Proposal: Offers for Boeser

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
A fully healthy Boeser is more than just a good player tho.

Agreed, at minimum, he's a first-line/elite winger on a good team.

The Canucks have brought in/developed some good offensive players since his rookie year, so there has been less puck to go around, but back when he was the focal point of the offense, he looked anywhere between elite & at times like a franchise winger.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He doesn’t.Dynamic play making puck moving dman vs big lumbering goal scoring winger who has red flags all over him with respect to work ethic and consistency...it’s a no brainer. No GM in the NHL would take Laine over Hughes.
Don't embarass yourself. My trade was way out there but come on now. There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't make that trade for Laine. He'd become the caucks' 3rd leading scorer at 21 years of age while playing fewer games. I wouldn't mind some of what you are smoking/eating though???

member 290103

Don't embarass yourself. My trade was way out there but come on now. There isn't a GM in the league that wouldn't make that trade for Laine. He'd become the caucks' 3rd leading scorer at 21 years of age while playing fewer games. I wouldn't mind some of what you are smoking/eating though???

Its unfortunate you’d make a post like this to show your complete lack of understanding of the game. No GM in the league would take Laine over Hughes. None.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Boeser and Hughes for Barzal and Leddy.

We've got a number of top end centers already. Miller and often Gaudette are playing wing. Plus our bottom six options in Sutter, Beagle, MacEwen, Motte...we're set at center.

Leddy being nine years older than Hughes, an ELC, doesn't really do it for us either. I mean Hughes will require a laughable overpayment. He's our best offensive defense man, as a rookie, in a long, long, long time. And not to drink the Koolaid too deeply here, but he might already be one of our best defenseman in franchise history, among such names as....Ohlund? Lumme? Edler? Lidster? Kearns? I mean it's a thin pool, but for context Hughes is, get this, 41st in overall points for our defensemen. After 5/6s of a season.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Hughes IS our 3rd highest scorer. As a defenseman. 10 points fewer, as a rookie, as a defenseman, a position of need for us, with an ELC.

I would love Laine on the Canucks, but if Hughes is an inclusion....count me out. I feel safe saying count all Canucks fans out. I'd even agree with my enthusiastic colleague in saying that more GMs would take Hughes over Laine.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hughes IS our 3rd highest scorer. As a defenseman. 10 points fewer, as a rookie, as a defenseman, a position of need for us, with an ELC.

I would love Laine on the Canucks, but if Hughes is an inclusion....count me out. I feel safe saying count all Canucks fans out. I'd even agree with my enthusiastic colleague in saying that more GMs would take Hughes over Laine.
Yep as a jets fan I’d take Hughes over Laine. Can’t blame you for not wanting to make swap.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
We've got a number of top end centers already. Miller and often Gaudette are playing wing. Plus our bottom six options in Sutter, Beagle, MacEwen, Motte...we're set at center.

Leddy being nine years older than Hughes, an ELC, doesn't really do it for us either. I mean Hughes will require a laughable overpayment. He's our best offensive defense man, as a rookie, in a long, long, long time. And not to drink the Koolaid too deeply here, but he might already be one of our best defenseman in franchise history, among such names as....Ohlund? Lumme? Edler? Lidster? Kearns? I mean it's a thin pool, but for context Hughes is, get this, 41st in overall points for our defensemen. After 5/6s of a season.

I get it but Barzal would be the best player in the deal and become your #1 center . Don't make light of that. Let's dance

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I get it but Barzal would be the best player in the deal and become your #1 center . Don't make light of that. Let's dance

Barzal may well be. Horvat has found his role with us on the second line. Pettersson isn't outside of the conversation in comparison to Barzal. I feel Petey is the better player, but this isn't comparing Clutterbuck to Miller or something. Neither are a 'Hughes' beneath Barzal in value though.

Barzal beats Boeser for value, I concede that. C beats W. Barzal developing better doesn't hurt either.

I can't stop gushing about Hughes though. Factoring in age, cost, production, potential, all the things we love, Hughes is not even in the same conversation as Leddy value wise.

Then factoring in our center situation, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat in his current role, Gaudette in his current role, and Pettersson in his current role are all worth a lot more than Barzal, Leddy, a reduced Horvat, a reduced Pettersson and a reduced Gaudette. Pettersson and Horvat have also been glued to their positions 5 on 5 too, our coaches aren't looking to move them to wing despite our option internally.

This is not a slight on Barzal, but upgrading centers is not high on our to do list. Definitely not high enough to move Boeser without getting a winger back. Including Hughes makes the whole deal a non-starter too.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yep as a jets fan I’d take Hughes over Laine. Can’t blame you for not wanting to make swap.

And don't get me wrong, I would love Laine, like I said, but I mean...come on...Hughes!

There wouldn't be a "sell low" option going at the moment on him, by the way...asking for a friend.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

Running Barzal as #1 and Pettersson as #2 feels like a huge bottleneck in the works much like the Tavares and Matthews situation in Toronto.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Sens offer the the lower of the 1st Sens/SJ.

EM is too cheap and might cancel the deal, but he’ll fit nicely in OTT.

Probably the only offer in this thread worth consideration.

Not sure the Canucks do it, as they seem to be in win now mode; but really curious who the Canucks would be interested in w/ a 2020 top-10 pick. Jamie Drysdale comes to mind, but I wonder if there'd be a skill set duplication w/ Quin Hughes? Could be a great pairing, or could take away from each other's game. Really hope Nikita Tryamkin signs soon: I'd like to see him paired w/ Hughes in the pre-season to see how they mesh.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Probably the only offer in this thread worth consideration.

Not sure the Canucks do it, as they seem to be in win now mode; but really curious who the Canucks would be interested in w/ a 2020 top-10 pick. Jamie Drysdale comes to mind, but I wonder if there'd be a skill set duplication w/ Quin Hughes? Could be a great pairing, or could take away from each other's game. Really hope Nikita Tryamkin signs soon: I'd like to see him paired w/ Hughes in the pre-season to see how they mesh.

I think it’s the Sens would still reject.

Boeser smartly backloaded his short contract, to $7.5M (cap $5.85M) to keep his RFA they need to match or exceed his final year (next season) or become a UFA at 24 years old. He rejected 6 years @ $42M.

Constant trade rumours is due to his next potential contract could be ugly.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

Boeser smartly backloaded his short contract, to $7.5M (cap $5.85M) to keep his RFA they need to match or exceed his final year (next season) or become a UFA at 24 years old. He rejected 6 years @ $42M.

Maybe they do reject a trade to build up their pipeline, but it's not a certainty that Vancouver's interested either. Kind of puts them in a perpetual rebuild; trading a 23yo entering his prime for an 18yo two-three years away, maybe even longer to contribute at a Boeser level.

And INCORRECT. Every, and all Brock Boeser trade rumours have started on this forum. There have been no legitimate Brock Boeser trade rumours from any credible sources out of Vancouver, not even any untrustworthy media sources for that matter. 7.5M+ isn't out of the question for a top-line, star winger in his prime -- I believe he's even gone on record to say he'd take a discount on his next contract.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Maybe they do reject a trade to build up their pipeline, but it's not a certainty that Vancouver's interested either. Kind of puts them in a perpetual rebuild; trading a 23yo entering his prime for an 18yo two-three years away, maybe even longer to contribute at a Boeser level.

And INCORRECT. Every, and all Brock Boeser trade rumours have started on this forum. There have been no legitimate Brock Boeser trade rumours from any credible sources out of Vancouver, not even any untrustworthy media sources for that matter. 7.5M+ isn't out of the question for a top-line, star winger in his prime -- I believe he's even gone on record to say he'd take a discount on his next contract.

Boeser rejected the guaranteed (generous 6 years @ $7M per) should be a concern.

Taking less money and backloading would indicate seeking a big payday and/or reach UFA sooner. Agent was smart enough to discover this loophole, but there is no chance he accepts a discount. The next deal must be guaranteed at 1 year @ $7.5M or he'll be a UFA the following season.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Of course there won't be trade rumours to tank his value, but the manner his last contract was smartly structured should not be ignored in trade proposals.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

Of course there won't be trade rumours to tank his value, but the manner his last contract was smartly structured should not be ignored in trade proposals.

Which is it? Constant trade rumours, or no trade rumours?

7.5+mill on his next contract is reasonable for a top-line, star winger. The only gm that'd be unwilling to pay that price is probably EM. And if a team would like to offer sheet him for over 8.1mill, the compensation is two 1st-round picks, a 2nd, and 3rd-round pick (or four 1st rounders if some team wants to offer him over 10.1mill). Canucks fans aren't in a panic about Brock Boeser's next contract -- there's 64mill in cap space when he needs to be re-signed (assuming the cap doesn't go up in 3 years).

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Which is it? Constant trade rumours, or no trade rumours?

7.5+mill on his next contract is reasonable for a top-line, star winger. The only gm that'd be unwilling to pay that price is probably EM. And if a team would like to offer sheet him for over 8.1mill, the compensation is two 1st-round picks, a 2nd, and 3rd-round pick (or four 1st rounders if some team wants to offer him over 10.1mill). Canucks fans aren't in a panic about Brock Boeser's next contract -- there's 64mill in cap space when he needs to be re-signed (assuming the cap doesn't go up in 3 years).

You do realize the $7.5M is the minimum?

Doubtful on agreeing to this amount on a long-term deal, so expect approx 6 years @ $9M+ per year. Slightly below the Rants/Kucherov/Stone - $9.5M average.

Marner 6 years @ $10.9M is plain stupid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad