Official 2013 Patriots/NFL Thread-Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
You see balls 10 yards over a receivers head and out of bounds called PI. There's no consistency in the call. If that game was at Gillette they don't pick up the flag, that's the problem with this league.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
But the ball wasn't catchable.....what bull****

I see defensive holding called all the time when the ball isn't even going to that receiver, but somehow this isn't a penalty?

The only reason you could say it was not catchable is because he was interfered with. The whole argument negates itself.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
One of the biggest reasons I don't watch the NBA anymore is the level to which officiating is involved directly in the outcome of games. Yes, all sports have officiating involved and all have seen historically bad calls happen, but the NFL over the last couple years has simply had significant mistakes happen on one single play/instance that directly impacted the outcome of a game. It's one thing if you say officiating calls favor one team over the other or that there's too much or too few calls happening in a game.....that's not my argument.

The fact that it happens at key moments....game-altering moments....and that the review system seems inadequate in handling it....ultimately impacts the quality of the product on the field. That's approaching NBA-officials level of stain on the product....and I say this again as a fan of another team that's largely neutral toward last night's outcome.

I know that The Shield is untouchable and that's too bad. What happened last night, both on the field and the response, was either ignorance or arrogance (likely both) on behalf of that officiating crew. What the NFL chooses to do about it will indicate which category the league wants to put itself in.

Too bad. A closely-contested game between two real contenders, and that call is what everyone's gonna remember.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Look, I don't believe in league conspiracies, just incompetence.

My only question is whether or not the NFL will announce the flag should not have been picked up. And, if they do, will they do it like when Belichick said the Jets did the same thing on a field goal earlier in the game, you know, wait seven days and announce it five minutes before the next Sunday of games.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
the NFL is as corrupt as they come. The Pats would have 3 more superbowls if the refs favored us like they do that gomer Manning!!!! Makes me angry!!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
the NFL is as corrupt as they come. The Pats would have 3 more superbowls if the refs favored us like they do that gomer Manning!!!! Makes me angry!!

Or if you know, their defense was capable of making a stop in the last 5 minutes of a game. Either or though. Your choice...:laugh:

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Just look where Gronk plants. It is literally no more than a yard from where the ball is caught. But he is immediately run off the spot.

Yes, it would have been difficult for him to make a catch with the other defender jumping the route. Even unlikely.

But uncatchable? No ****ing way.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Ladies and gentlemen, your head official for tonight's game.

“It was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and in essence it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone. So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred.â€
-- Referee Clete Blakeman

Learn the rules bro.

That explanation, in essence, was a load of crap.

Even worse for me than the picking up of the flag, is their ability to justify to themselves that they think they actually got it right! Is it any wonder the officiating is such a crapshoot these days? I haven't seen anything official from the league - have they also justified them picking up the flag?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
When the Pats got a gift pass interference call on third and long at midfield during that drive, did anyone complain about it being rigged? Remember that one, when the corner didn't even touch the receiver?

It pains me to see people complain about this lack of a call like the TD they allowed right before it wasn't the issue. They got beat, and they would have needed a pass interference on an uncatchable pass to have one more shot at trying to win, and folks act like a win was stolen from them.

Edit - I saw where you stepped back from your opinion on this first post, and I didn't need to come off sounding like a richard.

Lonnie is still completely wrong though. :D

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
That explanation, in essence, was a load of crap.

Even worse for me than the picking up of the flag, is their ability to justify to themselves that they think they actually got it right! Is it any wonder the officiating is such a crapshoot these days? I haven't seen anything official from the league - have they also justified them picking up the flag?

"Because I said so, that's why."

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Or if you know, their defense was capable of making a stop in the last 5 minutes of a game. Either or though. Your choice...:laugh:

While I do agree with your assessment about the defense needing to make stops (or Welker catching a ball he has both hands on), there is credence to the feeling that Manning gets calls that no one else does. Remember what kept alive the final drive against the Pats the year the Colts won the SB? A personal foul for some minor contact to Manning's head while he was releasing a 4th down pass. Do you remember the next year, when the Pats lost to the Giants in the SB? The giants hit Brady in the head more often and more violently than what kept the Pats out of the SB the previous year. So, yeah, I do think there's basis for feeling like sometimes the Pats are on the short end of the officiating on a lot of occasions, including some really big ones.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
While I do agree with your assessment about the defense needing to make stops (or Welker catching a ball he has both hands on), there is credence to the feeling that Manning gets calls that no one else does. Remember what kept alive the final drive against the Pats the year the Colts won the SB? A personal foul for some minor contact to Manning's head while he was releasing a 4th down pass. Do you remember the next year, when the Pats lost to the Giants in the SB? The giants hit Brady in the head more often and more violently than what kept the Pats out of the SB the previous year. So, yeah, I do think there's basis for feeling like sometimes the Pats are on the short end of the officiating on a lot of occasions, including some really big ones.

Its the NFL making up for Manning's failure as a post season QB. There are many Pat/Brady haters out there and 100% that goes into officiating Pats games. I believe much of this comes from those rats in the NY head office.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

What I've learned over the years from being a boxing fan is that you never ever want to leave the decision in the hands of the officials. As soon as you do that, you never know how the outcome will be. The Pats certainly had their chances and didn't come up big when needed. Obviously the league has it's rules and then the rules for superstars. Brady has been the beneficiary of many calls in his favor just because of who he is. Manning obviously gets more than his fair share of calls based on who he is as well. If you asked an impartial observer, they'd be saying the same things you said about Manning for Brady. It's why I don't typically get worked up about it when a call goes against them. It sucks, but it happens.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
What I've learned over the years from being a boxing fan is that you never ever want to leave the decision in the hands of the officials. As soon as you do that, you never know how the outcome will be. The Pats certainly had their chances and didn't come up big when needed. Obviously the league has it's rules and then the rules for superstars. Brady has been the beneficiary of many calls in his favor just because of who he is. Manning obviously gets more than his fair share of calls based on who he is as well. If you asked an impartial observer, they'd be saying the same things you said about Manning for Brady. It's why I don't typically get worked up about it when a call goes against them. It sucks, but it happens.

boooorrrriiinnggg, and cmon man!!

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
A couple things here...

1. I've had no problem criticizing this team when they've deserved it--including Belichick. Specifically, the inability of the "genius" to put together a defense the last few years. To his credit, I think he put together a pretty good defense this year. Even without Wilfork and Mayo, the run defense last night was excellent last night against a team that likes to run the ball. In the end, they only allowed 209 passing yards. That's pretty good as well.

2. The offense was very encouraging last night, especially the offensive line. Ran much better than I expected and Brady had a pretty good night. Sacked twice against that defense in their building? That's not bad.

3. The common theme with a lot of their losses in recent years showed up again last night. While I want to ultimately say the defense let them down yet again on that final drive, there's more to it. The bad penalties, the Ridley fumble, the missed opportunity on the 3rd and 1 where we had to settle for a FG, the terrible 3rd down defense...Carolina was 8 for 11! Unacceptable! All the way around, there were plenty of things that happened that impacted the outcome of the game.

4. Speaking of that final touchdown, the thing that's not getting nearly enough attention as it should right now is Talib. If I heard Tirico correctly, Talib was NOT on the field for that touchdown. Is he hurt again? Because this team isn't winning anything without a healthy Talib. Sure, he gave up one long one to Smith, but all the great ones get beat from time to time. Smith for the game only had four grabs for 62 yards, most of which came on one long play. To me, Talib did a very good job in his first game back.

5. The last play of the game was absolutely a penalty. I don't care what penalty it was, just that it was a penalty. There is no debate on that. I mentioned before, that I saw a clear photo of the interference starting where Brady ended up throwing the ball to. It did NOT start where ESPN first showed the contact being made a few yards deeper in the end zone. It happened before that. It was a penalty. While this did not directly cost the Patriots a win, it absolutely cost them a chance at winning the game--a chance they deserved.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I DVR'd PTI and ATH just to hear opinions about the call. IDK why I did this.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You're right. It's so much better to whine about conspiracy theories and nefarious powers that secretly want Peyton Manning to win every game he plays...:laugh:

its not just Peyton. The league fixed it for the Steelers until big ben was accused of ****. Also the Jets and NY Media will sell their childrens souls just to hurt the pats. Only the NFL and NBA I think this goes on. However we all know how the refs are in the city where I live. Anyway Pats are 9-1 if the league officiated the proper way.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Im all for conspiracy theories but the Steelers part is REACHING

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
its not just Peyton. The league fixed it for the Steelers until big ben was accused of ****. Also the Jets and NY Media will sell their childrens souls just to hurt the pats. Only the NFL and NBA I think this goes on. However we all know how the refs are in the city where I live. Anyway Pats are 9-1 if the league officiated the proper way.

If they fixed it so frequently and are open to doing so, why has their poster boy, Peyton Manning, only won it once? He's got a losing record in the playoffs and is 1-1 in the Super Bowl. If they really wanted him to win it so badly, wouldn't they have conspired to give him more than a 9-11 record for his career during the playoffs?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If they fixed it so frequently and are open to doing so, why has their poster boy, Peyton Manning, only won it once? He's got a losing record in the playoffs and is 1-1 in the Super Bowl. If they really wanted him to win it so badly, wouldn't they have conspired to give him more than a 9-11 record for his career during the playoffs?

Peyton is so bad in the playoffs, even the refs have a hard time saving him, they do try though lol. Anyway its overreaction Tuesday, this call and the Jets game outcome has struck a nerve today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad