Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Both!

Goalies seem to be gone by the 3rd these days, and we really need to grab one. 2 skaters in the first, and a goalie in the 2nd would be amazing.

It's pretty early for goalies since most don't have enough of a built up track record to this point but the initial look doesn't look as promising. If we do go with a goalie I think you would want an 18 year to give some separation between Stolarz. A guy like Godla might make things difficult with ice time down in the AHL.

Another right handed defensemen with solid upside in the pipeline would be good as well. Friedman's really the only one.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
It's pretty early for goalies since most don't have enough of a built up track record to this point but the initial look doesn't look as promising. If we do go with a goalie I think you would want an 18 year to give some separation between Stolarz. A guy like Godla might make things difficult with ice time down in the AHL.

Another right handed defensemen with solid upside in the pipeline would be good as well. Friedman's really the only one.

And Willcox, as a defensive D, IIRC.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And Willcox, as a defensive D, IIRC.

He's a righty as is Alt but I don't consider them to have solid upside like Friedman. Friedman I could see being a middle pairing guy while the other two are more bottom pairing guys.

I would like Carlo but I think he goes somewhere in the 15-25 range.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He's a righty as is Alt but I don't consider them to have solid upside like Friedman. Friedman I could see being a middle pairing guy while the other two are more bottom pairing guys.

I would like Carlo but I think he goes somewhere in the 15-25 range.

Same here on Carlo. He seems like the perfect RD to fill out our future d-core. In an almost perfect world we get, Marner with our 1st pick and pick up Carlo with another 1st round we acquire when dealing Coburn.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Same here on Carlo. He seems like the perfect RD to fill out our future d-core. In an almost perfect world we get, Marner with our 1st pick and pick up Carlo with another 1st round we acquire when dealing Coburn.

Yeah him & Morin would potentially make our defense tough to play against with their size & physicality.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Carlo would be nice as a later 1st, but if we can pull off Marner and Roy, we will be in better shape for it. Really, out of our D prospects, we don't really lack that much size. Sanheim (when he bulks up a bit), Morin and Hagg are all big kids and even someone like Alt with his size could chip in as well. Roy isn't too small, but his game is definitely something you can't ignore.

For the future (if we get 2 1sts):

Marner-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Laughton-Simmonds
Read-Couts-NAK
Leier-Cousins-Goulbourne

Morin-Roy
Hagg-Streit
Ghost-Sanheim
Alt/Schenn

That's a fast and unrelenting team. Just a thought.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I like Carlo, but for some odd reason, Jeremy Roy might be available for the same amount of time as him, and I'd definitely prefer Roy.

My ideal scenario at this point (barring a lottery win) is landing Marner at 4 or 5, and trading Coburn to pick up a 20-30th overall pick to take Roy.

Then in the most perfect of worlds, we land an early-ish 2nd and pick up Jeremy Bracco or Timo Meier.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It depends what Hextall is willing to part with. I think Coburn, Read, MDZ, Schultz, & Bellemare could fetch us some picks back if he's willing to part with a couple of them.

Coburn = 1st+
Read = 1st or 2nd + 3rd
Streit = Same as read
MDZ = 2nd
Schultz = 3rd-4th
Bellemare = 3rd-4th

It would be nice to acquire a bunch of picks. Realistically I can't see Hextall parting with more than 3 of these players. Coburn+MDZ+Schultz are my bets to get traded. I can't see Hextall parting with Read.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I could see Schultz sticking around. I'd like to maybe give MDZ another year and let Ghost get back into the swing of things in the AHL for another year maybe. Bring up Hagg and Morin though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly, I could see Schultz sticking around. I'd like to maybe give MDZ another year and let Ghost get back into the swing of things in the AHL for another year maybe. Bring up Hagg and Morin though.

You won't see two rookie's on our backend next year at least not at the start.

I rather get picks for MDZ & Schultz while not having to give them multi-year/dollar contracts. I think we can find similar players in free agency or pay a little more money for something more proven than those two.

Bellemare's another guy I think should be moved if given a second or third back. He's a good player but he's 30, a UFA, & plays a role that's easy to find in free agency.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I wouldn't give up on MDZ. I think he has a ton more value than a second round pick. He's an RFA that can be qualified for 1.3mil. Berube should be playing him 17+ minutes a night and designing plays for him instead of scratching him.

Schultz may be playing himself into a larger longer contract than what works for the Flyers. He could really help usher in one of the rookies, but his agent might try to bank-in.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If we can get a 2015 2nd for MDZ then I'd probably do it. He's really not that good at all, the thing is that he's better than a couple of our Dmen, which really isn't saying much. He's not very good defensively, he's not much of a PP quarterback, and he's not a consistant threat at even strength. His best attributes for us are skating and passing, basically he's not MacD or Grossmann, which is why we want him playing.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I'd be looking to move Schultz. If you all remember, Grossmann looked good for the 1st half season he was here, but has never replicated that play. In Schultz, we have the opportunity to turn nothing into something, even if that something is a 3rd or 4th rounder.

We needs more darts to throw at the draft board.

MadFerIt95*

If we can get a 2015 2nd for MDZ then I'd probably do it. He's really not that good at all, the thing is that he's better than a couple of our Dmen, which really isn't saying much. He's not very good defensively, he's not much of a PP quarterback, and he's not a consistant threat at even strength. His best attributes for us are skating and passing, basically he's not MacD or Grossmann, which is why we want him playing.

Id give him away for a 3rd rounder this year tbh. I agree with you, we're starting to overrate him because he's better than some of our other D men and has played better than we thought he would coming into the season. If we got a 3rd for Mez last year than its reasonable to think we could get that for MDZ.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
If the games are meaningless why watch?

And the Flyers weren't getting Jones even if they had lost their last four games of 12-13. That would have seen them draft 5th, behind Nashville.

I can't speak for everyone, but for those in the tank mind set, I will eat the vegetables now (losses) for my dessert later (cups). If we're gonna have a fluke bad year, lets be baaad. I have no doubt we make the playoffs next year, so let's just drop this year and come back next year with a fresh slate. I watch every game so I can feel what true pain feels like, that way when we win it all, I'll know what it took.

-2 cents from a tank enthusiast

kyuss

May 28, 2012
Id give him away for a 3rd rounder this year tbh. I agree with you, we're starting to overrate him because he's better than some of our other D men and has played better than we thought he would coming into the season. If we got a 3rd for Mez last year than its reasonable to think we could get that for MDZ.

Those two are comparable, but there's some big differences. They both had offensive success early on, but got kicked around due to deficiencies in play. Mez came back around with a decent Flyers team; then he suffered a slew of injuries and played recklessly on a mediocre Flyers team. He was traded as an overpriced UFA. MDZ is four years younger, hasn't suffered serious injuries, earns a little over the veteran minimum, is an RFA at years end, and hasn't had that second chance on a good team.

He's not the savior of the Flyers D, but he's young, cheap, and experienced. That's worth much more than the third round crap shoot, and he deserves a year under a better coach before he leaves for a second rounder.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Coburn = 1st+
Read = 1st or 2nd + 3rd
Streit = Same as read
MDZ = 2nd
Schultz = 3rd-4th
Bellemare = 3rd-4th

It would be nice to acquire a bunch of picks. Realistically I can't see Hextall parting with more than 3 of these players. Coburn+MDZ+Schultz are my bets to get traded. I can't see Hextall parting with Read.

Other than Coburn, those are very optimistic returns.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Those two are comparable, but there's some big differences. They both had offensive success early on, but got kicked around due to deficiencies in play. Mez came back around with a decent Flyers team; then he suffered a slew of injuries and played recklessly on a mediocre Flyers team. He was traded as an overpriced UFA. MDZ is four years younger, hasn't suffered serious injuries, earns a little over the veteran minimum, is an RFA at years end, and hasn't had that second chance on a good team.

He's not the savior of the Flyers D, but he's young, cheap, and experienced. That's worth much more than the third round crap shoot, and he deserves a year under a better coach before he leaves for a second rounder.

He's on a couple of coaches & a couple of teams already. He's the same guy that two teams gave up on last year. He's far from irreplaceable. If someone is willing to give you a second rounder you take it & run as you would be maximizing a replaceable asset.

If Hextall's serious about always looking for ways to acquire more picks MDZ shouldn't be on this roster between sometime now & the deadline. We only have a first & a third (from San Jose so it will be later in the round) in the first three rounds in a pretty good draft overall this year. We're not going to hit on all of them but the more picks you have the better you have of hitting on something outside of the first round.

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yah some of those returns are generous. I have no idea how hexy operates in the trades department, I hope he is smart, cagey. I guess we will see. I do believe his mid, long term plan is clever, based on his seasoning in LA. And if it leads to cup-s, then yah he nailed it, time will tell.
But this team is dysfunctinal at times. Lose games to bad teams, look like a playoff team against strong opponents. As to our selection spot, number of picks it could be anywhere from oh 4 up to the teens, and he will add some number of more picks in 15, anywhere from 1-5. Stay tuned flyers fans, gonna be a bizarre finish for us.

kyuss

May 28, 2012
He's on a couple of coaches & a couple of teams already. He's the same guy that two teams gave up on last year. He's far from irreplaceable. If someone is willing to give you a second rounder you take it & run as you would be maximizing a replaceable asset.

If Hextall's serious about always looking for ways to acquire more picks MDZ shouldn't be on this roster between sometime now & the deadline.

Just because our last GM tossed away second rounders for aged players doesn't mean our current GM has to toss away young players to recoup the seconds. It'd be great to have some extra picks. How likely is it that a second round pick will be as good as MDZ?

And I don't think last season was a judgement season for him. He was traded from the Rags while they were still struggling. AV tried to play him on the opposite side. Preds struggled the entire season. Both teams had D depth most teams don't. He also made more than twice as much money last season.

It's worth it to keep him at least one more year. Get the third next season if he doesn't pan out. I don't want to see him become a #3 Dman with some other team while we're making jokes about the Danish goalie Hextall reached to pick at 82 OA. I also don't want to pay an over the hill stay at home guy twice as much money to take his place next year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just because our last GM tossed away second rounders for aged players doesn't mean our current GM has to toss away young players to recoup the seconds. It'd be great to have some extra picks. How likely is it that a second round pick will be as good as MDZ?

And I don't think last season was a judgement season for him. He was traded from the Rags while they were still struggling. AV tried to play him on the opposite side. Preds struggled the entire season. Both teams had D depth most teams don't. He also made more than twice as much money last season.

It's worth it to keep him at least one more year. Get the third next season if he doesn't pan out. I don't want to see him become a #3 Dman with some other team while we're making jokes about the Danish goalie Hextall reached to pick at 82 OA. I also don't want to pay an over the hill stay at home guy twice as much money to take his place next year.

Del Zotto is young but not that young to where we don't know who he is. The guy isn't very good & isn't something we need to keep. He mostly averages out to be an okay 5-7 guy on a good defense.

He's the same player he's been for years now. He can't play defense, he can't shoot the puck, he plays well for a little bit then plays like garbage the rest of the way, etc. He can skate & depending on if he's playing well or not can pass the puck but that's basically where it stops with him.

Last year & the year before along with this current one are proof in the pudding for Del Zotto. If Timonen doesn't get hurt he likely has to accept a camp offer from someone & if he played like he did with us during training camp he wasn't earning a contract.

If someone overpays for him with a second or third like they did with Mez you take it & run. He's very expandable & the bar isn't exactly set high to where that pick couldn't be better than him. I also don't think its a shoe in he would accept another small deal, the KHL for a couple of years making a lot more money may be more attractive at this point.

kyuss

May 28, 2012
If he went the KHL route, how long could the Flyers retain his rights? This is all asset management as far as I'm concerned. The Flyers need quality defense and they need cap relief. MDZ is the last NHL defenseman I let go after Steit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If he went the KHL route, how long could the Flyers retain his rights? This is all asset management as far as I'm concerned. The Flyers need quality defense and they need cap relief. MDZ is the last NHL defenseman I let go after Steit.

He'd be eligible for UFA at age 27 if he plays in the NHL next year he could be a UFA at age 26 since it would be his 7th year in the league. If he wants to go & get paid for two more years then attempt another comeback with no restrictions it's certainly an option.

Del Zotto might be cheap but calling him quality is a stretch. He's not someone you lose any sleep over along with pretty much everyone on our defense. He's got a price (a second or third) & if they're met he should be sent packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad