Prospect Info: [Official]: 2017 Draft Thread

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Suzuki will fall to us and all these arguments about ceilings and safe picks will be moot.

I BELIEVE

(Really, though, I can feel it in my waters that we're picking Poehling... uh oh.)

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
How much of Andersson have you actually watched?

I don't know, maybe ten minutes worth of highlights and some WJC? As much as pretty much anyone else in this forum. I also don't see what "how much I've watched" of a kid has to do with the strictly numerical/basic information argument I made about him.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't know, maybe ten minutes worth of highlights and some WJC? As much as pretty much anyone else in this forum. I also don't see what "how much I've watched" of a kid has to do with the strictly numerical/basic information argument I made about him.

I watched three or four Jönköping games during their run. I think his upside is basically Backlund, he took hard matchups from what I could tell although I'm not very familiar with SHL.

His scoring is not really what should excite teams about drafting him, although 0.5ppg in the SHL is not bad for an 18-year-old. What should excite people is that he won a championship in one of the better leagues in the world taking hard matchups at centre while a teenager.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I watched three or four Jönköping games during their run. I think his upside is basically Backlund, he took hard matchups from what I could tell although I'm not very familiar with SHL.

His scoring is not really what should excite teams about drafting him, although 0.5ppg in the SHL is not bad for an 18-year-old. What should excite people is that he won a championship in one of the better leagues in the world taking hard matchups at centre while a teenager.

I have not watched Andersson but wouldn't his upside be more Zetterberg/Bergeron tier with the success you describe?

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Backlund turned out a great two way player but he was drafted with more offensive upside than what finally he became. I know there were top line projections thrown around and I recall that he actually fell pretty hard in the draft, making Backlund more similar to Liljegren than Andersson.

(Since I didnt really speak english back then, here´s what I know from this video)

Backlund fell due too knew problems (good Liljegren comparison)
Was ranked 15th by TSN
CGY traded down, 18th (Ian Cole) --> 24th (Backs) + #70
Backlund wasnt nearly as sexy back then as he is now :sarcasm:

If Andersson is there at #16, I could definitely see him being taken by the Flames.
If he and Rasmus both make the NHL it will be pretty funny and awkward at times I imagine - especially for commentators.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I have not watched Andersson but wouldn't his upside be more Zetterberg/Bergeron tier with the success you describe?

I wouldn't necessarily say so, I tend to shy away from saying guys have sky-high ceilings like that even if they're going to be a first-round pick. I think he has a lower ceiling than a lot of the guys in his draft range but I'd put his odds of reaching it well above 50 percent.

I think the "safe pick" idea absolutely applies to Andersson because of the success he's already having in a men's league. The good news is that his upside is pretty great for a safe pick. If you have a guy with a better than 50 percent chance to be a Mikael Backlund, you take him.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I really don't like that Vegas moved in front of us twice. That just hurt the chances of us getting a faller, I think with them having nothing and a horrible roster they might be more inclined to take guys with boom or bust potential. Still hoping for Suzuki or Liljegren.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It took Backlund until his draft +2 season to put up .5ppg in Sweden. And that was in Allavenskan (teir 2).

But sure he has elite potential and Lias Andersson doesnt :laugh:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's this years Tkachuk. Somwhow he got labeled as 'not elite' or in Tkachuks case 'complimentary player'. His production and eye test say otherwise

Again, I'll ask this question. Find me players that had more success in the SHL in their draft year that Lias? I honestly can't think of anyone...

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really don't like that Vegas moved in front of us twice. That just hurt the chances of us getting a faller, I think with them having nothing and a horrible roster they might be more inclined to take guys with boom or bust potential. Still hoping for Suzuki or Liljegren.

Hm, I am not so sure of that. Historically, teams with more 1st rounders seem to be more willing to take guys a little higher than they might otherwise, more willing to ignore consensus. Look at Bostons '15 draft or Calgarys '13 drafts for example.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Hm, I am not so sure of that. Historically, teams with more 1st rounders seem to be more willing to take guys a little higher than they might otherwise, more willing to ignore consensus. Look at Bostons '15 draft or Calgarys '13 drafts for example.

That's true hopefully they want Poehling. I don't necessarily dislike him but he does seem to be the biggest question mark that I could see the flames taking.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Robert Nilsson, by a hair. Also the Sedins. Not sure who else.

Thank you. Backstom was right around .5 PPG too. I just checked. Putting up .5 PPG in the SHL is not a bad thing. Especially with the capabilities of modern goalies and defences.

Sedins were at .6 PPG. I heard they were okay.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Guys. I am starting to get really worried that drafting Klim Kostin may be a thing that will happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Take Kostin, put him in the AHL.

Finally, we could find out how much Klim can a Klimchuk chuck if a Klimchuk could chuck Klim.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Take Kostin, put him in the AHL.

Finally, we could find out how much Klim can a Klimchuk chuck if a Klimchuk could chuck Klim.

duhamel%2B1.gif

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Guys. I am starting to get really worried that drafting Klim Kostin may be a thing that will happen.

They're not picking a Russian player in the first round or probably any other round IMO. They just don't have the scouting presence there.

Foote, Poehling and Joseph are bigger worries for me.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Only 1 more day until we can all swoon over another top prospect.

Hopefully this prospect turns out to be another Tkachuk, because Tkachuk is BAE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad