Official 2013 Patriots/NFL Thread-Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishBruin

Mar 17, 2011
Recife, Brasil
Just trying to get my head around this rule. Maybe someone here could explain it to me.

Am I right in saying that pass interference isn't called if the receiver has no chance to catch the ball??? That's what I'm picking up from any comments I'm reading about the call (Debatable in this case as I think it was a possibility) But to me this looked more like holding than PI. From what I understand holding is called no matter what, like during games holding calls are called even though they play would be on the opposite side of the field.

And the official says that the interception happened at or about the same time as primary contact. But I count that Gronk was being held for a full 4 seconds (maybe I have a slow count) before the ball was intercepted. Would that length of time normally be counted as "at or about the same time"

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The ref's don't pick up the flag on plays where defensive holding occurs on the other side of the field away from where the action is, why would you pick it up here?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This reminds of the Mike Matheny press conference in the World Series. He complained about the "timing" when the umps gathered to get the call 100% correct.

In this case, the refs correctly decided there was 0% chance Gronk is catching that ball. Looking at this route he had no intention of being anywhere near it in fact. So the refs decided it was either "uncatchable" or whatever other explanation and picked up the flag. In every other case non-Patriot we'd be applauding the refs here as there's no way that guy blocked him from making a play on that ball. No way.

And somehow some fans are crying this morning like they got jobbed. All the while conveniently forgetting the horrendous pass interference call that went in their favor on 3rd down like 5 plays before that.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Manning would get that call every time. The NFL is a pathetic crooked league. Thank god for hockey.

I was going to say earlier, if Manning had thrown that same ball, not only would they not have picked up the flag, the 3 other guys who convinced him to pick it up would have hit Kuechly with their flags as well.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
When the Pats got a gift pass interference call on third and long at midfield during that drive, did anyone complain about it being rigged? Remember that one, when the corner didn't even touch the receiver?

It pains me to see people complain about this lack of a call like the TD they allowed right before it wasn't the issue. They got beat, and they would have needed a pass interference on an uncatchable pass to have one more shot at trying to win, and folks act like a win was stolen from them.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I was going to say earlier, if Manning had thrown that same ball, not only would they not have picked up the flag, the 3 other guys who convinced him to pick it up would have hit Kuechly with their flags as well.

yep, the league has been set up for years against the pats IMO. The league is run out of NY (Goodell) where there are lots of jealous bottem feeding cockroches who can`t handle NE winning so the mandate is screw them over. Im so happy the sox won the WS, stick it in the face of those NY ********.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
This reminds of the Mike Matheny press conference in the World Series. He complained about the "timing" when the umps gathered to get the call 100% correct.

In this case, the refs correctly decided there was 0% chance Gronk is catching that ball. Looking at this route he had no intention of being anywhere near it in fact. So the refs decided it was either "uncatchable" or whatever other explanation and picked up the flag. In every other case non-Patriot we'd be applauding the refs here as there's no way that guy blocked him from making a play on that ball. No way.

And somehow some fans are crying this morning like they got jobbed. All the while conveniently forgetting the horrendous pass interference call that went in their favor on 3rd down like 5 plays before that.

The thing is, lots of penalties have nothing to do with the actual play, but they are made. Gronk was obviously held, it's undeniable.

We see defensive holding calls made all the time that have nothing to do with the play, yet they are made.

It's about being consistent.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Someone here is conveniently forgetting that Olsen initiated contact and then took a dive on McCourty's hold, on 3rd and 7 from the NE 36.

Also: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Please note:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

You underestimate how quickly a 6'7" elite TE can get back to make a play on the ball, regardless of where he intended to be.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

Kuechly did this as well.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
When the Pats got a gift pass interference call on third and long at midfield during that drive, did anyone complain about it being rigged? Remember that one, when the corner didn't even touch the receiver?

It pains me to see people complain about this lack of a call like the TD they allowed right before it wasn't the issue. They got beat, and they would have needed a pass interference on an uncatchable pass to have one more shot at trying to win, and folks act like a win was stolen from them.

As insane as the last play was, I have to agree with you, BP. They could have easily taken care of business on their own and not left it up to the officials at the end. The call/non call, while strange, wasn't the reason they lost this game.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Actually, the TD they allowed before that wasn't the issue, it was the FG they kicked prior to that drive. They had the Panthers defense dead to rights and someone forgot to take the playcalling away from McDaniels late in a game.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
As insane as the last play was, I have to agree with you, BP. They could have easily taken care of business on their own and not left it up to the officials at the end. The call/non call, while strange, wasn't the reason they lost this game.

Can I agree it's not why the lost the game but still feel the call should have been made?

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Actually, the TD they allowed before that wasn't the issue, it was the FG they kicked prior to that drive. They had the Panthers defense dead to rights and someone forgot to take the playcalling away from McDaniels late in a game.

That's probably true right there.

And now that I've looked at it a handful more times, I'd like to recant a bit on my prior post. Gronk cut a little earlier than I thought, though I don't think he has any chance to catch that ball in front of the guy who picked it. That said, you do see that call made most of the time, despite the fact it probably shouldn't be.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
That's probably true right there.

And now that I've looked at it a handful more times, I'd like to recant a bit on my prior post. Gronk cut a little earlier than I thought, though I don't think he has any chance to catch that ball in front of the guy who picked it. That said, you do see that call made most of the time, despite the fact it probably shouldn't be.

Nice recant, you don't see this often, and I totally agree. I hate this rule, but if you going to call that BS hold on McCourty....which led to Carolina going ahead in the first place..then you don't pick up the flag here.

I also think they used uncatchable a little too liberally, we've seen DB's all weekend tip the ball and just flat out miss passes, uncatchable in my mind is off the goal post, bouncing in front of the end zone, or thrown to Chad Johnson.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Ladies and gentlemen, your head official for tonight's game.

“It was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and in essence it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone. So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred.â€
-- Referee Clete Blakeman

Learn the rules bro.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Nice recant, you don't see this often, and I totally agree. I hate this rule, but if you going to call that BS hold on McCourty....which led to Carolina going ahead in the first place..then you don't pick up the flag here.

I also think they used uncatchable a little too liberally, we've seen DB's all weekend tip the ball and just flat out miss passes, uncatchable in my mind is off the goal post, bouncing in front of the end zone, or thrown to Chad Johnson.

Ha.

See the thing is I think the league needs to use uncatchable much more, like they used to. So many times you see little tugs called PI when there's not a chance the receiver could have caught the pass. It honestly seems like half the plays in a team's book are "Run towards the safety, make a cut, come nowhere near the ball, then throw up your hands and yell. Ready...break!"

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Once there is holding when the ball is in the air it is DPI. You will literally never see a ball called uncatchable when it is thrown in the endzone a few feet in front of a receiver, especially when he can't come back to the bagel because her is being interfered with.

Uncatchable has a very high threshold. What if that ball last night had been deflected? Gronk can't catch it if he isn't being held?

The explanation makes no sense.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Once there is holding when the ball is in the air it is DPI. You will literally never see a ball called uncatchable when it is thrown in the endzone a few feet in front of a receiver, especially when he can't come back to the bagel because her is being interfered with.

Uncatchable has a very high threshold. What if that ball last night had been deflected? Gronk can't catch it if he isn't being held?

Agreed. He was clearly pushed away and given no opportunity to even attempt a play, it's textbook.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

That "explanation" is a classic case of CYA.

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
penalty should have been called, even though i think gronk had no chance of making any play as brady completely under threw the ball due to pressure.

ridley is a problem and continues to cost the teams points, pretty boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad