spreadsheet they have Kostin as a RHS but other web sites have him as a LHS.

klim-kostin-header-credit-aaron-bell-chl-images.jpg

Left shot.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
TSN has Liljegren going at #16...Easy pick to make imo. Top pairing potential in the mold of Karlsson or Doughty and a RHS. Imagine this in the future:

Brodie-Hamilton
Giordano-Liljegren
X-Stone

Even then, RHS offensively gifted dmen are highly valued. so a return on him, barring developmental setback, would be quite high if we had greater needs elsewhere.

The only other faller I'd take would be Tippett, which is doubtful as he's ranked pretty high by most. But that would be going purely on our need for a power RW. I think Liljegren will adapt to playing against men next year and a lot of people will kick themselves for not drafting him if he falls to the flames.

I really like Liljegren.
I would be ecstatic about that pick. Major upside, on a kid who was sick/injured.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Topic of discussion just because: if we were to draft Kostin, would you guys want him marinating for another year in the KHL, or coming to acclimate to NA in the AHL right away? I think an argument can be made for either.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Topic of discussion just because: if we were to draft Kostin, would you guys want him marinating for another year in the KHL, or coming to acclimate to NA in the AHL right away? I think an argument can be made for either.

I would send him to junior. Either MHL or CHL, doesn't matter, but he needs minutes where he can develop his offensive game instead of just playing 8 minutes on the 4th line of a pro team.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

I'd want him to go unsigned so we can gain a compensation pick a few years down the road.

That's how little I want to draft Kostin.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I would send him to junior. Either MHL or CHL, doesn't matter, but he needs minutes where he can develop his offensive game instead of just playing 8 minutes on the 4th line of a pro team.

Well considering he has said he won't play in the CHL, it's either AHL or KHL. Even though I agree with you, he really should play in a league where he can play 20+ minutes a night as the go-to guy rather than as a 3rd/4th liner.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Russians are at their best playing their game until they are 22-23 and then adjusting to NHL nuances after. Part of it is the language barrier - it's one thing to come over as a developed adult, it's a whole nothing to not only have to learn the NA game but learn it while not knowing the language it is being taught to year while still learning how to simply play at a high level consistency.

One step at a time:

1) Learn to play at high level (KHL) consistently
2) Learn enough English to hang with the concepts being pushed in the NHL
3) Learn the dump and chase that NHL coaches loveee.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Looking at McKenzies list the only guy in the top 17 I don't want is Tippett. Everyone else is really interesting. Hoping for Suzuki, Andersson, or Tolvanen or a forward faller. I really like Valimaki if we decide to pick a D.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I'd want him to go unsigned so we can gain a compensation pick a few years down the road.

That's how little I want to draft Kostin.

I'm not that pessimistic about him, but I agree with the broad sentiment. No idea why people are getting excited about him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Looking at McKenzies list the only guy in the top 17 I don't want is Tippett. Everyone else is really interesting. Hoping for Suzuki, Andersson, or Tolvanen or a forward faller. I really like Valimaki if we decide to pick a D.

I'd probably cry tears of joy if we got to draft Tippett at 18. I think he's a sure fire NHL'er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad