Confirmed with Link: Locker Room Exit Interviews Monday May 6 (Players and Keefe) + Pelley/Shanny/Tre on Friday VIDEO LINK PG 57

Will Keefe be fired next week?

• Yes

Votes: 293 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 14.1%

• Total voters

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't like the idea of recycling a head coach either. I'm sure there's a junior/AHL coach out there that could do a good job but it's probably not the idea this time around. Berube is well liked, has had some form of success and he's a veteran of the NHL.

The veteran names available are pretty much all with the same kind of resumes. The one thing Berube has over the others is a cup ring.
I think a winning coach is needed over a good rookie AHL coach. In saying that, I don’t think Berube is the answer.

Having a coach that’s “tough” doesn’t mean he’s a good coach. If there tactics are trash then they are no good to us if he’s only going to be known for playing hardball with the stars.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Dudes got an ego. Are we sure that's what he meant?

He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

People will interpret it how they want just like all Marner quotes... he isn't well-spoken in this regard.

It is like how people have declared Nylander the new king of the Leafs and have ignored that he said the team was "right there" and then when someone else says it they lose it.

All these guys want to win, they all feel the pressure, they all know they are failing.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Most teams do that by the way.

Do you think Buffalo only has ELCs and league minimum contracts?

Regular season is where most people earn their contract, hate to break it to you.

Also, Benoit and McCabe are fine... but they are below average/average at best.

Edmundson and Lub are some of the worst.
Not as RFAs. The Leafs broke them mold.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Well Toronto is now a minority majority city population wise, most people within the city proper probably don't give a damn about the Leafs anymore.
Naw people still care about the leafs even as city becomes more diverse

Im a minority and love hockey/leafs.

I know quite a few guys from same culture as me who follow the leafs. My best friend even got on the bandwagon for games 5 to 7

He never watched hockey before but gave it a chance and really liked it. Unfortunately leafs showed him what it means to support toronto sports and blew the series in game 7

Leaf fandom can continue to grow amongst new fans from difference races/background but to do so you need the team to be making deep runs and be super exciting

9 playoff failures, 12 goals in 7 games is the opposite of that sadly.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
So whats the excuse for us having such a pathetic powerplay in the playoffs?

Since Keefe has been in charge, our powerplay in the playoffs sits at like 15% while other teams like EDM, COL, BOS are anywhere from 28 to 34%.
its pretty simple, stagnant powerplay that forces the slowest guy on the ice to be the entry man on the wall from stop start allowing the penalty killers to trap him.

No point shot at the top of the umbrella to spread the PK diamond and force teams to defend Matthews, Nylander and the big point shot which creates break downs and 2 on 1s around the diamond (as seems to happen to the PK always). Slow moving the puck and lack of movement on the powerplay itselgf. I am not sure where I defended Keefe here? I am not even sure what this argument is?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
its pretty simple, stagnant powerplay that forces the slowest guy on the ice to be the entry man on the wall from stop start allowing the penalty killers to trap him.

No point shot at the top of the umbrella to spread the PK diamond and force teams to defend Matthews, Nylander and the big point shot which creates break downs and 2 on 1s around the diamond (as seems to happen to the PK always). Slow moving the puck and lack of movement on the powerplay itselgf. I am not sure where I defended Keefe here? I am not even sure what this argument is?

Our defences inability to move the puck isn't the only reason why our offense dries up and our powerplay has been a huge negative for awhile now in the playoffs, basically all the time outside of last season vs TB.

Yes our defence this season wasn't great at moving the puck and this is an area that definitely needs to be addressed, just saying our team offense and PP has basically always dried up in the playoffs regardless of the depth players around the core.

Both things can be true in that our defence is not great at moving the puck but also that our core has consistently come up short and they need to own alot of that.

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Our defenses inability to move the puck isn't the only reason why our offense dries up and our powerplay has been a huge negative for awhile now in the playoffs, basically all the time outside of last season vs TB.

Yes our defence this season wasn't great at moving the puck and this is a area that definitely needs to be addressed, just saying our team offense and PP has basically always dried up in the playoffs regardless of the depth players around the core.

Both things can be true in that our defence is not great at moving the puck but also that our core has consistently come up short and they need to own alot of that.
sure considering McDavid has 12 points in the first round and 9 of them were on the powerplay but the lack of puck moving has been a consistent theme on this team we can never get the puck up the ice like teams like Colorado do because our defense is never mobile. It absolutely makes an impact when the team has no actual identity. It was nice reading Jack Han's breakdown of everything that went wrong and right as an actual former video coach for the leafs. I recommend every one to go through it

Mind you our offense was drying up just these past couple of years. They didnt have troubles really scoring before that in the playoffs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
People mocking the feelings and disappointment of the players or saying good are being pretty trashy imo.

We all wanted better. We all demand better. End of the day though these are still human beings. Failing to achieve their goal by a fair margin and sitting on the precipice of most likely having their core taken apart to some extent.

Being a frustrated fan doesn’t mean you have to abandon all empathy to the struggles of the players.
I dont care to hear how hard it is...again. Im all out of participation ribbons at this point.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Naw people still care about the leafs even as city becomes more diverse

Im a minority and love hockey/leafs.

I know quite a few guys from same culture as me who follow the leafs. My best friend even got on the bandwagon for games 5 to 7

He never watched hockey before but gave it a chance and really liked it. Unfortunately leafs showed him what it means to support toronto sports and blew the series in game 7

Leaf fandom can continue to grow amongst new fans from difference races/background but to do so you need the team to be making deep runs and be super exciting

9 playoff failures, 12 goals in 7 games is the opposite of that sadly.
Not in my circle, most of the people I know here watch NBA and European soccer. The Leafs are a hard draw for them because the team have been so bad for two full decades.

My daughter is currently grade 4, in her class none of her classmates follow hockey. Yes I asked her specifically about the sport.

Reactions: hamzarocks

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not in my circle, most of the people I know here watch NBA and European soccer. The Leafs are a hard draw for them because the team have been so bad for two full decades.

My daughter is currently grade 4, in her class none of her classmates follow hockey. Yes I asked her specifically about the sport.
Guess just different circles then

NBA and Euro soccer has for sure grown a lot though

weems

Jul 3, 2008
sure considering McDavid has 12 points in the first round and 9 of them were on the powerplay but the lack of puck moving has been a consistent theme on this team we can never get the puck up the ice like teams like Colorado do because our defense is never mobile. It absolutely makes an impact when the team has no actual identity. It was nice reading Jack Han's breakdown of everything that went wrong and right as an actual former video coach for the leafs. I recommend every one to go through it

Mind you our offense was drying up just these past couple of years. They didnt have troubles really scoring before that in the playoffs

Yes our puck moving ability is definitely a concern and this is why I specifically brought up Montours name in the trade thread.
I also don't think they were expecting Brodie to fall off a cliff into unplayable territory and Liljegren also failed to take the step many think he can.
There might have been a over correction in some ways and we definitely need to become more mobile but I also think some of the good elements of having some other player types also showed up in the series.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

On my team at work, myself and one other person are the only true Leaf fans. Rest of the group doesn't care or follows other sports, one of the directors even grew up playing hockey and his dad owns season seats and yet he too doesn't give a f*** about the NHL or the Leafs. This team has completely lost and alienated generations of fans.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Yes our puck moving ability is definitely a concern and this is why I specifically brought up Montours name in the trade thread.
I also don't think they were expecting Brodie to fall off a cliff into unplayable territory and Liljegren also failed to take the step many think he can.
There might have been a over correction in some ways and we definitely need to become more mobile but I also think some of the good elements of having some other player types also showed up in the series.
I am absolutely not against having brute force on the team i thoroughly enjoy McCabe, Benoit and Edmundson turning Pastrnak into mince meat.

I am also for bringing on a player like Montour because he brings the puck moving, the shot and nastiness for a good offensive Dman package.

I'd be looking at a mix of good tough two way defensemen because it seems those are the guys that always get the job done. Not sure who would be available at that level but i dont think its seth jones thats for sure

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I also don't think they were expecting Brodie to fall off a cliff into unplayable territory and Liljegeren also failed to take the step many think he can.
Funny how we went from Babs-NO MORE STRETCH PASS to now.

Overall, we will never have a Makar or Hughes or Fox in the back unless we luck out and draft one.
WE just need more money to spend on D. Also we need to stop playing like the Avs or the Oilers as our top guys just can't play like them.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
On my team at work, myself and one other person are the only true Leaf fans. Rest of the group doesn't care or follows other sports, one of the directors even grew up playing hockey and his dad owns season seats and yet he too doesn't give a f*** about the NHL or the Leafs. This team has completely lost and alienated generations of fans.
At my workplace one dude who never watched hockey even laughed at me a numerous times saying "hey man the Leafs suck, why are you still cheering them?"

Reactions: Cleetus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad