Speculation: Offer Sheets - What would you like to see Bergevin do?

Offer sheets - What would you like to see Bergevin do next?

• Total voters

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The sad thing is there's really only a few good french Canadian GM candidat available and they had the perfect scenario in 2017 after Bergevin failed miserably to hire the best one in Julien Brisebois, but Molson's man crush on MB ruined everything
We'll forever be behind the curve as long as our search is limited to a subset of GMs. Time for an enlightened approach: Bypass the old-boys club and find the best European GM. Imagine going from choosing among the smallest pool of candidates to accessing the largest pool of candidates. That would be real progress.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With what money?

they have over 18M in cap space for 16 players, then trade Reilly and there's 1.5M and Alzner you might be able to trade him after you pay his 1.5M bonus meaning he'll be owed 5M over 2 years so you can retain 50% or buy him out. Domi is the only player that needs a contract. You should have cheap contracts from the likes of Poehling, Suzuki, Brook by then and the cap should go up again. That will give them a lot of room but who knows what other trades will be made, Petry could go if they aren't a playoff team and don't think he will re-sign. Tatar might interest teams if he has another good year and the Habs are out of it. Who knows but it shouldn't stop you from going after one of the best young blueliners in the NHL that happens to be a local as well so he might actually want to be here.

So at some point this summer Bergevin presumably had enough to offersheet Marner. Now it seems he is short on cash with what I understand about 4M or so left in cap space. He spent all that money on what... who... why?

I bet he would not have signed an OS here just like Point, why go from a playoff team especially as a local to a non playoff team that is build for the future when the leafs would match anyway.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Bergy does take alot of slack.

Hes taken the poorly managed team of before his time.. Took about 5 years to see what he had and figure out the direction the nhl is going and the what the team and owner wants. Has drafted or traded good players for excellent prospects instead of trading excellent prospects for hammerheads.

The work hes done is actually impressive and if he can trade price to B.C or seattle for some young picks.. Hes going to look like a f***ing genius.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Are either Scott Mellanby or Trevor Timmins serious candidates to eventually replace Marc Bergevin?

If I was Geoff Molson and the answer was no, would want someone in place to be learning the position and all that entails, pretty much knowing the organization from top to bottom.

When Bergevin took over, he had to learn it all, the players, the organization, even the position itself.

Sam Pollock was actually hired by Frank Selke and had many years to learn the organization and the managerial side.

Stevie Y. groomed Julien Brisebois in Tampa, Kyle Dubas got to learn from one of the best in Lou in Toronto.

On the flip side, what just happened in Minnesota with Paul Fenton and some of the mistakes, especially in player evaluation.

Seems prudent to have at least one good in house future candidate for the gm position.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just out of curiosity, would you OS Patrick Laine, and for how much?

no, they would match imo. Maybe if you go nuts and offer 13M per over 5 years but I wouldn't do that for a guy that has been called out for not working hard enough. I know he's a great goal scorer but to give up 4 1st and we would need to free up a lot of cap space so I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just out of curiosity, would you OS Patrick Laine, and for how much?

I wouldn’t OS Laine.

A player to OS and go crazy on would be a Rasmus Dahlin, if he were to become eligible. There’s an excellent chance you’d never come up with anyone of that caliber with your next 4 first rounders.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just wondering why they haven't signed him yet, isn't he part of the Jet's core? :sarcasm:

If the talk is true about him not being happy there due to the vets pushing him to work harder and his agent floating the he would like to play for the Habs due to all the Finns, then I could see a trade as possible. The problem is would MB pay the price that it would take. While he's a great goal scorer, it's certainly a red flag if true that he isn't happy because he doesn't want to work harder. Plus there's been talk about his video gaming. I don't think Julien would be a fan but it would be sweet to see him and Kotka together.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Google result. NHL Team? :laugh:
upload_2019-8-2_14-6-4.jpeg
More images
Patrik Laine
Ice hockey winger
Description

Patrik Laine is a Finnish professional ice hockey winger who currently plays for the Winnipeg Jets in the National Hockey League. Laine formerly played in his native Finland with Tappara in the Finnish Liiga before he was taken with the second overall pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by the Jets. Wikipedia
Born: April 19, 1998 (age 21 years), Tampere, Finland
Height: 1.96 m
NHL team Former teams: Montreal Canadiens; Tappara
Playing career: 2014–present
National team: Finland
Salary: 832,500 USD (2016)

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Are either Scott Mellanby or Trevor Timmins serious candidates to eventually replace Marc Bergevin?

If I was Geoff Molson and the answer was no, would want someone in place to be learning the position and all that entails, pretty much knowing the organization from top to bottom.

When Bergevin took over, he had to learn it all, the players, the organization, even the position itself.

Sam Pollock was actually hired by Frank Selke and had many years to learn the organization and the managerial side.

Stevie Y. groomed Julien Brisebois in Tampa, Kyle Dubas got to learn from one of the best in Lou in Toronto.

On the flip side, what just happened in Minnesota with Paul Fenton and some of the mistakes, especially in player evaluation.

Seems prudent to have at least one good in house future candidate for the gm position.

I'd love to see what a guy like Timmins would do as a GM. I certainly hope that he is smart enough to be taking some French lessons in his spare time if he aims at one day becoming GM of the Montreal Canadiens. If he's not and he still submit his resumé when MB gets fired than I would question his intelligence.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
No way.

It's no time to shorten the asset base for a short term gain, because mid to long term, KK and that 9th pick will likely be worth much more.

Our asset base is nowhere near close enough to what is needed to make that type of move.

How much time before Kopi is over the hill? Or even to his present level?

You would be trading our future for another Price/Weber/Petry. Players that are soon to hit their twilight and will invariably be trending to cost more than what they bring as time goes on.

Sure, we will be more competitive for a short span, but in the end, without guarantee of winning and with major holes still left to fill.

But in the long term, you will set us up for another major cluster****.

Also: Salary in a static cap league for 3 years, yikes.

if MB is willing to give up 2 first round picks and 10M, then he should OS Barzal.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No way.

It's no time to shorten the asset base for a short term gain, because mid to long term, KK and that 9th pick will likely be worth much more.

Our asset base is nowhere near close enough to what is needed to make that type of move.

How much time before Kopi is over the hill? Or even to his present level?

You would be trading our future for another Price/Weber/Petry. Players that are soon to hit their twilight and will invariably be trending to cost more than what they bring as time goes on.

Sure, we will be more competitive for a short span, but in the end, without guarantee of winning and with major holes still left to fill.

But in the long term, you will set us up for another major cluster****.

Also: Salary in a static cap league for 3 years, yikes.

Imagine the Oilers said "well we got Hall, RNH and Yakupov, let's go all in and trade our next few 1st rounders"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m against sending offer sheet to either but why PLD over Barzal?

Probability to get either is low but it's higher with Barzal due to the Islanders having cap trouble.

1) PLD might sign but Blue Jackets match

2) Barzal might not sign where the Islanders have cap issues. This might not be the case if the Islanders can move Leddy at the draft (before free agency)

Offer sheets rarely work. The only one I can see working is the Lightning. If they don't move guys at the draft (guys with NTC's), they will be heading to free agency with massive challenges and two big RFA assets.

Circumstance and context is likely the only way you can get someone to sign an offer sheet and the other team don't match

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Sure, but for PLD, I’d stick to the 8.4 limit to keep it to one 1st.
I’d like to see a 1+ PPG season on the resume before going as high as 10.
Push it to 9 or 9.5m. A #1 center with size would be huge for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad