Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Any team considering making life difficult for the Leafs had better be prepared for retribution! Leafs have deep pockets!

What do they do with them? What retribution is there to be had?

None of the other GMs want to see a single team rise too high on the totem pole, especially the Leafs given their presence in the media spotlight.

How do you get hammered back by Toronto? They offersheet one of your young guys in retaliation? That’s moronic. If you’re going to offer sheet it has to be for a damn good reason, specifically that it makes your team better despite the compensation given up.

Toronto isn’t going to be interested in offer sheets for prospects they don’t need just for the sake of making a show of strength.

That is machismo and if Dubas was that simple in his decision making then the Leafs are epically screwed with him as GM.

The gap between Nylander and our 13th forward isn’t that big. We could absorb that loss if necessary. It opens a spot up for someone like Kapanen or Brown to get better minutes and they’re more than capable replacements for Nylander.

I’m not suggesting they’re as good, but I would trade Nylander for Kapanen+1st,2nd,3rd 2019 picks as an example.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

None of the other GMs want to see a single team rise too high on the totem pole, especially the Leafs given their presence in the media spotlight.

How do you get hammered back by Toronto? They offersheet one of your young guys in retaliation? That’s moronic. If you’re going to offer sheet it has to be for a damn good reason, specifically that it makes your team better despite the compensation given up.

Toronto isn’t going to be interested in offer sheets for prospects they don’t need just for the sake of making a show of strength.

That is machismo and if Dubas was that simple in his decision making then the Leafs are epically screwed with him as GM.

The gap between Nylander and our 13th forward isn’t that big. We could absorb that loss if necessary. It opens a spot up for someone like Kapanen or Brown to get better minutes and they’re more than capable replacements for Nylander.

I’m not suggesting they’re as good, but I would trade Nylander for Kapanen+1st,2nd,3rd 2019 picks as an example.
The retribution doesn't have to be immediate....and Willy is a step above Kappy ...no one is offer sheeting Kappy!
Also,getting that many picks back can be used as currency as well!

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I know not many offer sheets happen and the chance of it happening is slim but as a fan of Nylander I'd love to see poile offer sheet him. Say 7 years 52.5 million. Probably would be matched though
No one is going to offer Nylander 7.5 a year. What a mistake that would be. He is Eberle level soft, the type that wilts in the playoffs.

Reactions: Snowman

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
LOL deep pocket and caphit is a big difference.
Point is...most Gm's wouldn't want to get into a money battle with the Leafs, especially if the Leafs become successful in the near future...This is all assuming Willy would leave for a few dollars more! I doubt very much he lives a very positive looking future!

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
No one is going to offer Nylander 7.5 a year. What a mistake that would be. He is Eberle level soft, the type that wilts in the playoffs.
I don't understand why people post just pure crap. He was poor this year against boston but had a phenomenal series against Washington. He's not going to check everyone but the dude is strong along the boards. Stop spewing nonsense.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
I don't understand why people post just pure crap. He was poor this year against boston but had a phenomenal series against Washington. He's not going to check everyone but the dude is strong along the boards. Stop spewing nonsense.
Strong along the boards, lol. You know own I am a Leafs fan right? He was meh last year against Washington not phenominal. He has major warts and is carried a ton by Matthews.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel like a team could offer a 4 year, 32ish million dollar contract.

Nylander might be interested because he gets a big contract that brings him to UFA. And I’m not sure the leafs would want to match that. Plus the team isn’t losing multiple 1st round picks.

Due to not playing 40 games in his first season, Nylander has 5 RFA years left. 4 year deal doesn't take him to UFA.

Reactions: Grabner

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

I wouldn't blindly.

Depends who the picks are coming from.
If it's a team who is on the bubble (safest bet as it's the average possible selection) the picks are 16, 47 and 78 (ish obviously) then it's could be a decent return depending on the draft year.
It could also be a team that has a horrible season and it becomes a 5, 36 and 67 which becomes a yes to me easily.
He could also make a team a real contender in case it becomes a 28, 59 and 90. Which is an easy no.

You also can't see it as Nylander for Kapanen. If a team offered us Kap +1+2+3 that's one thing, but that's not the offer sheet. Kapanens value isnt added.

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
One more time...

Offer sheet Nylander and you accomplish one of two things;

1. You give the Leafs extra picks to use to surround a still excellent forward core with great and cheap depth in the future (or maybe one of the picks even becomes as good as Nylander?).

2. You give them the necessary disposable assets (extra 1st and 2nd) to get a Trouba or a Parayko type big right shot D...knowing this place we'll hear 'those guys are both at best number four guys anyways and the Leafs D is still crap!', but you know what I mean.

Nylander signs for six years at just over 6 within the next two weeks.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
By 22 ya kinda either have guts or ya don’t.

He lives in fear of this happening again.

No, he lives in fear of watching his dad get smashed at every opportunity in the 90's during that era of hockey.

He wants and will have a 15+ year career and taking as little hits as possible is going to stretch that even longer.

It is what it is.

Reactions: Sami Salo

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'd prefer not to give up four 1sts for Nylander, myself.

(Yes, it's four 1sts. Recall the "five year limit" on determining offer sheet AAV, and see the CapFriendly offer sheet calculator)

EDIT: And even if you reduced the term to 5 years, the Preds can't do a 1st/2nd/3rd offer sheet because the 3rd was traded to Vegas for Emelin.
Yessssssssss, Nashville, go ahead and offer sheet Nylander! We look forward to shutting him down in the playoffs!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Now he’s a scared player
Because of that hit
How do the two not relate?
I separate it very easily...self preservation (not wanting to get your bell rung) does not make a player 'gutless'! It means you are smart ,not scared! Seriously, who wants to get injured? Willy has been playing since he was old enough to put on skates ! I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't be playing if fear was an issue. Yes, he isn't my kind of player(power forward) but just being in this league,having the early success he has had,still learning doesn't mean he can't be effective! He will survive!

Reactions: Sami Salo

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Nylanders agent, his dad, only cares about money. Stop thinking that he is loyal to the leafs. Cus he’s not.
It may not be about loyalty! It might be more about 'chances of winning a cup". You know that immortal thing that players grow up wanting! Leafs are likely his best bet to be successful!
Would you leave his current situation(playing alongside Matthews) for a less sure opportunity? These players are raking in tens of millions of dollars over their career anyway, I think the opportunity to win has importance in the decision!

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
It may not be about loyalty! It might be more about 'chances of winning a cup". You know that immortal thing that players grow up wanting! Leafs are likely his best bet to be successful!
Would you leave his current situation(playing alongside Matthews) for a less sure opportunity? These players are raking in tens of millions of dollars over their career anyway, I think the opportunity to win has importance in the decision!

He don’t care about cups. He cares about money. Michael Nylander has been tutoring William since young age, I’m sure that William got the same mindset and goals. And there are plenty of better teams than the leafs, especially leafs without Nylander.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He don’t care about cups. He cares about money. Michael Nylander has been tutoring William since young age, I’m sure that William got the same mindset and goals. And there are plenty of better teams than the leafs, especially leafs without Nylander.
Allrighty then! You have inside info on the Nylander Clan and Know Willys'mindset' and there are plenty of teams better than the Leafs....
So ,the Stanley cup is irrelevant to his life as a professional hockey player...yeah,no I'm not buyin'that at all! You're out there pretty deep in left field I think!

Reactions: jasonleaffan

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Probably wouldn't work out and Leafs would match but if a GM was feeling petty they could certainly force the price up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad