Proposal: Offer sheet Nylander

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Dubas said last month he has a plan in which Nylander, Marner and Matthews could be signed long term. Nylander said he isn't sure how that could be accomplished under the NHL salary cap, especially following the seven-year, $77 million contract John Tavares signed with the Maple Leafs on July 1, but would welcome such a feat.

"I think it would be amazing," Nylander said. "We've been playing together now for a couple of years and having a lot of fun and a lot of success together. It would be a blast to be together for a long time."

Nylander says 'no extra pressure or urgency' to sign with Maple Leafs

He's also said this off-season he's looking for a long term deal with Toronto. This isn't a Trouba situation, he wants to stay in Toronto long term.

I don't think any fan should believe what hockey players, coaches or executives say in public. What else would Nylander say? I would to leave? What else would Dubas say in public, we have no chance of signing players long term? I'm suggesting folks to think, and it's an option that any player, in this case Nylander might want to explore free agency sooner.
To hang on and believe what players and others say in public about contracts.... is just foolish.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why would this be the case? Did Ryan Ellis want to get out of Nashville because they have a lot of great defensemen? Are players trying to leave Tampa because of all their talent? Players like winning and they like being on good teams. If you look at examples of players wanting to leave, pretty sure more often they're leaving bad teams.

Trouba's on a good team and he wants to leave. Larkin just signed a five year contract when Detroit may have offered eight. Panarin seems to be looking elsewhere. Yes, some players do look at different options instead of signing long term contracts. IMO, Nylander is different type of guy. He just might not looking at free agency as soon as possible. All I'm saying it's a possibility, and all Leaf homerism dismissing the possibility seems just wishful thinking.
Hey it would great for the Leafs, their fans, maybe even the league if three young good/very players stayed on the same team for 10 years.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I'd prefer not to give up four 1sts for Nylander, myself.

(Yes, it's four 1sts. Recall the "five year limit" on determining offer sheet AAV, and see the CapFriendly offer sheet calculator)

EDIT: And even if you reduced the term to 5 years, the Preds can't do a 1st/2nd/3rd offer sheet because the 3rd was traded to Vegas for Emelin.

Wow... I like Nylander a lot for the Leafs, but that seems like an damn effective deterrent. None of those four firsts from the Preds are likely lottery picks but that is still an incredible amount of assets to forfeit for one player. 1st/2nd/3rd is more palatable for a player of Nylander's caliber, but the counter-point there is you still have to overpay him to get him out of Toronto in the first place; the Leafs would obviously match any reasonable offer.

$8,118,641 does seem like it might fall in the sweet-spot to pry him away from the Leafs though. Nylander is a great player... but that is a lot of Cap to have tied up in him.

Last edited:

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I believe the Leafs would match unless they are getting back 2 1st atleast, though 5 year 40m would put them in a tough a spot. If a team is really interested in him they would need to go slightly over that or tru to workout something similar to the Kessel trade of Toronto is willing to deal him.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nylanders agent, his dad, only cares about money. Stop thinking that he is loyal to the leafs. Cus he’s not.

Once again, he will be signed to a long term deal. If when he is 29 he decides to chase one last payday, they would have already gotten his best years.

I don't care if the entire roster walks 10 years from now if they managed to be a team that goes deep every year and win a cup or two during the process (like the Hawks were not too long ago).

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Actually the Leafs have won six rounds in the past 20 years. You should be able to count the Jets playoff rounds a lot easier.
Since 1979/80....four playoff round wins, almost forty years. Arrogance? from who?
damn you just handed that poor boy the rek

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Winnipeg should worry about teams offersheeting their Laine
I'm not worried about anyone offer sheeting Laine. He wouldn't sign it anyway he loves Winnipeg.

There is about a 100 time more likely possibility that Matthews signs an offer sheet, as he already doesn't get along with Babcock.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Any team considering making life difficult for the Leafs had better be prepared for retribution! Leafs have deep pockets!

... but they likely won’t have the cap space to be over aggressive with any significant players.

Other offer sheets have happened without any retribution.

Personally I hate offer sheets... but just sayin’.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Laine makes case he can be better than Matthews
He wanted to come to Toronto over Winnipeg. Can't really blame him
I can't blame Laine for thinking he was the best player, he has made a very good case for himself over the last two years. He probably considers himself very lucky that he didn't end up in the crap hole of Toronto.

It doesn't change the fact that he won't sign an offer sheet.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'd prefer not to give up four 1sts for Nylander, myself.

(Yes, it's four 1sts. Recall the "five year limit" on determining offer sheet AAV, and see the CapFriendly offer sheet calculator)

EDIT: And even if you reduced the term to 5 years, the Preds can't do a 1st/2nd/3rd offer sheet because the 3rd was traded to Vegas for Emelin.
I'm sure they could get the third back for cheap if they felt like it and gmgm didn't realize they were trying to go for an offersheet. But still if Nashville wanted their third I assume Vegas would take a year later second for it

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Wow... I like Nylander a lot for the Leafs, but that seems like an damn effective deterrent. None of those four firsts from the Preds are likely lottery picks but that is still an incredible amount of assets to forfeit for one player. 1st/2nd/3rd is more palatable for a player of Nylander's caliber, but the counter-point there is you still have to overpay him to get him out of Toronto in the first place; the Leafs would obviously match any reasonable offer.

$8,118,641 does seem like it might fall in the sweet-spot to pry him away from the Leafs though. Nylander is a great player... but that is a lot of Cap to have tied up in him.
But what is the net salary Leafs has to offer to be the same as Nasville? 10?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
People are still smoking this pipe full of dreams?
Oh well, tis the summer silly season.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
People are still smoking this pipe full of dreams?
Oh well, tis the summer silly season.
Nashville deserves to ruin a team with an offersheet when they can still get completely ruined if Weber retires for the contract Philly gave him

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Why tho if Weber retires with a year left Nashville has like 30 million recapture penalty unless the nhl waives it
Why do you think having that negative cap penalty would entice them into a cap space battle?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Why do you think having that negative cap penalty would entice them into a cap space battle?
I’m just saying if any team has justification to pull an offer sheet it’s Nashville. I doubt the nhl will just toss them a thirty million cap penalty anyways but it’s technically the rules

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Winterpeg has much bigger issues to worry about than pursuing Nylander like signing their leading scorer and Captain who is a UFA next season.
They also have Laine and Connor to sign big contracts.
It looks like they only have a one year window.
He was saying the Jets would be 1 of the last teams to want to OS Nylander due to lack of need for him.
Reading posts in context helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->