Prospect Info: [Official]: 2017 Draft Thread

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Mittelstadt, there is no way he falls that far. Plus Sam can give him some advice on pull-ups

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Let's get a tally going, five fallers ALL on the table at 16, who you got?

A) Casey Middelstadt (concerns about pullups)
B) Timothy Liljegren (Concerns about floor)
C) Martin Necas (concerns about obscurity)
D) Lias Andersson (Concerns about ceiling)
E) Nick Suzuki (Concerns abot skating)

Pick one. Only one. The other four becomes a Leaf, A Bruin, A Shark, A Blue

Necas.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Let's get a tally going, five fallers ALL on the table at 16, who you got?

A) Casey Middelstadt (concerns about pullups)
B) Timothy Liljegren (Concerns about floor)
C) Martin Necas (concerns about obscurity)
D) Lias Andersson (Concerns about ceiling)
E) Nick Suzuki (Concerns abot skating)

Pick one. Only one. The other four becomes a Leaf, A Bruin, A Shark, A Blue

Reverse Sophie's choice right there. If I just had to pick one, let's go with Suzuki since he's got the young right shot forward thing going on (and I'm not that familiar with Necas).

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'll go with Suzuki.

Having looked at multiple draft boards online I honestly don't have a clue who the Flames will pick because outside the top 2/3 every board is so vastly different with ranks. Guys all have a variance of like 10-20 spots after 3, it's quite possibly the most wide open draft in a while.

Tonight's draft will be a lot more interesting than previous drafts I think.

Like honestly, all 5 of those guys could potentially be our pick (ie. one of the 5 drop, not all 5) depending on other teams lists.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm also on board with Suzuki first and foremost as I do believe has has strong potential to be a real top-6 contributor, but this draft just seems more crapshoot-y than the past decade's worth so I definitely don't have a very strong read/inclination on the other kids.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I also remember when you said: Connor Brown > Clayton Keller

Funny cause it was basically the same crowd last year that bought into the 'Tkachuk is a complimentary player" BS last year. Logan Brown actually. I never said he was better than Keller or Jost. Always added the caveat I never watched those guys play outside of a feed games in the U18s.

If Tkachuk/Dubois wasn't there I wanted Sergachyev.

I did prefer Brown to Nylander though. Which I stand by. He's definitely been dissapointing but he was pretty dominant at the memorial cup. I expect him to have a big WJC this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm just giving you a hard time, but 100% you stated multiple times that you would have taken Brown over Keller or Nylander (go bump it). I also stated I thought Keller and Nylander might end up both being better scorers than Tkachuk. While Nylander had a somewhat frustrating year, it's clear Tkachuk is head and shoulders better than him. But I think Keller might end up being the best scorer of all them and despite everything I am still very high on Nylander.

Also, Lias Andersson being taken where he was in this draft does not mean a whole lot. All it says is that the Rangers really liked him. Mittelstadt and Vilardi will both be better players IMO.

I also think Valimaki is a better prospect than Andersson.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tolvanen has 6 points (3G/3A) in 3 games in the KHL... how did he fall?

He had 30 G in 52 games in the USHL (which is a much tougher league to score in then the CHL IMO. very good prospects like White, Boeser and Fox were all around a PPG in their draft years and yet, fell; the USHL is still underrated for talent)

Also, speaking of the USHL, watch out for Andre Svechnikov. He had 29G and 29 A in 48 games in his draft minus one season. I think he's probably the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin or Malkin.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Tolvanen has 6 points (3G/3A) in 3 games in the KHL... how did he fall?

He had 30 G in 52 games in the USHL (which is a much tougher league to score in then the CHL IMO. very good prospects like White, Boeser and Fox were all around a PPG in their draft years and yet, fell; the USHL is still underrated for talent)

Also, speaking of the USHL, watch out for Andre Svechnikov. He had 29G and 29 A in 48 games in his draft minus one season. I think he's probably the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin or Malkin.

Getting a little excited there Snipes. 3 games is 3 games. Plenty of players have had strong stretches of games. There's no question Tolvanen has skill, but obviously plenty of teams saw red flags. Whether it's attitude, his school issues or otherwise.

Also why bring this thread back instead of Around the NHL or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->