OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The plan is for at least 50 in Finland. Maybe Finland will luck out and nobody will invest but given the expansion in the rest of Europe, expect one in Helsinki soon.
Those damn Yanks brought us Taco Bell, I went when it opened and it was the best thing ever
But then they clearly cut down on the quality and it never was the same again
A Crunch Wrap Supreme was really good one day but on the other it was a completely tasteless mess.

I'm expecting the same phenomenon to happen once again when I first go eat at a Finnish KFC.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Those damn Yanks brought us Taco Bell, I went when it opened and it was the best thing ever
But then they clearly cut down on the quality and it never was the same again
A Crunch Wrap Supreme was really good one day but on the other it was a completely tasteless mess.

I'm expecting the same phenomenon to happen once again when I first go eat at a Finnish KFC.

It's the same company that lies with it's name. There is nothing yum about Yum! foods.

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Nah no one on there right mind eats KFC anyways lol.

My wife and I went to Jamaica in 1986. Part of that was to get a better view of Halley's Comet. There was a KFC 2 blocks up the street from our hotel in Ocho Rios. We did not go there.

We did go across the street to the open air Pizza Hut for lunch one day to avoid yet another round of curried goat (AKA green death with tiny bones).

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I did mine several years ago and its about as boring as I hoped it wouldn't be. My last name is Evans, which is a very Welsh name. My mothers maiden name is Nichols, which is a northern French name. Ended up 70% southern Britain ( which is
Wales) and northern France, which are generally close enough genetically they are often grouped together. Other 30% was Scots-Irish which isn't surprising being both families migrated through Tennessee and into northern Arkansas ( ozarks).

I'm not really worried about the DNA thing. With as much blood as I have drawn for medical reasons they probably would have it from it anyways.

My brother is the genealogy expert in the family.

Based on your details, you might be from the Norman Conquest or your more recent ancestors followed the same path from Normandy to the UK.

Congrats, Mister E-vans! May the road rise to meet you.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Based on your details, you might be from the Norman Conquest or your more recent ancestors followed the same path from Normandy to the UK.

Same here. The last name's translation has multiple translations.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

75-80% of the Evans' are in Wales so I'd say it's a good bet. It's why I figure there has to be some Norwegian in there somewhere as well.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I learned some really cool things about genealogy through this process, just reading how DNA is created and passed from parents to offspring. I think I and most people that I know assumed it was something like, if Dad is 100% German and mom is 100% Polish, that the kid is 50% German and 50% Polish. But apparently you can get more from one or the other. In fact the most interesting thing I learned is that, while very rare (1 in 8.4M), an individual could potentially be genetically unrelated to a grandparent. Another way to put those odds, is to flip a coin and land on heads 23 times in a row. So there would currently be about 40 people in the US right now who are technically unrelated to one of their grandparents, crazy stuff!

Reactions: Viqsi

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well, 50% of your genetic material comes from each parent(except in cases of gene deletion/duplication which of course is abnormal). Some genes are recessive and dont get expressed, but in normal inheritance its 50/50. The case of having no genes from a grandparent is exactly as you described. Youd have to have a sperm or egg that got all 23 chromosomes from one parent.

Reactions: Viqsi

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
If anybody has tickets for Pearl Jam on 4/2 that they can't use, I'll take them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Almost two years late and I FINALLY watched Solo: A Star Wars Story... it's certainly down there with Attack of the Clones contending for the worst SW movie.
I didn't think it was that bad. Heck of a lot better than The Last Jedi and a bit better than the prequels. Granted I'm not a big fan of the prequels.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I didn't think it was that bad. Heck of a lot better than The Last Jedi and a bit better than the prequels. Granted I'm not a big fan of the prequels.

I’m on your side of the Solo discussion. Not sure there is another SW movie as divisive as this one though.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Eh most of the Solo hate has little to do with the movie itself and the beginning of fans sticking it to Disney

I didn't think the plot was particularly compelling and the Han and Lando actors didn't hit the target for me, especially Han. I thought Ewan McGregor was great in the prequels as Obi-Wan, he seemed to study and pick up on Alec Guinness.

I also loved The Last Jedi...

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Never watched any Star Wars movies myself (I might have seen one as a kid but can't remember) or the LOTR movies but my friends dragged me to watch both of the latest Avengers despite me not having seen any of those earlier.

At the very least I have seen Deadpool 2 alone just because I had the freedom of a car for the 1st time ever. It was fine.

Am I cool yet?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Never watched any Star Wars movies myself (I might have seen one as a kid but can't remember) or the LOTR movies but my friends dragged me to watch both of the latest Avengers despite me not having seen any of those earlier.

At the very least I have seen Deadpool 2 alone just because I had the freedom of a car for the 1st time ever. It was fine.

Am I cool yet?
I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone that is a fan of SW, LotR, or Comics be defined as cool.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Am I cool yet?
You definitely aren't sufficiently uncool, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad