Speculation: Offer Sheets - What would you like to see Bergevin do?

Offer sheets - What would you like to see Bergevin do next?

• Total voters

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
What would you give up for Laine that the Jets would want?

To get Laine, you offer what you can but a tiny bit below what you would give in a OS. So for 10.5 it's 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. They would probably ask for Suzuki and a 1st for starters. Then you add a RFA perhaps or a D prospect. The jets might want players now instead of waiting for those picks...
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To get Laine, you offer what you can but a tiny bit below what you would give in a OS. So for 10.5 it's 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. They would probably ask for Suzuki and a 1st for starters. Then you add a RFA perhaps or a D prospect. The jets might want players now instead of waiting for those picks...
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's not enough. Jets don't want to rebuild.

You're going to need some kind of package including one or most probably 2 of Gallagher, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling.

Reactions: Snowman

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
What would you give up for Laine that the Jets would want?
We just don't have the assets. The recent three drafts look to have added some good prospects. But they haven't increased in value enough yet to be the cornerstones of a blockbuster deal. I think they're worth more to us than they are to others.

But the barren wasteland of draft garbage from 2008-2015 has limited our ability to make big trades.

The hostile offer-sheet is the way to go. Don't ask, just take. They match Laine at 10.5m, sure whatever . See if they match Connor at 8.5m.

Everyone is saying we don't have the cap space, but it will take a bit of manoeuvring, and that's why they paid the big bucks.

On a related note, anyone discouraged that we can be up against the cap, while icing a mediocre team without signing significant ufas?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We just don't have the assets. The recent three drafts look to have added some good prospects. But they haven't increased in value enough yet to be the cornerstones of a blockbuster deal. I think they're worth more to us than they are to others.

But the barren wasteland of draft garbage from 2008-2015 has limited our ability to make big trades.

The hostile offer-sheet is the way to go. Don't ask, just take. They match Laine at 10.5m, sure whatever . See if they match Connor at 8.5m.

Everyone is saying we don't have the cap space, but it will take a bit of manoeuvring, and that's why they paid the big bucks.

On a related note, anyone discouraged that we can be up against the cap, while icing a mediocre team without signing significant ufas?

I would offer sheet Point or Marner at 13 million. We can make the cap space and it's the only realistic chance we have of getting a top flight rfa.

Your 8.5 million os for Connor is similar: perhaps more than a team facing cap issues can afford to pay their rfa.

I also think it's highly unlikely any outrageous os doesn't get matched. Our best chance to get a high end player was trading two 2nds (i.e. Shaw and Byron) for PK Subban. A big missed opportunity.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That's not enough. Jets don't want to rebuild.

You're going to need some kind of package including one or most probably 2 of Gallagher, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling.
Then you go with the OS at 10.5 and see. If not, status quo. TANK for Lafreniere! ;)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Then you go with the OS at 10.5 and see. If not, status quo. TANK for Lafreniere! ;)

Since the Jets would match right away, and MB knows that, I have to think these rumors that MTL's interested in Laine were fabricated by people in the internet sports industry to increase clicks on their website, and thus increase advertising revenue.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
For Laine I'd try to trade, no offer sheet there. Let's try to keep our 1st in 2020. Of course they'll ask for a good young player + a roster player and probably more (pick-s or b prospect-s).

It all depends on if MB and Molson want to win now or keep waiting that our prospect pool blosom. Weber and price ain't getting any younger but do they believe they can give us both at least 5 years or strong hockey?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Provorov Before Laine IMO. He’ll play more minutes and harder minutes than Laine. He’d be the best LD on the team, never mind a top-3 on our team now and for the length of whatever contract we offer. Stronger skater than Laine as well.

I get Laine scores a lot and we need that, but Provorov would help our team more.

Anyhow, we’re done with OS I think. If it’s an issue for their teams to sign, I’d investigate trade options. That said, for Laine and Provorov, I would hesitate offering $10.5.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Threaten the Flyers with a 8.45 by 5 offer sheet on Provorov. But offer them Mete + Drouin as an alternative and see if they bite.

Ryan O'Byrne

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario
I’ m under the understanding offer sheets were meant to ensure players got paid what they are worth and not for the purpose of just paying outrageously high salary to steal players away.so the offer mb made was what offer sheets are suppose to look like imho. So I’d say no to offering to much on any offer sheet just to get the player.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I’ m under the understanding offer sheets were meant to ensure players got paid what they are worth and not for the purpose of just paying outrageously high salary to steal players away.so the offer mb made was what offer sheets are suppose to look like imho. So I’d say no to offering to much on any offer sheet just to get the player.

So the goal of an offer sheet is to give the other team's GM a summer vacation while you do all the negotiating work for them? That's news to me.

Good guy Bergy strikes again!

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What about no offersheet? What about taking conventional means to improve the team, like every single GM does? i.e. UFA market, transactions... Bergevin has been trying as hard as possible to avoid those routes in the past 7 years. Always going for cheap/under-the-radar, low-risk signings/acquisitions when it's a matter of ADDING to the team, and doing trades and signings otherwise only with the objective to replace what he just lost or what he's giving up (Prust->Kassian. Ryder->Briere. Briere->Parenteau. Parenteau->Semin. Subban->Weber. Eller->Shaw. Emelin->Alzner. Galchenyuk->Domi. Niemi->Kinkaid. Benn->Chiarot. Shaw->Cousins).

What about using trades and the UFA market to actually add over what we've already got? Original idea, I know...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would offer sheet Point or Marner at 13 million. We can make the cap space and it's the only realistic chance we have of getting a top flight rfa.

Your 8.5 million os for Connor is similar: perhaps more than a team facing cap issues can afford to pay their rfa.

I also think it's highly unlikely any outrageous os doesn't get matched. Our best chance to get a high end player was trading two 2nds (i.e. Shaw and Byron) for PK Subban. A big missed opportunity.
Leafs fan dropping by in peace.

Please get Marner to sign an offer sheet -- at any price or term. Then he's yours or ours.

Marner would look great on the Habs, and if that's what it takes to reach a contract I'm all for it. There's no guarantee the Leafs would match at Marner's price -- whatever that might be.

Jul 6, 2016
Leafs fan dropping by in peace.

Please get Marner to sign an offer sheet -- at any price or term. Then he's yours or ours.

Marner would look great on the Habs, and if that's what it takes to reach a contract I'm all for it. There's no guarantee the Leafs would match at Marner's price -- whatever that might be.

He will stay yours then, because Leafs are super rich and your GM will find a way to make space for him under the cap.

Habs and Bergevin will look bad, again .....

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He will stay yours then, because Leafs are super rich and your GM will find a way to make space for him under the cap.

Habs and Bergevin will look bad, again .....
I wish.

I had little patience for Nylander, even less for Marner, and I am forever grateful that Trouba is not the Leafs' problem.

I really can't stand the "me too" generation.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Since the Jets would match right away, and MB knows that, I have to think these rumors that MTL's interested in Laine were fabricated by people in the internet sports industry to increase clicks on their website, and thus increase advertising revenue.

That's all it ever is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad