OT: Official 2013 ticket thread Part 7 (ALL ticket talk HERE)(RULES IN FIRST POST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slim04

All Things Boston
Mar 11, 2011
Connecticut
StubHub's fees net about 25% plus $2 for etickets, I think...split as 10% to the buyer and 15% to the seller, IIRC. The buyer's fees actually vary - I see a Sox game that has 10%, and a Patriots game that has 15% - but that may be because StubHub is MLB's official reseller. If I recall, the tickets I got for the Bruins last Saturday were only a 5% fee. Was it higher for today? Maybe that, in part, caused the higher ticket prices - but I see "only" a 5% fee for Game 7 as well.

Subtract 5% for the NHL/NBA playoffs, and up to 3% in FanCode reward credits, and the margins aren't that bad. I think 10-20% on a ticket isn't that unfair to StubHub as "insurance". They have excellent support (both on phone and online), and, not to sound like a lame advertisement, but I've had a good experience getting replacement tickets with them.

So, in short, StubHub's policies make it safer to buy online as opposed from Craig's List - plus, considering what else is available on Craig's List.....it's nice to stay away.

StubHub gets 25% of every sale (with the exception of this year's NBA and NHL postseason.) The seller typically pays 15% of the price they enter and the buyer pays 10% above the entered price. Clearly the leagues get their cut as well or they'd never allow this.

MLB is a bit different. Because MLB openly acknowledges (and even endorses StubHub) they tack on an extra $1.50/ticket you sell.

Looks like NFL is different this year. Seller is paying 10% and buyer is paying 15%.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
StubHub gets 25% of every sale (with the exception of this year's NBA and NHL postseason.) The seller typically pays 15% of the price they enter and the buyer pays 10% above the entered price. Clearly the leagues get their cut as well or they'd never allow this.

MLB is a bit different. Because MLB openly acknowledges (and even endorses StubHub) they tack on an extra $1.50/ticket you sell.

Looks like NFL is different this year. Seller is paying 10% and buyer is paying 15%.

No accurate. The other leagues do not get any percentage of the cut. MLB has a deal with stubhub. Many of the other leagues have deals in place with tickets.com or ticketmaster where season ticket holders can re-sell through their site and the team gets a portion of the resale profits.

The Celtics use tickets.com. Sellers can pot their season tickets for any price they want above face. The B's use ticketmaster. The B's don't allow STH's to sell for above face…but they still make a percentage of the roughly 20% up charge that buyers are paying on their end. Many other NHL teams use ticket mast just like the B's do…but they allow sellers to sell for above face.

slim04

All Things Boston
Mar 11, 2011
Connecticut
No accurate. The other leagues do not get any percentage of the cut. MLB has a deal with stubhub. Many of the other leagues have deals in place with tickets.com or ticketmaster where season ticket holders can re-sell through their site and the team gets a portion of the resale profits.

The Celtics use tickets.com. Sellers can pot their season tickets for any price they want above face. The B's use ticketmaster. The B's don't allow STH's to sell for above face…but they still make a percentage of the roughly 20% up charge that buyers are paying on their end. Many other NHL teams use ticket mast just like the B's do…but they allow sellers to sell for above face.

What I should have said is that "I assume" that the leagues/teams get a piece of the 25% fee that StubHub collects on the sale of every ticket. I can't say it with certainty as I don't work there, but can you say with certainty that they don't?

You are correct that teams/leagues have deals with other secondary retail outlets that are "officially endorsed" each with their own rules around how those tickets can be sold and fees applied. As you said the Bruins only allow the seller to post their tickets for what they paid and charge the buyer the fee. The San Jose Sharks allow ticket holders to post for any value above STH price (STH price is the lowest you can post for) and the seller pays a 10% commission.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
What I should have said is that "I assume" that the leagues/teams get a piece of the 25% fee that StubHub collects on the sale of every ticket. I can't say it with certainty as I don't work there, but can you say with certainty that they don't?

You are correct that teams/leagues have deals with other secondary retail outlets that are "officially endorsed" each with their own rules around how those tickets can be sold and fees applied. As you said the Bruins only allow the seller to post their tickets for what they paid and charge the buyer the fee. The San Jose Sharks allow ticket holders to post for any value above STH price (STH price is the lowest you can post for) and the seller pays a 10% commission.

As far as making a percentage/cut of every sale goes? Yes.

MLB is the one and only of the major 4 sports to have a deal in place to make a cut of every sale. There may be teams that take in advertising dollars from SH from stadium ads etc. But no other major sport in this country is making money off every SH sale like MLB is doing.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
If the Bruins advance, plan on another matinee next Saturday. Looks like NBC needs another big event leading up to the Preakness... Check the guide. 1-4pm time slot

There will also be a schedualing wrinkle at some point in the series. I totally agree with the speculation it would begin Saturday. But it can't go every other day, both MSG and the Igloo are booked on Tuesday 5/27, where game 6 lines up.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
There will also be a schedualing wrinkle at some point in the series. I totally agree with the speculation it would begin Saturday. But it can't go every other day, both MSG and the Igloo are booked on Tuesday 5/27, where game 6 lines up.

They can probably either skip a day (EWXEW...) or double up a day (EWEEWE...) depending on which is better for the overall schedule. Or, they could even do "TBD" for both the day and time - game 6 isn't guaranteed to be played, so they may TBD the west, meaning that the west could play on both 5/26 and 5/28 if the east doesn't force a game 6 and force the west into playing on 5/27.

That said, TBDing a weekday game doesn't seem like a good strategy for getting people in the stands.

Edit: Just did some preliminary math, and things could get interesting right from the start. Friday 5/16 is the "buffer/rest" day - NBCSN doesn't have a hockey slot scheduled. Assuming for the sole purposes of ticketing that Boston makes it to the ECF, the ECF (and, thus, our team) will pretty much have to have the lead-in to the Preakness, so our game starts on Sat 5/17 at either 12:30 or 1. They don't want to leave Saturday without hockey.

If the WCF is Minnesota/LA, LA would host first, having the better regular season record. But Staples Center is already taken on Sun 5/18. Given that the powers that be would have a heart attack on a weekend day without hockey, that means that we'd be likely to have back-to-back games this coming weekend - a huge ticket bonanza for you lucky STHers. (Well, except that Game 1 early matinees don't seem to go over too well.)

The only other possibility would be to have LA play Saturday night along with our matinee, but that leaves a big gap in NBC's programming. NBCSN for some reason has conference finals scheduled on Sat/Sun at 8 PM next week, along with NBC's scheduled afternoon games (1 on Sat, and 3 on Sun). I bet NBCSN has replays.

Last edited:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Tickets in Montreal are surprisingly reasonable for tomorrow night on StubHub....

STRONGLY considering going if they remain around $170. Flight out there leaves at like 3. So I'll keep an eye out until then. Too good to pass up.

slim04

All Things Boston
Mar 11, 2011
Connecticut
As far as making a percentage/cut of every sale goes? Yes.

MLB is the one and only of the major 4 sports to have a deal in place to make a cut of every sale. There may be teams that take in advertising dollars from SH from stadium ads etc. But no other major sport in this country is making money off every SH sale like MLB is doing.

Because I'm neurotic (and nursing a bad back) I spent quite a bit of time looking through news articles yesterday. I can't find that StubHub has to pay any of the other leagues any part of the percentage though I am still curious.

Just like to be fair and point out where I'm wrong. Well played sir...well played.

Game 7 ticket prices seem to have remained steady. I won't lie I'd rather see a win tonight and see if I can make it to a game this weekend.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
10327172_10204265829829641_238783268_n.jpg

Gah I wish the flight to Montreal wasn't full.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
It also says it's a child ticket, 16 and under.

I'm sure it's just like the Tuffs Family section at the Garden. It says "child" on the ticket, they don't care at the gates though. Have you ever sat in section 326 during a game or checked it out when they zoomed in on tv since it became the "family" section? You can count how many kids are sitting in the section on two hands.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm sure it's just like the Tuffs Family section at the Garden. It says "child" on the ticket, they don't care at the gates though. Have you ever sat in section 326 during a game or checked it out when they zoomed in on tv since it became the "family" section? You can count how many kids are sitting in the section on two hands.

My tickets are in 325, so yes, I'm aware that 326 is not actually a family/kids section. :laugh:

I also have sat in 326 prior to having seasons, and it didn't say anything weird about being a child ticket. I thought that the low-ish price plus the classification that it was a child's ticket meant that there was a good chance you need to actually be a child to use it.

If I was going to fly to Montreal for a game, I'd want to be damn sure I could use the ticket I bought before getting there. Could be some weird Hab thing that they have there, kids tickets and all. Buy a regular price ticket and get a cheaper one for a kid...spreading the game and all that happy horse****.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
My tickets are in 325, so yes, I'm aware that 326 is not actually a family/kids section. :laugh:

I also have sat in 326 prior to having seasons, and it didn't say anything weird about being a child ticket. I thought that the low-ish price plus the classification that it was a child's ticket meant that there was a good chance you need to actually be a child to use it.

There definitely is. But I figured there's just as good a chance that they treat that section like the B's treat their family section…a small fraction of tickets sold at a price point way below the cheapest tickets in the building. All for the sole purpose of good PR. They want to advertise to have family friendly prices. When in reality, the majority of the small fraction of tickets that are available at the discounted price are put right back on the secondary market…cause they don't enforce the child/family policy.

Remember a couple years ago when the sox decided to try to sell upper bleachers for prime summer games as ticketless tickets only? I bought 8 of them to a summer weekend game (it ended up being Youk's last home game). I took my family of 5. Used my credit card at the turn stile. The usher at the gate asked "what about the other 3 tickets?" (I only had 5 in my party). I told him the other three couldn't make it- the policy was that your entire party had to enter at once- similar to the scalp free zone.

So the guy tells me "just have them come to this gate when they get here and I'll let them in". Good enough! I posted an ad on CL and was able to sell the other three and have someone meet me at the gate.

If they don't enforce the policy, it's kinda useless.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I got bit. Tickets fell of stubhub at 530. Have to sit in the uppers and go to stubhub LMS can't do instant download. Really sucks cause it was looking like I'd get an amazing deal but those tix are gonzo. Dumb move using the hotel pool just now and not being around to snipe right before 530 wish I knew.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I just bought that cheap child seat. 59 bucks. Dunno if I'll get in but I'll post on here what happens. :)

LETS GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TommyBruinsFan

Sep 14, 2007
Massachusetts
So I refuse to list my other tickets before the game because of the jinx factor and now when I try to print them so I can upload them to Stubhub the site tells me my tickets are not available for action because of an outstanding payment on my invoice..... My account that has payments automatically charged to my card each month..... And has been charged each month as scheduled..... The team and their technology sucks tonight!

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
So I refuse to list my other tickets before the game because of the jinx factor and now when I try to print them so I can upload them to Stubhub the site tells me my tickets are not available you hve action because of an outstanding payment on my invoice..... My account that has payments automatically charged to my card each month..... And has been charged each month as scheduled..... The team and their technology sucks tonight!

The monthly charges are for next year's season tickets. If you are doing Pay As We Play for the playoffs then you have not yet been charged for Game 7 and that is why they are not available to you yet. I would expect to get an email from Fan Relations either later tonight or tomorrow informing us when tickets will be activated.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Another game at Centre Bell and we can't score. Yeah lol the child ticket worked and I'm not lying I successfully snuck down to the first row on the glass for that price minus stubhub fee. (I pulled it off because I sat in 3 empty seats...and RDS had allocated 2 of the 3 seats to their camera man...so RDS camera man thought I had the seat 3rd in from the aisle and offered me the aisle seat in exchange for 2nd and 3rd seats in since he apparently needed 2 seats to work his camera was a huge score other than the game but price was right I only spent dough on the hotel.)

Would have been awesome but another game without us scoring a ****ing goal up here. **** man.

Last edited by a moderator:

TommyBruinsFan

Sep 14, 2007
Massachusetts
The monthly charges are for next year's season tickets. If you are doing Pay As We Play for the playoffs then you have not yet been charged for Game 7 and that is why they are not available to you yet. I would expect to get an email from Fan Relations either later tonight or tomorrow informing us when tickets will be activated.

Ya that makes sense. Guess I'm just mad at the world tonight. Damn you Bruins!!!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Any ideas on if the prices are going to come down? It's a weekday, so that's good for the buyers who can go, but I'm not going to indulge in the fantasy that the prices are going to come down enough to make me willing to go to the game - especially when it's a Habs game 7. That's about as marquee as it gets without being The Cup.

But 3000+ tickets and $240 - something's gotta give, I hope. TM has sparsely scattered singles for a comparable price, last I checked.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Any ideas on if the prices are going to come down? It's a weekday, so that's good for the buyers who can go, but I'm not going to indulge in the fantasy that the prices are going to come down enough to make me willing to go to the game - especially when it's a Habs game 7. That's about as marquee as it gets without being The Cup.

But 3000+ tickets and $240 - something's gotta give, I hope. TM has sparsely scattered singles for a comparable price, last I checked.

3200 tix left. 230 is the lowest right now. Bet you can get in for 140-150. Doubt much lower since anything below that will get snapped up in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad