Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
A bit inflammatory, don't you think? I am not a big Nylander fan myself, but I readily admit he is a 1st line winger.
No, just truthful. On the Jets he's a third liner. So, why would the Jets overpay Nylander and waste the picks to have him play on the third line.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Allrighty then! You have inside info on the Nylander Clan and Know Willys'mindset' and there are plenty of teams better than the Leafs....
So ,the Stanley cup is irrelevant to his life as a professional hockey player...yeah,no I'm not buyin'that at all! You're out there pretty deep in left field I think!

Yes, I do. Love it when people think that all players want to get less paid just to win a cup. Hockey is their job, the main priority is to get paid.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The Leafs almost certainly match at 5 x 8.0. They wouldn't like it but I have a hard time seeing them not. The other teams then just hiked up a league comparable they may regret later(the biggest reason offer sheets are rare). The only winner in that offer sheet is Nylander.

Once you jump past the 8.1+ barrier into 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd I'm not sure anyone would want to pay those picks for the privilege of paying Nylander 8.2 million dollars.

The only realistic scenario would be if a really good team were willing to pay 4 1sts for him at 7 x 7.25 which I also doubt happens, but I don't see anyone wanting to give up 2 1sts+ for him at 8.2, and I don't see anyone bothering at less than that either because the Leafs will likely match, and unsuccessful offer sheets really only benefit the player hiking up the price is obviously bad for the matching team but also hikes up comparables for the future.

Say The Preds offered Nylander 8.0 x 5(if they could), the Leafs matched, then in 3 years Tolvanen is RFA with 1 50 point, 1 60 point, and 1 65 point season under a 88 million cap. He's going to say you offered Nylander 8, I'm better(the stats, not going to get into a talent comparison) plus a cap raise I want 9.5 x 5 which he'd pretty much be in line for with a pay bump and cap raise.

While I get what your saying I was speaking more for Nylander than any of the teams wanting to sign him. If he gets a 5 year deal that puts him right in the middle of his prime for a 7 or 8 year deal. He'll be able to truly maximize his value.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
We're much more likely to see Matthews get an massive offer sheet next season if he gets to RFA.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Strong along the boards, lol. You know own I am a Leafs fan right? He was meh last year against Washington not phenominal. He has major warts and is carried a ton by Matthews.

That is a false statement. Everyone performs better with nylander on the ice except roman polak. Willy is carried by no one.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
On Winnipeg he is. He sure as hell can't beat out Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers or Connor. So, in other words the Jets would have zero reason to offer sheet him .
Winnipeg should worry about teams offersheeting their Laine

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Money aside, it's appears that Nylander might be the fourth best forward with the Leafs. Nylander might want to have a more prominent role elsewhere as soon as possible. There is always the danger the offer is matched, so Nylander might just want to go the "Trouba" route. Take short term contracts (yea does cost him money) and then become a UFA in four years.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nylander is a very good player, but realistically a 2nd line Winger. Jet fans mentioned being a 3rd liner, but this is due to their deep depth and not to downgrade his abilities.

Anyways, it seems he likes the Leafs. He plays 1st line minutes, hockey town and will get paid. There is little chance he gets traded and the Leafs will package other players and picks before they consider moving him. He will be extended long term.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Money aside, it's appears that Nylander might be the fourth best forward with the Leafs. Nylander might want to have a more prominent role elsewhere as soon as possible. There is always the danger the offer is matched, so Nylander might just want to go the "Trouba" route. Take short term contracts (yea does cost him money) and then become a UFA in four years.

Dubas said last month he has a plan in which Nylander, Marner and Matthews could be signed long term. Nylander said he isn't sure how that could be accomplished under the NHL salary cap, especially following the seven-year, $77 million contract John Tavares signed with the Maple Leafs on July 1, but would welcome such a feat.

"I think it would be amazing," Nylander said. "We've been playing together now for a couple of years and having a lot of fun and a lot of success together. It would be a blast to be together for a long time."

Nylander says 'no extra pressure or urgency' to sign with Maple Leafs

He's also said this off-season he's looking for a long term deal with Toronto. This isn't a Trouba situation, he wants to stay in Toronto long term.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Money aside, it's appears that Nylander might be the fourth best forward with the Leafs. Nylander might want to have a more prominent role elsewhere as soon as possible.

Why would this be the case? Did Ryan Ellis want to get out of Nashville because they have a lot of great defensemen? Are players trying to leave Tampa because of all their talent? Players like winning and they like being on good teams. If you look at examples of players wanting to leave, pretty sure more often they're leaving bad teams.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
The only OS that would be dangerous for Toronto would be a 3 year one. And for the same reason I can't really imagine another team offering it anyway.
one to five years would be dangerous

5yrs @ $6,088,981 - $8,118,641 (First, second and third-round picks)... depending on the team that could benefit the team or Toronto (they would have to match better teams due to late pick selections)

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Why would this be the case? Did Ryan Ellis want to get out of Nashville because they have a lot of great defensemen? Are players trying to leave Tampa because of all their talent? Players like winning and they like being on good teams. If you look at examples of players wanting to leave, pretty sure more often they're leaving bad teams.
This would solely be based around Nylander and if he's good at being a career winger instead of a center.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Why would Winnipeg offer sheet a third line winger? The have zero need for Nylander.
Winterpeg has much bigger issues to worry about than pursuing Nylander like signing their leading scorer and Captain who is a UFA next season.
They also have Laine and Connor to sign big contracts.
It looks like they only have a one year window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad